Complete Starbound Writing Contest - December 2015

Discussion in 'Community Contests/Giveaways' started by Zebe, Dec 2, 2015.

?

Vote for the winning story.

Poll closed Jan 9, 2016.
  1. "A psychopath's peace" by Lavranzo

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. "Contest Entry" by Warget

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. "Interstellar Joyride" by Sir Wilfrey

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. "In the Dead of Winter" by The Squid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. "Terra" by petethepug

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. "The Erchius Experiment" by AliasPseudonym

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  7. "The VEP Logs" by Tatterdemalion

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  8. "The Wonderful Planet" by Mister Pixel

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Lavranzo

Lavranzo Pangalactic Porcupine

So guys, just for fun, I have a question I'd ask all of you, since it technicallyis in relation to the contest - and since this thread is source of my daily dosis of fun ;).
    If you were to win the first place, what game would you pick? Both considering the steam game of choice, as well as the game from the prize list.
    If I was as lucky, I'd pick Ori and the Blind Forest for the steam game and probably Secrets of Rætikon or TRI: Of Friendship and Madness from the prize list.

Zebe and Tatterdemalion like this.
  2. Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion Phantasmal Quasar

Funny you say that, because Ori's a probable choice if I were to win. The soundtrack sounds very nice!

Zebe and Lavranzo like this.
  3. Lavranzo

Other possibilities? Looking to expand my gaming horizon :)

Sir Wilfrey likes this.
  4. Mister Pixel

Mister Pixel Big Damn Hero

I guess he could use some random number generator and just pick the winners of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.

Zebe, Lavranzo and Alkanthe like this.
  5. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Like he does to pick the roles in his Penguin Syndicate game, yes.

Zebe likes this.
  6. AliasPseudonym

AliasPseudonym Big Damn Hero

If it's any help I would be willing to forfeit my place. I didn't do it for the money. I did it for the music. Y'all have forgotten 'bout the music. I QUIT THE BAND! Also the competition, unless one of us falls behind of natural causes.

Tatterdemalion and Zebe like this.
  7. Lavranzo

Thou shalt not! There is no turning back now; We're past the point of no return!

8. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

9 votes on 4 works? How's this even possible? I didn't prepare for this - which of course means this was sure to happen. This seems so unlikely I'm already thinking some malicious minds rigged the poll. In any case, nobody has to forfeit anything and no random generators will be used in this fair contest. You will all get a game from the list, that's for sure. The "game of choice" -money will be split evenly between the winners.

About 6 hours of voting left. We'll see if any last minutes votes will change the situation...

Lavranzo and Alkanthe like this.
  9. Lavranzo

This is so damn exciting....! I hope I dont pass out from excitement :p

Day 32: 10 minutes havent passed without checking the forums. Provisions are low: The amount of chips left in the already almost-empty bag is at a critical level. A bottle of coke has gone missing. Morale is sinking; but I will not falter - a new dawn is rising and with its first rays, hope will arrive. When will the chairs stop squeaking?

(10 points for getting the reference of the last line)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    The Squid and Zebe like this.
  10. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

*fanfare*

The poll has closed! Official results are:

1. "A psychopath's peace" by Lavranzo - 10 votes
    2. "The Erchius Experiment" by AliasPseudonym - 9 votes
    2. "The VEP Logs" by Tatterdemalion - 9 votes
    2. "The Wonderful Planet" by Mister Pixel - 9 votes

5. "Interstellar Joyride" by Sir Wilfrey - 3 votes
    6. "Contest Entry" by Warget - 2 votes
    7. "Terra" by petethepug - 1 vote
    8. "In the Dead of Winter" by The Squid - 0 votes

Winners in the places 1-2 will receive prizes. I'll update the thread OP with the results and begin the giving the prizes on either Sunday or Monday; whenever I have time.

Huge thanks for all participants! You made this contest! At one point I was doubting would there even three entries, so I count 8 as a great success. Just keep writin'...
    For all readers still hanging around, check out the NSFW! No, not that, I mean the Network of Starbound Fanfiction Writers. Lots of links to lots of things to read, from the contestants of this contest for example. just click the red text, it's a link

The Squid, Lavranzo, Warget and 2 others like this.
  11. Lavranzo

Huge thanks to all co-competitors for incredible stories, thanks to both Zebe and the NSFW for hosting and organising this incredibly cool contest and finally thanks to all the voters, for caring to read those walls of text and just for being plain awesome - even those of you who didnt vote for me ;). Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did!
    See ya all later on the forums (presumably on the literature subforum)!

12. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Congratulations @Lavranzo (and everyone else who entered)! I would've congratulated you earlier but the forums were down.

Lavranzo, Zebe and Alkanthe like this.
  13. AliasPseudonym

AliasPseudonym Big Damn Hero

Great job everyone. This was really fun and I think we should do another writing contest sometime.
    On a semi-related note, are conversations not working for anyone else? There seems to be a server error whenever I try to reply.

Lavranzo and Zebe like this.
  14. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Yeah, PMs seem to be currently broken. Just announcing here that giving the prizes is getting a bit delayed because of that. Giving the "choose-a-game-from-the-list" -prizes won't be available until the convos are fixed, but if you want the other prizes already contact me through Steam.

Alkanthe and Lavranzo like this.
  15. Lavranzo

Should we suppose your Steam name is Zebe as well?

Zebe and Mister Pixel like this.
  16. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

The link is in my signature. You don't have them on? It might be useful to turn them on, even though now the PMs are working perfectly again.

Alkanthe and Lavranzo like this.