Dev Blog January 18th - Tech Support

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Supernorn

Supernorn Starbound Artist and Parallax Pixel Pusher Chucklefish

2. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

We need more awesome updates like this. This blows everything out of the water from the last couple weeks. Can't wait to try them out on the nightly!

EDIT: Sheesh, I posted just a minute after this went up. What timing!

3. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Aww yeah, gettin' all Megamn up in da hood.

4. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Soooooooooo we got a spin dash, can i get homing attack, screw attack, and bomb?................i want this

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. PangolinScholar

PangolinScholar Space Spelunker

Well this is a cool update. Im happ about the morph ball being combind into new stuff. And I'm excited for more puns.

Spritley Jack and Axe Garian like this.
  6. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Hey Supernorn? There should be a gif or video in this post, right? Can't see it on my end. If someone can link it to me, that would be awesome.

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Dat wall-jump... mmmm~<3! Tech really needed some love since it's such an awesome part of the game - not to mention MY favorite part in Medroidvania games... I mean, who doesn't love upgrades and neat ass abilities? BUT, I was wondering... will we ever be able to crouch and walk? Or will sonic ball/morph ball fit that need? I'd love to see some dungeons/puzzles/secret that require certain abilities to complete. Need more adventure puzzles/dungeons really reminiscent of metroidvania games! Also, obligatory yay survival!

8. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

so since you removed the 4th tech (which i assume was the body/nanoskins) why not replace it with a Energy Shield/ EN shield or "Shield"
    once activated, it just cuts a 1/3 of your energy capacity and the shield has bonus abilities like a spike shield that damages nearby enemies that get close, a deflector shield that ricochets projectiles, a blast shield that protects against explosions and knock back, a bounce shield that causes the player to bounce and bounce back enemies that come in contact, a detonation shield that explodes and damages enemies. Doesn't even have to be offensive, could be a resistance shield against elements like sandstorms or a glow shield that allows you to glow.

9. Starfeather

Starfeather Phantasmal Quasar

Finally I'll be able to go full Megaman X with the Wall Jump and Dash!

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

I liked this before I even finished reading. It's super futuristic, why not throw in shield-tech? Borderlandsy, but that's really good. Could make health a flat 100 then add upgradeable shield-tech on top to boost it. Items could effect shield-tech instead of health.

Cipherstar likes this.
  11. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Looks like my mods are becomming obsolete. :/

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Make use of activeitems instead of techs, Crystan! It's above my pay grade, but vehicle controller items may be of use for both MMX and Chocobos.

13. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

It's a Gfycat, but here: https://gfycat.com/PitifulWildDungenesscrab

I'm super excited. c:

Axe Garian and Mackinz like this.
  14. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

So just to clarify, survival based abilities are no longer a tech anymore (breathing without air, cold/radiation/hot resistance)? No more nano skin things?

That would be a big step in the right direction!

Axe Garian and Hatsya Souji like this.
  15. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

so, is this post confirmation that 'Tech's in the context of Starbound are a contraction of the word 'Technology' and not 'Technique's?

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

With all the sudden morph ball things, anyone else thinking about Metroid?

[​IMG] VS upload_2016-1-18_14-43-1.png

17. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

It's a tech-supported giant leap of mankind (not just humankind ; fishmenkind, apekind, birdkind, florakind, robokind, gasbagmankind) indeed!

By the way though, would there be ala-Grand Chase Arme's briefly-invincible invisible dash variant?

n1t3n likes this.
  18. Saklad5

Saklad5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Couldn’t you add a fourth slot for all of the “miscellaneous” techs that aren’t being made into variants? It’s a shame to lose them!

Benkinz99 likes this.
  19. Jearen

Jearen Big Damn Hero

I don't know why i say that after all the starbound history buuuuuuut.... Am I the only one who see for ever the back thrusters of the ships always at low power and the under thrusters at full power... o__o

20. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

As long as they do expand on those 3 (....maybe 4) techs, i'm happy, though i know this may mean the end to stuff like the bubble techs and teleports, unless they are reiterating into something else.

I mean, by basically simplifying them into classes (though i'm somewhat on the fence with the morphball, but i do see promise) i can see the extension working well.

• I'm thinking of stuff like Jump having varients like the now scene wall jump,
    • triple jump
    • rocket jump (being retooled like a powerful but unruly double jump, now with the rocket boot animation)
    • hover jump were the second jump holds the player to slide in the same position in the air for a short time,
    • jump smash (a mario/sonic esque jump which you can land on enemies for higher damage depending on height, but with a high risk/high reward of careful aim but chance of highly damaging yourself if you miss.)
    maybe even different dashes

• Already know of the ground and air dashes
    • Ram Dash - dash into enemies, causing some damage but alot of knock back depending on their size, can also break certain blocks
    • Rapid Dash - at a shorter distance, but can do it faster and multiple times.
    • Multi-Dash - being able to dash in any direction
    • Phase Dash - able to dash teleport through walls, the landing location must be open to use
    Then there is the morphball, which seems like they'll be even more complex varients like
    • We already know of the spike(wall climb) and sonic(spin dash)
    • Bomb ball (from the original tech, that was an awesome tech, maybe have it to........break blocks)
    • Phase ball (cloak and phase through enemies at a reduced speed)
    • Bounce ball (bounce around the planet like a bouncing ball)
    • Boulder ball (a bigger ball that can roll over enemies)
    The possibilities are endless ^ ^
    looking forward to the next update