OOC Chaos in the Stars

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Vurrunna, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Vurrunna

Vurrunna Giant Laser Beams

Chaos in the Stars

Note: The lore has been modified a bit to better create a feel of chaos.

Introduction
    The galaxy is in chaos: Earth has been destroyed, the USCM working hard to create a human empire; the Miniknog rules over its people with violent cruelty, with the last vestiges of rebellion in dire straits; a mass of Floran hordes spreads farther and farther with every cycle; countless worlds are held jealously by the xenophobic Glitch, and many colonization attempts end with a robotic onslaught; sacrifice after bloody sacrifice is offered to Kluex by the Avians in a violent crusade to prove their piety; the Hylotl try to rebuild and take what vengeance they can against the Florans that ruined them and the powers that ignored them; and among it all, the Novakid wander, flying caravans where they're not needed and spreading crime where they're not wanted.

The Current Chapter
    The galaxy has, as seen above, gone to crap. An age of exploration and discovery has formed an age of empire and destruction.

However, these nations must still expand, and often enough they all the want the same territories; good worlds are rare in this age, with all of the old ones being taken or destroyed. While a frozen tundra or volcanic waste is good enough, the costs rarely outweigh the benefits (and when beneficial worlds are found, they are always ravaged and spent within months of discovery in the name of progress).

Recently, a new system has been discovered: a system overflowing with life and surrounded by a dangerous field of space-death--perfect for defending against massive invasions, as only a few ships can enter at a time. Every race has put their foot in the system, with seven of the eight worlds each primarily holding one race. However, their present contentment with what they have will not last, and soon they shall all venture forth to conquer the others.

Indeed, already a war wages on the eighth war, named simply Death. On this world, the lush forests, beautiful dunes, high peaks, and pristine waters are all ironic facades to the violence that spreads between the cities and colonies.

Guess where you live?

Your Place in All This

You live on Death, a world with a name better fitting to what's gonna happen to you than what you're gonna see. The planet holds a glorious beauty, one which none of the races wishes to destroy (if they don't want it for themselves, they want to dedicate it to a higher power).

Despite the overall drive of most nations to conquer Death for one race (even the Novakid, who either just want everyone to stop fighting so they can move onto other things, or are right in the mix stirring things up for their own gain), there are still some colonies that wish to see the races work together; in fact, many of the race-aligned colonies are willing to make temporary deals with those that don't directly oppose them yet.

Your characters live on Death, as colonists, traders, mercenaries, or what-have-you. Most individuals follow the culture they were raised in, whether that be the stereotypical one or one less known of--while some individuals do break all social norm from time to time, it is on very rare occasion, as there are still species-related impulses and deep-rooted ideas among the race that will always have some bearing on the character.

Despite this, the characters should at least be comfortable dealing with other races, as a party comprised entirely of one race is hard on the creative juices and requires either a) serious collaboration or b) sheer luck. Just as in Starbound, there are still those that oppose their over-arching government and wish to deal with other races; the only thing is that they still hold onto the society of their race. While a Floran can be peaceful, a Floran is not likely to be a civilized scientist; more likely the Floran chooses to hunt animals over people.

To begin, all characters will be on their way to the town of Redstar, known as a Novakid trading hub. Novakid are, fortunately, not the best known for organized violence (with the exception of a bandit gang here and there), and are much more accepting of of other races.

Rules
    My plan is to use some elements of actual RPGs, though the amount is up for debate; I plan to at least have a list of basic skills a character has learned, just to help decide what they're better experienced with. Beyond that, there's mostly just the basics:

1. No 'Godmodding.' Basically, nobody's perfect; nobody succeeds every time, and nobody avoids all possible danger. You're going to fail every now and then, but really, what's the point if you didn't? Constant success has no danger to it, which kills the purpose of conflict (conflict being the driving point of any story).

2. No Meta-Play. You know more than your character; you probably know some of the more fine details of races and events that a character has no reason to understand. Furthermore, you might read about another character doing something that your character can't know about; for example, if Bill steals your money and you don't notice, you can't immediately decide to count your pixels and demand that Bill tell you if he took it or not. Your character has no reason to do so. If you're curious about when you'd probably find out, and how you should act, you can just ask the rest of us here in the OOC.

