Please de-associate Planetary Biome & Difficulty

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Axe Garian, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

My dream Home World is a Blue, or better yet, Cobalt Blue Size 2,000 Moon. With Colonization in, now add in the requirement of Threat Level of Extreme for maximum Rent from my Tenants. (& to feel like a badass Colonizing & Taming a deadly world.) Sadly currently this is impossible. (Haven't even found a Size 2,000 ANY color Moon...)

It feels like making Volcanic & similar Planets the only ones that can have Extreme Difficulty is pigeonholing people who want maximum Tenant Rent into very few choices of Planet Type, thus taking away choice from us Builders. It occurs to me that the next logical evolutionary step for Starbound is to de-associate Planet Type & Difficulty so all Planet Types can have all forms of possible Difficulty Level, Planet Main Color, & Size Variances, thus increasing variety in the entire Starbound Universe, & giving more choice for us Builders for making Home Worlds, Bases, & such. (I'd even go so far as to say it'd be fun for there to be Extreme Difficulty Lush Planets! Set with a Flag to prevent it from being a 'Starter Planet' of course. Maybe there could be rare Extreme Difficulty Lush Planets somewhere in the Universe overrun with huge extreme numbers of Poptops & Giant Poptops! :nuruevil:)

Many thanks for your time. :)

MozaikuStar, Coricus, foreck and 4 others like this.
  2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I agree that the biome type should be de-coupled from the base difficulty. Obviously there can be other complications like radiation etc, but that shouldn't be tied to how strong the monsters are. There is no reason to not have an extremely deadly forest planet(for example). Maybe that planet is irradiated, and maybe it isn't.

There are a couple mods that accomplish this is different ways. It just feels better. I don't even want to mess with the vanilla systems/planets.

foreck, Lemuria and Axe Garian like this.
  3. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

I miss the times when threat was not biome specific.the entire planet system went very very boring when they changed it.

foreck, Lemuria and Axe Garian like this.
  4. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Fully agreed. The current way it is is boringly linear. It can't still be like this at Full Release or it will stagnate the potential this game can have, especially for us Builders & Colonizers.

foreck and Lemuria like this.
  5. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The only issue would be how it would interact with Nanoskin techs, but, if you can, say, go to an Extreme planet with Tier 1 gear, survive there, and obtain some loot and ore there, then you deserve to make such a huge tier jump, beacuse doing that would be very difficult.

6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Not really.

I use Frackin'Universe and most Eden worlds (something that mod adds) are either Extreme, or Insane (so that you get better tenants).

I went to an Extreme Eden (basically, Lush except it can have healing water and better ores and fewer mob spawns), with Steel Armor and a Steel Weapon.

I ran into monsters, and they hit me for 36 damage a hit. It takes 3 hits to die, and I could hit mobs for about 25-30 damage, and it took 4-5 hits, BUT I could also pop bandaids every time I got hit, and simply jump over the mobs (I only found mobs with Charge and Body Slam).

I wound up finding an axe with 42 damage on it and 1.10 swing speed, and an assault rifle that does 19 damage per bullet, or 90 with explosive burst.

Needless to say, these are a HUGE power jump.

I made a colony on this world, and attracted an Avian Merchant who sold me Avian Violium Legs for 350 pixels, and a travelling merchant came shortly after that had the Body and Helmet to that set.

In like 3 hours of play, I had Violium Armor, and Violium-Quality weapons..... while just getting done with Steel in the normal progression.

And it wasn't dangerous or hard by any means.

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That is fixed by nerfing bandages (Which are OP anyways) and making merchant offers tied to progression.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

How do you make merchant offers "tied to progression"?

AFAIK, the game has no way of knowing where in the "progression" you are, unless you start scanning for what sorts of material the character knows how to make, and that sounds like needless complexity for the sake of complexity to me.

And nerfing bandages... the only way to reliably heal? lol?

Your cures sound worse than the disease, I'd have to say.

EDIT: In fact, if anything, I'd rather we apply system-wide debuffs that are mitigated by nanosuits. For example, a Radioactive Star has ALL planets in that system being radioactive, regardless of world type (with the obvious exception of fuel moons). If you find a Lush world in a Radioactive Star, it too is radioactive. If you find a Lush world in a Fiery Star, you will need the Heat Nanosuit to survive there.

