1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

NPC's Do Not Understand Stairs Or Personal Space.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by bailesaur, Jan 1, 2016.

1. bailesaur

bailesaur Pangalactic Porcupine

I do not know if it is just my game or if everyone has seen this, but npc's seem just plain stupid now. Every time I walk into a village half of them are stuck endlessly walking in place on stairs, and the others are just following very close behind me. I mean standing on the same block I am close too. The stairs is sort of understandable based on how when I walk to the top of intersecting stairs (like in most village houses.) I have to jump to get up, but the npc's do not jump or even move at all. They just run in place for the rest of their lives, what a sad sad world. R.I.P stair runners R.I.P. Edit: Reset my universe files and npc's aren't being dumb all the time now, only some of the time.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Gav Featherbeak and Apex-prey like this.
  2. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

This is a known issue. Something in the last update messed with stairs or blocks in which you approach from left to right to go upward. Happens at the bottom of a staircase/block or at the top.

Also, NPCs will follow you if you have your weapon out, so switch to your MM. (Bug nets also count as weapons...). SOmetimes a single NPC is curious and will follow to the edge of the village.

3. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I Still laugh that my guards dont sleep in there own beds instant they walk in other NPC Houses and go sleep there :rofl:

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I've had NPCs follow me the whole way across a village, I've had NPCs who live in a house by themselves far away follow me and then get slaughtered by local monsters because they wouldn't stay at their house.

You don't even need a weapon drawn for this, the MM, flash light, bandaids, whatever you have in your hand, it doesn't matter.

Also, I built a colony near my personal laboratory, like, a whole screen away, and my NPCs are constantly wandering around in the laboratory, and then the teleporter between the lab and the house, one NPC will use the teleporter like every 5 seconds and the noise gets annoying after awhile.

EDIT: I'm considering putting an NPC-proof chute on the end of the colony, a shaft that requires a pulse jump to clear, it's that annoying.

5. Sairyu

Sairyu Subatomic Cosmonaut

also Butttom push door help to, they may press it but they dont walk in

6. bailesaur

bailesaur Pangalactic Porcupine

Here is a small update, my universe file was from an older version I had a problem and had to reset it. After the reset npc's seem to do much better now, only a few get caught in stairs now. Also my first colonist went in the teleporter a lot, but when I put in more houses they started doing other things than constant teleporting.

7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I build an entire tower and put my teleport at the very top to prevent npcs from using it... I built that tower with so many possible holes it makes jump puzzles look ridiculous, and geuss what? NPCS found their WAY to the teleporter! I also found out they love dropping like lemmings and plummet into the ground without taking dmg, it doesnt get old

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Just make the tower require a Pulse Jump to get up to a ledge. NPCs can't Pulse Jump. Worked for me, anyways.

Corraidhín likes this.
  9. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

after the lemming incidents... its kinda funny :p and I realized my tower is tall enought I cant hear them using the teleporter if im on th ground

10. Apex-prey

Apex-prey Astral Cartographer

way to make lemmingaid...........eh eh see what i did there

CrazzyJ0123 and Corraidhín like this.
  11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Ahhh hahahaha! :iswydt:

12. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Have your teleporter in a room closed by a door that you have connected to a switch via wiring.
    Or connect all the doors of your villager's rooms to switches/one switch, which is located outside of their room (they love to play around with switches inside their rooms!). ;)

Live can be so easy... sometimes. ;)

Corraidhín likes this.