3. We're All in this Together. No matter what happens in-character, we're all here for the same purpose--to make a fun story that we all enjoy. I generally try to avoid inter-character conflict as it often leads to inter-player conflict; however, if you find that inter-character conflict is bound to happen at any point, you can check here in the OOC to see if everyone else is fine with it.

4. Other Stuff: Try to keep the language clean--if a character feels the need to swear, try making up something more appropriate to their race (an Avian might say "You son-of-a-rabbit!" or "What the feathers?!"). Please don't over-describe violence--a simple "I aim at his head and fire" followed by "Your aim is true and get him in the face" or "He jumps aside and your bullet gets his shoulder" will suffice (please avoid over-violent characters that love eating inside-stuffs; I'm looking at you, Floran cannibals!). Keep the grammar in order--while it's fine if you don't have an illustrious vocabulary, broken grammar is downright distracting.

Lastly, if, at any point in the game, I disappear off the face of the Earth, please pester the crap outta me.

If you have any questions or think I should mention something I'm taking for granted, let me know.

Your Character
    Here is a basic settup for a character sheet (discluding stats):

NAME: Full birth name and any nicknames involved.
    RACE: What kinda thing are ya? Try to stick to vanilla races unless you feel a dire need to play something else.
    PROFESSION: What, in general terms, do you do for a living? How do you get by and make ends meet?
    SIZE: The character's general size; you can use specific numbers and units if you like, though "short and stocky" or "tall and wide" can work just as well.
    DESCRIPTION: What does the character look like? I'd be very willing to draw them for you.
    BACKGROUND : A basic background for the character. Keep in mind that this might need to be modified; I want all of the characters to be somehow connected ("You're all in the same bar" is a lame introduction, and, realistically, would create too much tension and distrust between the characters; would you trust some weirdo you met in a seedy booze-room?).
    Additional:
    BELONGINGS: Simple enough. What does your character have on hand at all times? Try to be reasonable; it's unlikely that some wanderer is armed with Ferozium and has a Matter Manipulator at their disposal.
    POSITIVE RELATION: What is a group/organization your character is in positive standing with, and who's a specific individual in that group?
    NEGATIVE RELATION: This is the fun one. Who has your character dissed off, or who has a negative interest in your character? Who or what will antagonize your character? This should probably be a specific character with the organization he/she works for.
    ET CETERA: If you feel like anything else would be important to know about your character, feel free to mention it here; personality, accent, fighting style (if they have one, though it's not required), etc.

Skills
    Your character is more skilled in some things than others; this part is about making a list of those things. This will be easier if you have traditional RPG experience; if not, I can help you with anything that gives you an issue. While it might look a bit daunting, the process is very straightforward and helpful in the long-run.

Put simply, your character probably has most of his/her experience in a few fields, with a little experience in various other fields. The table below helps visualize this a bit; on those lines, you basically fill in what your character is good at. A solid list of skills can be found here http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/default-skill-list (rapport is basically talking to people and chumming it up), though if you feel the need to make up your own skill for something not included, feel free to ask about it; unless I think it fits under something else in the list, I'll probably be fine with it.

Very Trained:

Trained:
    __________ __________

Sorta Trained:
    __________ __________ __________

Minor Experience:
    __________ __________ __________ __________

Again, any questions, ideas, or thoughts, just let me know.

P.S.: This took almost two hours to write, so I apologize if it gets incoherent or leaves off at any point; once again, throw me a question and I should be able to clarify any mistakes I made.

Player Characters

Tatterdemalion: Reynolds Seach Pottinger, Human Doctor with Combat Surgery Experience
    NAME: Reynolds Seach Pottinger

RACE: Human

PROFESSION: Doctor w/ experience in combat surgery

SIZE: 182 cm (6'1) Tall and ropy, although some of that height is from his prostheses.

DESCRIPTION: One ugly son-of-a-gun. Reynolds has a long, gaunt face with tanned skin like beef jerky framed by wild, wavy brown-red hair. He's got numerous scars and burns across his body. Most notably, he's missing both of his legs below the knee, and they've been replaced by springy prostheses. He wears a long brown military-cut coat and has lots of pouches, belts, and straps holding various medical and survival equipment. He always wears a faded, dusty old beret, a memento from his years in the Protectorate.

