It's All Over But the Scavenging of Typewriters and Glue - The Fallout Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jonesy, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Seeing as we lost the previous thread to the communists hack, it's time we took it back, just like we did with Anchorage. So here we have it, a thread dedicated to the popular post-apocalyptic video games series. From the NCR to the Capitol Wasteland, from the Mojave to the Commonwealth, let's discuss the good discussion.

A few questions to get the ball rolling.
    1. When did you first get into the Fallout series?
    2. Which has been your favorite game so far?
    3. What are your thoughts on the latest installment of the series?
    4. What would you like to see from a new Fallout game?

1. I picked up Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics before New Vegas came out, since the previews were of great interest. I only played 2 (Tactics didn't work, and 1 had too many time limits), but it was enough to get me hooked. I got 3 and New Vegas in due course.

2. Probably 3, for its atmosphere and settings. New Vegas was formerly my favorite for mechanics, but 4 seems to be replacing it in that regard.

3. Has its flaws. Bugs aside, some of the RPG elements seem a bit weak, and parts of the settlement mechanic could use better introduction. But other than that, I'm having a blast. It's fun making a network of heavily fortified safe zones, which provide artillery-based fire support in a fight if need be. The new perk system works better than I expected. Boston is also an interesting choice of setting, and a welcome change from the Mojave Wasteland.

4. Somewhere new, with its own unique feel. Maybe a game set further North, in Alaska or Canada. Or do the opposite and go down South; I hear there was to be a game set in Florida, which might be interesting. In mechanical terms, I'd like to see the new combat system coupled with more meaningful RPG elements, along with a return of the settlement mechanic with expansion and improvement.

Dolphinowl245 likes this.
  2. Macadam

Macadam Starship Captain

THRIST - First got into it with Three! Got it one day for Christmas from my beloved Nana, played quite a lot of it!

TOO - Honestly, 4 has been so far. It does have a lot of dumbed down features and doesn't exactly feel like Fallout, but goddamn, it's fun!

THERD - The greatest Bethesda title thus far just behind Oblivion and Morrowind. It feels more like an Arcade Exploration RPG, similar to Borderlands. Infact, it feels like a Fallout Mutant of Borderlands, Dead Island and Far-Cry, and that certainly isn't a bad thing!

FOR - The Master's return!!!

Chrillzilla, Heartstrings and Jonesy like this.
  3. Surn_Thing

Surn_Thing Pangalactic Porcupine

1. Fallout 3
    2. Skyrim
    3. Fun to watch, especially if the player is creative.
    4. Takes place in Tamriel, crossover with Elder Scrolls.

4. Jonesy

I think that would be more of a mod or fanfiction thing. Pulling a crossover between two completely separate IPs with very different settings isn't something I see Bethesda doing. But considering someone made a very successful crossover between Fallout and My Little Pony, I'm sure the fans could do it.

DDUDE900 likes this.
  5. Surn_Thing

Surn_Thing Pangalactic Porcupine

They already made a reference to nirnroot . It might be believable that the Elder Scrolls and Fallout take place in the same planet, just in vastly different times and places.

DDUDE900 likes this.
  6. Jonesy

Easter eggs should rarely, if ever, be considered canon.

Shuredda likes this.
  7. Yvejuzul

Yvejuzul Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Started with Fallout 3. Enjoyed the game and the DLCs that came with it.
    2. It's a bit of a clash with New Vegas and Fallout 4, Fallout 4 of course I have invested a whole lot of hours in less time than I ever have with New Vegas.
    3. A pretty fun romp across a new state. Feels a bit on the repetitive side after having beaten the main story, but hey, gathering junk that can be used to make stuff for settlements is all well good fun.
    4. How about a Fallout game that takes place outside of the United States? It would be interesting to see how other countries are faring, Post-War.

Chrillzilla and Jonesy like this.
  8. Jonesy

Yeah, I was thinking that a game set in China might be interesting, to see the other side of the story. There was also a hypothetical game to be set in Europe just before the war, too.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_Resource_Wars

Dolphinowl245 likes this.
  9. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

1. Fallout 3 was my intro to this amazing series. (This means I have only played 3, New Vegas, and now the masterpiece that is 4)
    2. 3 was good for story, New Vegas had wonderful abundance of quests, but 4 is my favorite simply because of the sheer amount of things you can muck about with and find. (and settlements)
    3. YES YOU CAN! MADE, MY DREAMS, COME TRUE. JUST, DO IT. (123 hours into it. no, really, 123.)
    4. As a Canadian, I would like to see either an Alaskan location, with more bears, wolves, and northern enemies to face (God Ive had enough fighting bugs), or my Hockey stick swinging bandit filled nation.

Chrillzilla and Jonesy like this.
  10. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I don't play, but my son is addicted. He was showing me the one in the Mojave desert. I recognized almost every spot he was showing me. Even the building with the dinosaur. (We stopped there when I was young). The Mojave used to be my backyard. I think it's so cool that a game used actual places instead of all the made up stuff. He just recently got Fallout 4, and I haven't seen much of him since.

