Dev Blog 5th January - It belongs in a museum!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Original Post

Happy Tuesday!

Starbound 1.0 draws nearer and nearer! Remember fossils? Pretty soon you should be able to dig ’em up in the nightly. Fossil assets have been in the game for quite awhile, but players haven’t really been able to do anything with them.

[​IMG]

We’re also working on putting survival mode back in the game, which means that *certain features* will be making a return. But more on that later! Here’s a screenshot of the fossil mini-game in action (the UI is a work in progress!).
    [​IMG]

‘Til next time!

<3

2. Timothy1

Timothy1 Void-Bound Voyager

Not sure if this title is a LoL reference or nah...

3. Lance Hancock

Lance Hancock Existential Complex

Awesome can't wait too see the survival stuff. It is one of my favorite upcoming features. Just don't forget to fix the smelting, that needs to be fixed rather than instant smelting.

4. McMagnus

McMagnus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hah, the fossil minigame looks like someone took a cue from Pokemon Zeta/Omicron. Sweet.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Greymir

Greymir Void-Bound Voyager

The fossil feature looks interesting, I'll have to play around with that when it becomes available.
    Also, yay for the return of "certain features".

6. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Pangalactic Porcupine

I seriously hope you meant Indiana Jones reference...

As for the return of "certain features" I look forward to seeing it.

7. Streema

Streema Phantasmal Quasar

I got that reference!
    Also this fossil excavation-system really reminds me of my favourite game spectrobes! I like it! <3

8. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Kind of hope the trilobite and ammonite fossils are placeholder, they look like downscaled jpg files.

That being said, I'm happy that the feature I wanted most is finally getting love.

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Tanat

Tanat Void-Bound Voyager

That quote actually comes from Indiana Jones and was just simply referenced in League. They are just referencing this movie as well.

About this feature - I already found some fossils, so the "Pretty soon you should be able to dig ’em up in the nightly." line confused me a little. But I'm glad more minigames are being implemented and I hope there will be more soon.

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This looks a lot like the fossil minigame from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. I liked that minigame a lot. Is that how it kind of works? I missed the stream when they showed this off so I'm not sure.

11. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey~ :D when you add Survival Mode back in can you tweak teleporting to make it less universal in it? Like so we actually have to use the ship's teleportation pad? In survival mode we shouldn't be able to teleport everywhere in the universe, just from ship to planet o 0o Maybe make the teleport button into an "Emergency Escape" so you can only use it from ground up or at 30% health or something. Ooooo cant wait for survival!

12. deing

deing Void-Bound Voyager

Please please please!! tell me hunger is coming again!!! T^T <3 It got bored of the game since it isnt...My life has no purpose D= haha

Proydoha and KFCdevil84 like this.
  13. pogosama

pogosama Aquatic Astronaut

So, is there any timetable on the 1.0 release? I've played a lot of Starbound in the past, and it's a great game, but the dev time to 1.0 has been so long. It's a little disheartening, though I know you guys are hard at work. I've basically refused to play until 1.0 because I want to play the game when it's completed, ya dig?

I like the new fossil feature though, and the return of survival mode has me a little excited.

Pinocchio likes this.
  14. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

It belongs in a meowseum!

Ralij, Bonabopn, Lavranzo and 4 others like this.
  15. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If your life had no purpose without watching a deadly egg-timer...

Anyway, yes, it's coming back. They have said so for over a year now.

M_Sipher, KFCdevil84 and Axe Garian like this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ooooh nice, I ve been waiting for fossil excavation ever since I saw the stretch goals back when you were all gathering funds!

and I specially like the implementation... puzzles! so long they are not... like incredibly easy to fail or too simple minded! it could be like... the carpenting puzzles in puzzle pirates!

17. Wordsmythe

Wordsmythe Void-Bound Voyager

All crafting and smelting will require time per item.

KFCdevil84 and Axe Garian like this.
  18. Kelthazan

Kelthazan Pangalactic Porcupine

So do mew! :rofl:

19. Someone else who's played Spectrobes! Who would have thought?

They've already been replaced - You should probably assume any wacky downscaled JPEGs you encounter on the Nightly builds are programmer art.

20. BoogieLove

BoogieLove Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, this is so cool! And glad to hear about survival mode... that should make a lot of people a little happier.