BACKGROUND : Reynolds grew up on Earth as the oldest son of a very large family. Although he's always displayed a rebellious streak and a tendency to break the rules, he showed quite an aptitude for medicine from an early age. He was accepted into a premier medical university, but his family was unable to afford the steep costs of tuition and he instead attended a much less prestigious college, but one he could afford. Wanting to use his medical skills for the good of humanity, he enlisted as part of the Terrene Protectorate's* relief program, delivering aid to those who need it most in the galaxy. Reynolds saw the worst of it out there. Terrorists, religious zealots, pirates, and conquerors with no sense of mercy. Reynolds grew jaded. He had to, to stay sane as you stitch children back together in the heat of plasmafire. In one of these innumerable missions he lost both of his lower legs in a terrorist bombing. Even then, he didn't give up. He kept going out there, taking missions more out of some stubborn habit than any idealism. That all changed when Earth was lost. The Protectorate fell apart and Reynolds still has no idea if anyone he knows made it out before Earth fell. Without any sort of cause to live for, Reynolds wandered from place to place until he found himself on some far-off planet called Death with nowhere else to go. Suitable name, he supposes.

*I picture the Terrene Protectorate as a UN sort of deal, but I can change it if you so wish.

Additional:

BELONGINGS: Obviously he's always got his prostheses on him, as well as some extra parts in case of repairs. He carries general surgical and medicinal equipment on him such as stitches, gauze, bandages, painkillers, basic antibiotics compatible with most species, anesthetic, et cetera. In addition, Reynolds often carries a flask of whisky to help patients (and himself) get through the ordeal. He also carries a short-range plasma bolt-cutter that can be used for surgical cuts as well as self-defense. His main method of defense, however, is a battered old plasma carbine he traded for a few systems back on his travels. Beyond that, he's got very little to his name.

POSITIVE RELATION: Some ex-Terrene Protectorate vets may still recall the exploits of Reynolds when he was a combat surgeon. He wonders if his old friend First Lieutenant Mina Ascari is still around. She mentioned heading out this way once, in the days after Earth fell.

NEGATIVE RELATION: Reynolds really, really doesn’t like the USCM. He thinks that they’re a bunch of delusional, murderous, fascist psychopaths with meter-long poles up their arses. And he personally told told that to the face of Major-General Garrett C. Taylor of the USCM when he attempted recruiting Reynolds to “the cause.” Turns out, that was probably a bad idea. There’s a bounty on his head, and Reynolds has spied a few mysterious, shifty characters following him for a while now. (I can expand on this if you want. I’m keeping it intentionally vague to fit better into the story.)

ET CETERA: Well, I think that his personality can be pretty much inferred from the history above, but to summarize: He’s wild, rough, jaded, but astoundingly effective at what he does. When fighting, he’s going to use any and all tactics to give him the advantage. There’s no honour in being dead. As for accent, I read him in my own, which is Scottish, but you can just read him in whatever your accent is.

Skills

Your character is more skilled in some things than others; this part is about making a list of those things. This will be easier if you have traditional RPG experience; if not, I can help you with anything that gives you an issue. While it might look a bit daunting, the process is very straightforward and helpful in the long-run.

Very Trained:

Medicine

Trained:

Mechanics, Marksmanship

Sorta Trained:

Notice, Athletics, Stealth

Minor Experience:

Close Combat, Deceive, Will, Provoke

Roland Weiss: Lucca "Look Out!" Owen, Human Owner and Pilot of the Maverick
    NAME: Lucca “Look Out!” Owen

RACE: Female Human

PROFESSION: Owner and Pilot of the Maverick, operating it in the business of couriering.

SIZE: Below Average Height; she'll joke that her spine must've collapsed due to all the high-G manoeuvres she pulls while flying.

DESCRIPTION: Easily visible in a crowd due to her shock of red hair, and the constant manic grin plastered on her face. She is usually seen wearing her pilot suit, coloured red to match her hair, as well as a set of flight goggles.

