1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble Spawning "Special" Weapons

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Cally94, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Cally94

Cally94 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Firstly, I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I didn't think this counted as modding because it's vanilla commands and probably not support because it's not actually a problem with the game itself.

So I do a lot of role play and storytelling with Starbound, and for a lot of the stuff I do, I can't really go looking for everything I need. It would just take too long when I'm trying to set up large structures, environments, etc. Well, I'm trying to set up a medieval world with cross bows... This is where I've run into my problem. What is the /spawnitem command for crossbows? Here's what I have tried:

/spawnitem crossbow 1
    /spawnitem commoncrossbow 1
    /spawnitem generatedcrossbow 1
    /spawnitem crossbowspecial 1
    /spawnitem woodencrossbow 1
    /spawnitem guncrossbow 1
    /spawnitem bowgun 1

I have checked all over this forum and on reddit where I did find this a few days ago but I don't see anything for crossbows. You can take a look if you're interested, maybe I missed it: https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/3wnxwo/spawning_items_ingame_with_any_specs_and_looks/

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT*
    Figured it out and was able to spawn a few crossbows successfully. I'll update this post for other people's information if they have the same problem.

So I remembered my alternate character had a crossbow pre-combat patch, so I loaded her up and used the /itemID command on the crossbow. Turns out, the crossbow is now spawnable by using "generatedgun" followed by the quantity and then any JSON parameters. So i.e. if I wanted to spawn a level 10 crossbow, I'd type:

/spawnitem generatedgun 1 '{"level":10}'

The "generatedgun" id actually pulls from the list of weapons that I'm guessing don't have a more specific ID category? Because when I did it multiple times, I also got a couple needlers as well as a gun from a mod I have installed. Much better than nothing though. Hope this helps somebody out there :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Cally94 likes this.
  3. Cally94

Sweet, I thought aMannus' "creative mode" mod was the only mod that did this, which is no longer compatible. This saves a lot of time. Still nice to know the commands in case the mods end up outdated, but thats probably unlikely.

But don't worry, I'm no cheater lol this all only for builds, story art, role play, and maybe some random single player shenanigans lol. I will never cheat multiplayer, takes the fun out of it for others. Unless its an lan party with friends who are also going crazy...

Corraidhín likes this.
  4. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I believe it's not currently possible to spawn randomly generated items that are not the new kinds from the Glad Giraffe update. The reason for this was because the /spawnsword and /spawngun commands were removed, as the new weapons would be spawnable with /spawnitem. The crossbow required /spawngun to spawn in.

Note that I could be totally wrong about this. If I am, please say so.

5. Cally94

If I'm understanding correctly, and I derp hard sometimes lol so correct me too if I'm wrong, but if I'm understanding correctly you're only a little wrong. Everything you said is spot on, and the old commands are gone for good. Which is sad because they were way more convenient. But it is possible still to spawn randomly generated weapons using the /spawnitem command, just new "tags" if you will. For example, now if we want to spawn a random sword, the command would be:

/spawnitem commonsword 1 (or "uncommonsword" or "raresword")

An example of spawning a rare assault rifle would be:

/Spawnitem rareassaultrifle 1

Or for the crossbow, it is a potential drop from the command:

/Spawnitem generatedgun 1

No where near as convenient (sad face :( ) but still possible.

6. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Those items you mentioned work because they're new items.

You will find their assets in ../items/active. They are considered "active items", and respond to /spawnitem.

Meanwhile, with the crossbow, that's in ../items/guns. They are not considered active items and only respond to /spawngun.

I believe it depends on whether an item's file has a .activeitem extension or has a .gun or .sword extension, although I'm not at my computer to check that right now.

Although you did mention that /spawnitem generatedgun 1 can possibly spawn a crossbow, which makes me doubt my current logic. Did you even successfully get a crossbow by using that command, by any chance?

Cally94 likes this.
  7. Cally94

Oh, I misunderstood. My bad, Sorry. Anyways, I never upacked the files, or even really looked at the directory, so now I really want to check out those directories and see what's in there lol good ol' curiosity.

Yup, I got it to work after only a few minutes after the OP, hence the "edit" but I didn't really come right out and say I got it working, so I'll edit that. But yeah, the only possibilities there are from that command are the Crossbow, Needlers, and mod weapons that aren't assigned specific ID's (I'm guessing). But these weapons also have the new balancing system so they're part of the new weapon roster as well. So your logic is sound, makes me wonder if they are just trying to clean up directories or if they just haven't implemented all of the new weapons yet.
    Has anyone found any of these items in a chest yet? I would assume you'd still be able to sense you could in the last stable version, but the entirely new weapon system makes me wonder.