That is a way better solution.

EDIT 2: In fact, you could have the Star Type influence planets' colors and trees. Lush worlds in Frozen Stars would have more snowfall and blue/blue-green colored dirt, for example.

Axe Garian and STCW262 like this.
  9. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The ore merchant in the Outpost already does that.
    But they shouldn't heal fast enough to make it possible to tank anything that doesn't deal an insane amount of damage. Simply making them heal at half the current pace would work.

Well, that also works and would likely involve less work for the same result.

10. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Hmmm. I suppose there is that. Not sure what calculation exactly the Ore Merchant uses to determine what ore(s) he sells, though.

It is true that Nanowraps feel a bit powerful, but yet at the same time, we can't just do without healing or nerf it too hard, then we get into this problem where scratch damage becomes fatal over time because there's no good healing options. And don't get me started on NPCs with guns. They would be impossible without bandaid spam.

Making them half the current rate I don't think is the answer. If anything, perhaps a 10 second cooldown or something that keeps the bandaids effective, but limits spamming them a bit so that you need to avoid damage for the next 10 seconds before you can heal again.

That was the idea, yes. Usually when making a game, if you've got a problem, the best way to go about solving it, is to change as few things as possible, every time you try to change something, you run the risk of adding more problems. So, changing fewer things is usually the best, unless you're going for a complete overhaul of a system, and that takes a lot of work, design, testing, thought, etc.

Axe Garian likes this.
  11. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Perhaps by making the Merchant Offers available depend on how many Main Story Quests have been completed perhaps. I assume that's how the Ore Merchant Inventory does its thing.

Plus now that ya'all mention it, it can be kinda screwy to find stuff like Icy Planets orbiting Fiery Stars & such, especially if in a very close orbit... then again last I knew ya could harvest a bunch of Ice Blocks, take them down to a Planet Core's Core Lava, & build a House with those Ice Blocks right above that Core Lava, so meh. :p

Stuff like Extreme Difficulty Moons would still rock though, there's ways they can be gone about. For example, Extreme Difficulty Moons could be home to Erchius Horrors or related stuff like that.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It'd be nice if extreme difficulty moons would have more plutonium than just 1-2 pieces here-and-there.... and it wouldn't have to be JUST extreme difficulty, we could have moderate through dangerous too, depending on the star type.

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That could be easily explained away by the planet's atmosphere being so dense it prevents the ice from melting and the water from boiling. Which isn't as weird when there is a known planet IRL in which that happens.
    Erchious Horrors couldn't be put in airless planets because they can't be damaged by normal weaponry.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

He meant the humanoids that spit blood at you, not the huge crystal boss.

In fact, they could have non-mission Lunar Bases on any moon that isn't harmless. Perhaps 25% of the time, one will spawn there, and there's more than usual plutonium and erchius fuel in them, BUT, there's also hostile NPCs, including erchius monsters and crazy humans.

Axe Garian and STCW262 like this.
  15. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes what the old SB had "too much" (mobs on asteroid fields lol) the new one has too less. I miss the steps inbetween that added the variety to the game, they change too much into the other way at once.

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. Christopher Schutte

Christopher Schutte Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What/Where are eden worlds? I just updated to the lastest version, I can't seem to find anything of the sort.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It's something that is in Frackin'Universe. They are somewhat rare, but they are basically a Lush world with Moderate to Extreme difficulty and fewer mob spawns.

Axe Garian likes this.
  18. Xazo-Tak

Xazo-Tak Void-Bound Voyager

I definitely think nanoskin tech forcing linear progression is pretty lame.
    It'd be cool if O2 and radiation issues worked by having actual sources of radiation, and having a distinction between air and vacuum.
    That way, a player could engineer their way around problems to do with O2 and radiation.
    Armour customisation or procedural generation that replaces nanoskins and current armour would be pretty neat too, so if the player wants extreme temperature protection they'll need a huge clunky exoskeleton with thick armour, and if they want protection from vacuums then how bulky their gear is will depend on how hard they want it to be to tear their suit open.

Axe Garian likes this.