BACKGROUND : The daughter of a weathy family, Lucca was never one in need of much, however boredom struck her at a very early age. Dreaming of adventure she become a bit of a troublemaker, and once she was old enough to be trusted with the keys, developed a strong passion for flying. The source of her family’s weath was it’s connection to a major ship building a shipping company, of which she inherited a small portion of; which allowed her to purchase her own ship, and found her own company. However, before long due to her antics behind the ‘wheel’ plus a series of what we’ll call… ‘bad breaks’ her company collapsed and her employees deserted her. Left stranded on the world fittingly called ‘Death’, she planned on reclaiming her business, and maybe her dignity.

BELONGINGS: Besides her ship, she carries a pistol for self defence, wears a counter-pressure vacuum suit that protects against acceleration induced black-outs and the occational unplanned EVA. When she’s expecting trouble, she brings a shotgun normally kept under the ‘dashboard’ of her ship.

POSITIVE RELATION: Although her crew may not apreciate her flying skills, her clients do apreciate her efficiancy. She also has several contacts within the world of shipping.

NEGATIVE RELATION: Her ‘bad breaks’ left her with several enemies, misplacing a perticular piece of precious cargo resulted in a nasty lawsuit, the ship being one of the assets supposed to be seized to pay off the settlement in question; but unwilling to surrender her ship, she ran off with it. No doubt they’ll want it back.

Etc.:

Personality: in short, Andrenaline Junkie.

Fighting style: behind the controls of her ship would be described as ‘Bushwhacker’ with a mix of 'Steamroller' once she thinks she has the upper hand. Click here for details.

Theme Song: Run Rabbit Junk

Very Trained:

Piloting

Trained:

Drive, Mechanics

Sorta Trained:

Marksmanship, Athletics, Notice

Minor Experience:

Rapport, Contacts, Will, Investigate

zeskorion: Vise "Bigs" Runner, Glitch Hired Muscle
    Name: Vise "Bigs" Runner
    Race: industrially modified glitch
    PROFESSION: Bar bouncer/Hired muscle
    SIZE: Very big (around ten feet tall), with thick arms and thicker legs.
    DESCRIPTION: A giant glitch, with black and yellow hazard markings all over. His giant arms end in vise like claws, with smaller mechanical hands that can extend from the center, when not using the claws for heavy lifting
    He has a large chest, with a compartment for various pieces of equipment, and his abdomen is slightly smaller. His legs are huge, on an axis on the side of his hips, rather than potruding below. His feet look like giant pads, designed for standing his ground rather than speed. He has a very intimidating presence overall, like a walking talking steamroller on its period.
    He also has several bullet-dents, and laser scorch marks, as well as an exposed molten gash on his shoulder, made by some sort of plasma lance

BACKGROUND : A glitch outcast, captured by apex almost as soon as he fled. His captors were led by a fearsome masked figure, called "the Doctor"
    He was modified, for construction purposes, and put to work on the apex planet in this system, as a construction bot. Nobody knows what happened the day he snapped- except for three things
    He razed the facility he was working in
    He hijacked a ship he couldnt fly
    The Doctor escaped as the sole survivor

He made his living after that as a bouncer in the bar, he had crashed by the novakid settlement, and sold the salvage. He is working here now, but in his heart, he knows the apex will be back for him soon
    Additional:
    BELONGINGS: A blowtorch and a large circular saw, specifically made to fit in his hands, an old bloodstained apex keycard, with a bullethole through the picture of the previous unfortunate owner, tied around his neck as a good-luck charm, and 731 pixels he has earned
    POSITIVE RELATION: Novakid settlers, the only folks who took him in
    NEGATIVE RELATION: Glitch hive mind, Apex colonists, specifically the Doctor
    ET CETERA: he cannot weild ranged weapons not specifically built for him well due to the vise-claws around his hands, and has no need for melee weapons, prefering his imposing bulk, industrial armor, and giant claws to simply crush his enemy and shrug off most conventional weapons fire. He is very quiet, only talking when necessary. He never talks about his time in service of the apex, but he has a prejudice against them. He is very patient, but if he is angered... Well, as i said before, steamroller on its period

