Modding Discussion Vietnam War Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DMPOfficial, Jan 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DMPOfficial

DMPOfficial Astral Cartographer

[​IMG]
    I think it would be badass to see the weapons and combat uniforms (and maybe even vehicles) in Starbound. And since I'm a huge history nerd, this seems like the perfect first modding project for me. But I will need a bit of help in creating this mod since I'm a fairly new. Any help in the creation of this mod will be greatly appreciated.

Things I mostly need help with:
    -Implementation of a custom player ship (I would like to make a Chinook player ship)
    -Pixel art (outfits and vehicles for the most part)

If you wish to help me in this project, contact me on steam at user: DMPOfficial.

[​IMG]
    Thank you. Please leave feedback and suggestions in the comments.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Start here: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/unofficial-modding-ebook.2930/

Ill be honest. The best chance of any mod idea getting made is for the person suggesting it to make it themselves.

If you are trying to learn how to do a particular thing, then pick apart other mods that do similar things. IE player ships. There are many, so pick one and download it, look at how it is set up and reverse-engineer it. That is basically how you learn modding.

DMPOfficial likes this.
  3. DMPOfficial

DMPOfficial Astral Cartographer

I'll be doing the coding for the weapon stats and pixel art for the guns, and some of the outfits. I'm hoping to do the bulk of the work. I'm just looking for extra people to bounce ideas off of, or help with some of the art. Like a collaboration.

Don't you need a second mod in order to implement custom player ships, kind of like how race mods need an extended race menu? I remember seeing something like that on a few ship mods.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Good to hear. Most people think that being an "idea man" is all it takes on their part.

I am always around, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

You only need a compatibility mod for new races, since the default race menu only has 7 slots, which are used by the 7 vanilla races. If you make your ship just overwrite an existing race ship, then there is no compatibility mod required.

DMPOfficial likes this.