Dolphinowl245, Benkinz99 and Jonesy like this.
  11. Jonesy

That would be Fallout: New Vegas. The dinosaur appears in the town of Novac (named after the half-destroyed 'No Vacancy' sign), but it's not a real geographic IRL.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Novac

Interestingly, I know a guy who lives near Boston, but I'm not sure how familiar he is with the locations in that game. I've certainly learned a few of the basic landmarks in the area. For instance, I didn't realize that Salem was in that area.

12. Kashmir

The town may be fake, but there is a dinosaur next to a building (it's not biting anything that I can remember). I think it's on the way to the canyon, but it may be closer to Page. It's been over 30 yrs since I was over that way, but, it was there at one time.

13. Benkinz99

RIP your Son.
    In all seriousness I have been playing Fallout 4 A LOT. I love everything about it. It would be nice to have more quests that aren't "someone got kidnapped" or "go here and kill (insert enemy here)". I swear, one of these days I'm gonna get a mod that shuts Preston up! But apart from the repeating and never ending quests from Preston (I'm supposed to be the general, not the errand boy!) the game is superbly crafted. My only regret is that my computer cant run it at a higher graphics setting.

Dolphinowl245 and Jonesy like this.
  14. Jonesy

You could be thinking of the Cabazon Dinosaurs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabazon_Dinosaurs

Yeah, I'm sick of those quests as well. It'd be nice if you could order other Minutemen to do those quests once you become general.

Pro tip; if you get any Minutemen quests that require you to talk to Preston after receiving payment from the settlers, you can put off speaking to him and the quest will automatically be successfully completed when the timer runs out.

15. Kashmir

No. This place is in Arizona, never been to Cabazon. It's a big green brontosaurus type dino next to a white (if I remember correctly) building.
    Now my son has decided to make Nuka Cola minus the asbestos (that may not be the correct name) and he really likes the Ink Spots after listening to the Fallout radio.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  16. Benkinz99

Really? sweet. I no longer have to build stairs to every roof to reach that teleporting minutemen. First time I found him on the roof it took me half an hour before I realized I could build stairs up.

Guys.... The reason why your character in fallout 4 can operate power armor without power armor training is BECAUSE HE/SHE WAS IN THE MILITARY BEFORE THE BOMBS DROPPED.
    That is why your character just struts about in power armor like its the most natural thing in the world to him. He/she knows how to operate power armor and therefore feels comfortable in it.

Also, the reason why in the first 3 games (and New Vegas) power armor didn't need fuel cells, is because the original T-45 power armor (curtsy of loading hints and such) was built to work with short lasting fusion cells (or fusion cores as their called in game) whereas the other games the armor was built with special cores that lasted for basically ever. This doesn't really explain why we can find suits of T-51 armor that still needs fusion cores since their were the first to be made with long lasting cores, but meh.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
  17. SparklySheep

SparklySheep Void-Bound Voyager

1. Third Fallout. I liked it at the time but it was pretty shallow. Didn't like the story at all. Exploration was as good as Oblivion.
    2. Tie between New Vegas and the second one. The second one fixed all my problems with the first game. First game has aged poorly but was still good. New Vegas has so much player agency and world building that I can't help but love it.
    3. I hate everything that the fourth game represents. It is a fun game but a terrible Fallout game.
    4. A return to world building and simulation as a priority over "gamifying" everything. Basically undoing all the standard "Bethesda" tropes that have cropped up. Creating more player agency.

Luna Celestica likes this.
  18. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Sooo... just getting it out of the way, I dont play FO4, or any FO game but I like them, I like seeing people play them, specially if they immerse themselves into that "wasteland mindset" thing, and here is the thing I am disturbed about...

There is this youtuber I am watching, he is doing a mission to do blah blah blah and one of his most fortified settlements gets attacked, he had spammed that place with more turrets than BNKR boss in BL2 in a rather small area... so he feels he can ignore the bloody thing and keeps on with his bussiness, he is still in the mission (hes awfuly slow due to duct-tape scavenging) and suddenly gets notified that he lost that settlement, everyone is dead yadayadayada and now he seems rather annoyed by it... does that mean that in FO4, it doesnt really matter how much you weaponize a settlement, you are STILL NEEDED to go save every bloody civvie out there?

19. Jonesy

Pretty much. It is a rare occurrence, but people may die and property will be damaged if you don't intervene. If you do fast travel there soon, chances are they'll be OK. Not only will your turrets give a leg up, but settlers are all but invulnerable. I once had three settlements attacked simultaneously, and I saved them all.

I'm pretty sure that settlements won't be attacked as often if the defense rating is greater than the total resource output, though. I'll need to double-check that.

Corraidhín likes this.
  20. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Makes me think of micro-management on RTS... I think FO would make a nice RTS in hands of the right developer