Skills
    Very Trained:
    Physique

Trained
    Fight, intimidation

Sorta Trained:
    Will, intimidation, demolition

TΔktik: Pheonix-3, Glitch Vigilante
    NAME: Originally Zyphir-Lik, Currently 'Phoenix-3'(Or, simply 3 for short.)
    RACE: Glitch(Male Construct, Heavily altered)
    PROFESSION: Vigilante. Most of his money is 'Confiscated' from those he has killed and captured.
    SIZE: Fairly tall, average build.
    DESCRIPTION: His structure is close to that of most Glitch, although he has four eyes(Dark-green lights) rather than two. His external plating also varies from a normal Glitch body- It is similar to their armor, but looks much sleeker and more high-tech. The 'armor' is durasteel and dark grey in color, with several scratches and dents. A red number 3 is painted onto his chestplate.
    BACKGROUND :Well, he has had a rather interesting run... Being in existence for a few centuries and essentially dying(Hence his name, Phoenix). He was constructed under the name 'Zyphir-Lik' on an unstable Glitch hive-mind world. At this stage, he still lacked his free will. During this time, he fought through numerous battles in the name of his lord. Unfortunately, you cannot win every battle- Proven on a particularly... Fatal... Day, the day his hometown fell under siege- His people called them 'barbarians', 'savages', but in reality, they were a well-organized(And vengeful) Glitch force. The attackers had set up several ballista-style weapons- A javelin was sent through poor Zyphir's chest, shutting him down indefinitely in effect. His computer-brain remained intact, however...

Around 350(Human) years after this event, an archaeological expedition landed on the now-barren planet. The archaeologists took various artifacts aboard their ship- Remains of Glitch, along with their weapons and structures. Zyphir was among these 'artifacts'. The ship's crew, out of curiosity, had removed the javelin and tried to patch up the damage to his body the best they could(Not very well- They weren't technicians, after all.) His consciousness was restored, but his limbs remained completely immobilized. He was now freed from the hive-mind- But he was limited by the crew. (Who were bombarded with a colorful variety of Glitch insults, often comparing them to livestock.) Unknown to him, however, he was about to be put into an even less ideal situation- A nearby mercenary vessel was aware of the ship's contents, and it had its weapons primed.

The unarmed research ship didn't stand a chance- The merc vessel tore it apart, sending the entire crew, along with its payload of salvaged Glitch, into space. The mercenaries saw potential in the Glitch, taking them aboard- The archaeologists, however, were left dead. The mercenary crew had been able to emulate a Glitch hive-mind signal. The Glitch, including Zyphir, had been completely scrapped save their processing units, with new and improved bodies being built for them, modeled after their original forms. They were also given enhanced versions of the primitive weapons they were used to(They gave Zyphir a crossbow-style weapon). The Glitch, once again under the hive's control, were deployed by the mercenaries(These Glitch, essentially brought back from the dead, were named 'Project Phoenix' as a whole. Zyphir's new name was Phoenix-3). This mercenary operation was eventually shut down by a USCM unit(But not before almost all of the other Phoenix-Glitch had been destroyed in combat)- The hive-mind emulator was destroyed. The USCM captain, Alek Griffin, displayed morality- A rare event for a Human officer- And, deciding that the remaining Phoenix Glitch had been through enough, decided to spare them. 3 was freed once again, instilled with a new hatred of criminals, specifically mercenaries.

Phoenix-3 was placed on the nearby planet of 'Death'. He has fought a personal war against the mercenary and gang activity on the planet, with not much regard for collateral damage he may be causing.

He is currently on 'leave' from said personal war, at a neutral novakid-owned town. He met up with a few colorful people at this town- They seem interesting and fairly trustworthy, maybe he could make friends out of them.

Additional:
    BELONGINGS: A titanium crossbow-type weapon. It is able to fabricate steel bolts from pixels, given enough time. It works effectively at mid-range.
    POSITIVE RELATION: What is a group/organization your character is in positive standing with, and who's a specific individual in that group?
    The USCM- Closer to a non-violence pact than an alliance. Capt. Alek Griffin is the USCM captain who spared 3 and placed him on this planet.
    NEGATIVE RELATION: Local authorities- Not too much tension between them, but he is a vigilante, after all...
    Mercenaries- 3 has antagonized numerous gangs and mercenary groups on this planet. The mercenary group that had previously captured him would most likely not expect him to still be alive, but if they did locate him, the would certainly attempt to kill him or take him back into their ownership. This group specializes in machinery.
    ET CETERA: If you feel like anything else would be important to know about your character, feel free to mention it here; personality, accent, fighting style (if they have one, though it's not required), etc.
    He's something of a morally ambiguous character- He will not hesitate to kill. He seems cold at first, but if you befriend him, you may see an underlying sense of loyalty and honor.
    He's not much of a talker, he generally lets his actions speak for him.

