1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Failed to start game (Missing Executable)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by togekiss, Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. togekiss

togekiss Orbital Explorer

I have the game on steam. I have tried EVERYTHING. I've tried what steam recommended deleting a folder in the C files of steam but that didn't help. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game 3 times. The *The Unstable version works just fine, the normal one doesn't. I've un/re installed steam itself. I've tried verifying the integrity of game cashes the files through properties in steam, however it says that it "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired". When running a game, it will sometimes give you different ways to run it but that doesn't even pop up for me. I've also tried uninstalling programs that might interfere with Steam. That also didn't help nor did restarting and updating my computer 5 times.

*The game was working just fine last night until the new patch/update was put in.

Please help me, I'm all out of options and this is my favorite game so far. :^(

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Best Answer
    Did you go into the game folder like I said? You don't need to go trhough steam to run the game. Steam just starts the launcher, so if you can launch the game directly then the launcher is having issues or missing.

If you are not having the same issue, then start your own thread. Don't hijack someone else's.

3. sergalbutt

sergalbutt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is there any actual error message that comes up? If so, take a screenshot and post it.

4. lazarus78

Which version are you trying to run? Normal or OpenGL? Go check in the files to see if the executable is there or not. If so, try running the game directly from there instead.

5. togekiss

this is it[DOUBLEPOST=1450210187][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I can't even do that, it won't start the game at all

Attached Files:

6. Scaw

Scaw Space Hobo

I have to post 3 times before I can post a link. And it is not the error togekiss has

7. togekiss

What is it and what do you mean?

8. Scaw

Scaw Space Hobo

I have tried all of the different launch modes.[DOUBLEPOST=1450210368][/DOUBLEPOST]This is my error. https://gyazo.com/6cabcdaeb3532ee3264bded7745811ec

9. lazarus78

Best Answer
    Did you go into the game folder like I said? You don't need to go trhough steam to run the game. Steam just starts the launcher, so if you can launch the game directly then the launcher is having issues or missing.

If you are not having the same issue, then start your own thread. Don't hijack someone else's.

10. togekiss

11. Scaw

Scaw Space Hobo

I have tried to launch through steamapps/common/starbound

12. togekiss

Omf Thank you guys

13. Scaw

Scaw Space Hobo

*facepalm*

14. lazarus78

Again, make a new thread. Your issue is different and detracts from the OP's issue.

15. togekiss

@lazarus78 Okat it's running but i dont have any characters?? In either runnable file

16. Scaw

Scaw Space Hobo

Oops I thought I was on my thread........

17. lazarus78

Ar you running the game for the first time since Glad Giraffe? Characters from Pleased Giraffe are inherently not compatible and do not show up, and in general it is a better idea to start over.

18. togekiss

Uh I used to run it through steam. I've only had the game for like 2 days????

19. lazarus78

Its the same game. Steam just starts the launcher and nothing more. If you've uninstalled the game folder like you said in your initial post, then your characters were removed as well.

20. togekiss

OH :c okay! What happens if i get a new computer? How do i keep my character? Is there like a folder file or something?

21. lazarus78

..\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\player

Also the universe folder holds worlds, so if you get a new computer and want to transfer over, copy these folders and put them on your new computer in the same locations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.