He prefers to keep his enemies at a distance(He's rather inexperienced in close combat.)
    Very trained- Shoot
    Trained- Notice, Investigate
    Sorta Trained- Physique, Athletics, Will
    Minor Experience- Fight

Rgbunpro: Tetra Elizabeth Quasar, Novakid Behavioral Scientist
    NAME: Tetra Elizabeth Quasar
    RACE: Novakid
    PROFESSION: Behavioral Scientist, answers communicators for a living
    SIZE: Not particularly tall or short, just kinda average.
    DESCRIPTION:
    [​IMG]

BACKGROUND : She grew up being very curious about why people do what they do. After she began to study these things, other Novakid started to shun her as they turned to banditry and smuggling. However, there was one particular bandit who took a liking to her, and by that I mean decided he fancied her despite the fact that she continually denied his advances. Even so, he has sworn to protect her with his life, poor sap.

The only other exception to this rule was her brother who had also taken an interest in the collection of knowledge, but rather than study a specific aspect, he wanted to know all he could and so set off to explore and study the universe. At one point, a group of apex scientists arrived on her planet, hoping to form some alliance with a few of the local bandit gangs, she approached them and asked many questions wanting to know more about their behavior for her research, the scientists were impressed by this.

There was also one time where she was brought along to a floran planet when they had to fix the communications relay there, She spent a good deal of time asking some very…personal questions to the chief(she believed florans were much more open about that sort of thing, turns out they aren’t as open as she thought.) This angered the chief and she only made it out alive because her associates managed to calm the florans down. After a disagreement with her boss at the call center, she was sent (More like exiled really) to Death to get her out of their hair. She Is currently headed to Redstar looking for work.

Additional:
    BELONGINGS: Has a holobook where she keeps her notes on behavior and her books to study up on them. Carries a basic six-shooter for self-defense, along with a few basic medical supplies.

POSITIVE RELATION: There was a particular group of Apex scientists that visited her homeworld once. They were quite impressed with her science skills, especially given the fact that Novakid aren’t known for their concentration or focus. There’s also a particular group of bandits known as the Blue Suns whose leader fancies her, though she doesn’t like him much. She has a brother who she gets along with, he left some time ago however and is out wandering the galaxy somewhere. An old Glitch named Rustbucket that their family took in when she was little, she treats him like an uncle.

NEGATIVE RELATION: Most Novakid know about her and don’t like her because she’s into peace and not robbing people, they’d rather make a profit than listen to her. She angered a tribe of Florans called the Darkthorns when she asked too many prodding questions to their leader. Her old boss, a hylotl named Sanjoe, got into a fight with her, which was the catalyst event that ended in her being sent to Death.

ET CETERA: It’s not easy for her to study behavioral patterns, what with being constantly distracted. It can take her much more time to get something done that is basic to most scientists, however she has a laser-like focus on things she really wants to study. She is smart and shy and a little girlish, but she doesn’t like clingy people. She wants to eventually stop the war and hope that people can get along with each other, which is going to be a lot of work.

Skills
    Very Trained:
    Rapport

Trained:
    Lore (behavioral science), Will

Sorta Trained:
    Shoot, Fight, Investigate

Minor Experience:
    Athletics, Burglary, Crafts, Physique

Miss Alkane: Barnelby "Barnes" Wildfire, Apex Mechanic
    NAME: Barnelby "Barnes" Wildfire
    RACE: Apex
    PROFESSION: Mechanic
    SIZE: Tall and spare
    DESCRIPTION:
    [​IMG]
    An abundance of dark brown, practically black hair. His short beard is somewhat shaggy, but obviously trimmed. His simian features are a dark brown, and a smile is nearly always on his face. He wears a red and tan jacket that's both too wide and too short for him, gray pants of similar style, large black boots, and a utility belt in which he carries useful items.
    BACKGROUND :
    Barnelby's parents remembered the world outside. It was they who escaped the iron fist of the Miniknog with a very young Barnelby, not wanting him to grow up in the strict regime. He was raised among other races, mostly. Sylvia was one of the few other Apex he knew, and she was only a few years younger than him. However, his parents had settled down in one place, and this eventually led to their recapture by the Miniknog, along with his sister Sylvia. Barnelby, however, escaped. Now practically alone and scared, he hopped the first ship out of the place he could find. He rarely stayed on one ship for very long, but was able to learn the basics of ship mechanics during that time. Things changed, however, when he was hiding from a Miniknog ship and recognized Sylvia's voice. Though he hasn't been able to get up the courage to approach her (and that's probably a good thing) he's been trying to secretly follow her, leave her notes, stuff like that ever since. After a very close scrape, he ended up panicking and making a desperate run away from her, ending up headed toward a planet named Death.
    BELONGINGS: A few basic mechanical tools, probably a few pixels too, and a basic Galactic communicator. Oh and a picture or two of Sylvia, maybe, to remind him of what he's searching for.
    POSITIVE RELATION: One of the first ships Barnelby worked on had a good crew, for the most part. There was one Hylotl shipwright they picked up who just couldn't seem to get along with anyone, except for Barnelby. His name was Natron Clashimoto. Barnelby ended up sticking with that crew for a while, and left with Natron, whom he stayed with until finding Sylvia again. Then they had to part ways.
    NEGATIVE RELATION:
    [​IMG]
    Captain(?) Sylvia Wildfire, a Miniknog agent and his sister. Barnelby used to be very close to her, until she was captured by the Miniknog. Now he's doing his best to convince her to return, but she doesn't want to. Still, even though she's sent out a warning that he's a dangerous rebel, he doesn't give up hope that she'll one day come back to herself.
    ET CETERA:
    - Short attention span
    - Good at noticing clues. The trick is getting him to remember the important ones.
    - Wants to find a place to belong, sure, but mainly wants to get Sylvia back.
    - Is polite and courteous to most everyone, but tends to hide from people he doesn't like
    - Believes things are gonna turn out right if he keeps trying, wants others to be happy, is something of a pushover
    - Not always clear if he's being romantic or just friendly
    - Tends to use tools for things they were not designed for. This is because he doesn't always have tools for a specific situation, and doesn't always want to take the time to go find them.

SKILLS:
    Very Trained: Notice
    Trained: Mechanics, Contacts
    Sorta Trained: Rapport, Stealth, Empathy
    Minor Experience: Lore (basic scientific knowledge), Drive, Shoot, Will

Reynolds
    Physical
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
    Mental
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
    Consequences
    [ Mild ]
    [ Moderate ]
    [ Severe ]

Lucca
    Physical
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
    Mental
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
    Consequences
    [ Mild ]
    [ Moderate ]
    [ Severe ]

Bigs*
    Physical
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ]
    Mental
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]
    Consequences
    [ Mild ]
    [ Mild ]
    [ Moderate ]
    [ Severe ]

Phoenix-3*
    Physical
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]
    Mental
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]
    Consequences
    [ Mild ]
    [ Moderate ]
    [ Severe ]

Tetra*
    Physical
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
    Mental
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]
    Consequences
    [ Mild ]
    [ Moderate ]
    [ Severe ]

Barnelby
    Physical
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
    Mental
    [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
    Consequences
    [ Mild ]
    [ Moderate ]
    [ Severe ]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

This looks interesting, I might be interested if my other involvements aren't too much... wait, I'm in three other RPs? That's probably not gonna work. Anyways, I'm sure gonna keep an eye on this one and see where it goes. Maybe drum up some support for it if needed.

Sir Wilfrey and DustyScabbard like this.
  3. Apathy Applied

Apathy Applied Ketchup Robot

If I get some time I'm put together a character sheet

Sir Wilfrey and Alkanthe like this.
  4. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

I think I'll join this party.

5. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

I'll join I guess

6. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I might actually join, since I seem to keep pushing away from other things.

7. Vurrunna

Looks like there's a decent number of people that want to join; if you could write up your basic character layouts (As under Your Character), we'll be able to get on our way. If anyone is still curious how the skills thing is gonna work, they can wait for me to help out a bit, but I'd really appreciate if whoever's interested in joining wrote up their characters soon so I can put a bit more planning forth (conflict and such).

Though before you do that, I think I might add a couple things to the character write up; mostly to do with specific things I'd like to know about their connection to Death. One moment... EDIT: Aaand got it. I should probably fix those typos, though.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Alkanthe likes this.
  8. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

The idea I've got stewing in my head is a bush-pilot type character partly inspired by Murdock from the A-team and Wash from Firefly. The one question with the skills is that there is a 'drive' skill, but no 'pilot' skill, should I treat them as the same skill, or should I write them as separate skills?

Also, would I be allowed a ship? And if so, how much freedom would I have to design it?

Apathy Applied and Alkanthe like this.
  9. Vurrunna

Hmm... To begin, you won't have access to any form of ship, but you could certainly have a ship somewhere; you might end up using it later, if you people decide to.

You could certainly make a pilot skill, as a spaceship and hover truck probably have vastly different controls. As For the ship itself, you could design something simple (the first tier of the starter ships kind of level), though there should be a reason why he doesn't have it on him/isn't using it right now. As far as aesthetics go, the sky's the limit!

Alkanthe likes this.
  10. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Hmm, well when I say 'Ship' I guess a better term would be 'Space Plane'. A space capable answer to a Hercules or a Mriya; primarily for atmospheric flight. Of course it could be grounded for any number of reasons, maybe engine trouble; though more likely due to the fact that very few people would be willing to crew a craft with a daredevil pilot.

Alkanthe likes this.
  11. Vurrunna

Hmm... That's a tough one. I have some natural inclination against a big ship, buuut I might allow it... Would you be able to describe it a bit more? If you feel like it's important to your character, I have no qualms including it; I just want to make sure it is important, first. If those planes were more design reference, than what would be the size? If they were more size, what would be the design? If they were both size and design, than what's yours specifically look like? Put simply, would you be able to more intensively describe what the ship would look like? If you can do that, I'll most likely allow it (assuming you don't load it with nuclear warheads and armor it in Indestructitonium).

Sorry if that's a lot of questions; I like to have a good image of what's happening, and I'm curious what exactly you're thinking of for this ship.

Alkanthe likes this.
  12. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

≈300 tonnes would be fairly small for a ship (Might be closer to a boat) but large for a space plane. As for importance, if he is a pilot, his 'ride' would be an extension of the character, so I would list it under 'important'. As for the design, it would be built like a cargo plane: winged, streamlined, large engines and a substantial cargo bay. As for weapons, it would be limited to a few defensive cannons, maybe a point defence battery for shooting down missiles. Its only 'heavy hitting' weapon would be something like a forward fixed cannon or some air to air missiles. Its armour would be made of the best materials he could get his hands on, but it would need to be thin to keep the weight down, limiting it's effectiveness; speed being a better form of protection.

In summery, the 'ship' would be a 300≈ (fully loaded) craft primarily meant for atmospheric cargo transport, with a policy for getting the goods to the destination 'Fast and Safe'; with any armaments being primarily defensive. Maybe VTOL capable in case of less then ideal landing zones. As for appearance something like this craft from KSP.

Alkanthe likes this.
  13. Vurrunna

I think that sounds about fine; I'd imagine the guns would be more for deterring enemies than outright destroying them, and that most of the interior would be dedicated to cargo, with only very subliminal amenities for cross-world trips. Does that sound about right? Either way, I'll definitely allow it. The main question I have left is: What's the guy's backstory, and how does the ship relate to it?

Alkanthe likes this.
  14. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

His backstory would boil down to him being the owner and pilot of a courier company. The ship being the vehicle of that company.

15. Apathy Applied

So basically a alternate version of "Planet Express"?

16. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

Haven't watched enough Futurama to say that was an inspiration, might be closer to the Serenity from Firefly.

17. Apathy Applied

I've only heard enough from Firefly to vaguely understand, but I get what you're going at.

18. Apathy Applied

This sounds like it would be fun to draw.

19. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Only for you. :rofl:

Apathy Applied likes this.
  20. Apathy Applied

Hylotl shipwright! No one take that it's mine

Alkanthe likes this.