1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

So, is this game abandoned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corrupt Ai, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Corrupt Ai

Corrupt Ai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There hasn't been any update news for quite a long time, and Hopoo's blog has been entirely about a new game.
    http://hopooo.tumblr.com/
    Not giving me much hope about these bugs.

• The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

• Corrupt Ai

[​IMG]
      I guess we'll see what's up. I hope a bug fix is coming at least somewhere down the line.

• bkroo

bkroo Yeah, You!

The answer? Probably.

It's never had an 'official' server listing, which it desperately needs to keep its online community active, and something that should have been ingame. Ideally, what's needed is someone hosting a server list, and a way in game to set the IP address of the server list so that anyone can easily point to it (in case the list goes down, etc). There was a wonderfully clever solution at http://riskofrain.cyber-dev.net/ but that's sadly now defunct a week or so ago, and hasn't had any kind of a replacement.

Currently, online multiplayer is essentially dead until players find a way of communicating with one another if a game is open. IRC chatroom might be the best way to do it for the time being, but ideally a server list should be built in-game. I think one of the problems is Risk of Rain wasn't built with multiplayer in mind, so the online side was very, very roughly implemented.

• The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Dunto likes this.
        • Linio

Linio Big Damn Hero

Yup. This game is deader than dead.

• reVelske

reVelske Pangalactic Porcupine

How would you even define "dead"? Still a good game, still perfectly functional for vast majority of the players. Surely you aren't expecting more features to be added to a game like this 2 years down the line? The dev is clearly busy with a different project, when he gets more time we may be able to expect some bug fixes or such, but that's about it.

Gucek001 and Dublicious like this.
            • Corrupt Ai

"Dead" as in no longer receiving updates of any kind, bugfixes or otherwise. No I don't expect more content, however the last couple of patches brought the game from running fine to completely unplayable on my computer with no changes on my end. It's great that the game still runs for everyone else. Whoop-dee-doo. That doesn't solve my problems. I've already gone through all of the troubleshooting steps, and it ended in "wait for a patch". So should I continue waiting? I noticed my question has yet to be acknowledged on the blog. This leads me to believe that this game is done, and they are moving on to the next one.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Just yesterday there was a post on their tumblr, likely already seen by a few, that the game was not meant to be released and added onto repeatedly due to insane popularity and wanting to provide fans with more content; this is a limitation with Game Maker, the engine it was built with and later updated to a newer version of GM, it isn't meant for big games with a ton going on and upgrading causes many bugs because the newer version handles everything differently. The only thing we can do is possibly hope for a final patch, which is unlikely, or wait for the devs to finish up with their new game (which might be relatively soon) and remake RoR. We may be able to assume that it will happen and it will contain much more (likely story-wise) with that last sentence, but that's not a guarantee. Though I'll stay hopeful and buy the game instantly should it happen.

Also, don't mind the caps they used, probably used caps since the question was in caps, not that they were getting angry... Probably.

• Wednesday

Wednesday Void-Bound Voyager

Note that these stretch goals will be added post-release, in a free patch.

• $10,000 (REACHED!) - Arena Mode! Fight against incoming waves of randomized monsters, eventually leading to a slew of bosses. Items will be randomly distributed around the arena. Hitting certain rounds of the arena will also allow you to unlock a variety of content!
                  Yes actually, I do expect the content that was advertised. It's also worth noting that artifacts were the 15k goal and they were introduced before arena, which will never get added because let's be real about this.

$30,480
                  pledged of $7,000 goal

Thirty thousand dollars out of a seven thousand dollar goal. That's more than four times as much as they needed. Are you're going to sit there and apologize for their laziness and unwillingness to fix the slew of bugs still present in the game, and make sure it's as good as it possibly can be? Do you also defend broken age for being literal garbage even though tim shafer got three point three million dollars to make it?

Chris1488 likes this.
                  • Corrupt Ai

I saw that post, since I was checking occasionally for an answer to my question. (Never came, unfortunately, and that response was probably to appease all of the RoR questions, so I doubt I will get an answer.) After this experience, I will not be purchasing another game by them until I am certain it runs after the final patch. I'm not particularly surprised interest has been lost for another project, because who likes bug-fixing right? It's not very fun. Unfortunately, it does still need done, and I'm not paying for a remake to get a working version.

I also assumed the caps was to match the question, not to flame.

• DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

Reading this stuff is depressing, didn't know anything about this game until a few weeks ago. I'm glad I got the game essentially for free. *shrug*

Now I'm not that interested in finishing the sculpture I'm making of the Huntress.

Edit: Although I will say, depending on where the devs operate, they may lose like half their fundraising money to the government if they have to pay taxes on it. Plus having to pay whoever else was involved in the project, plus I'm sure those fundraising sites also wet their beak.

• reVelske

reVelske Pangalactic Porcupine

It has been stated that looping, for all intents and purposes, takes up the role of Arena mode. http://riskofraingame.com/blog-73014/

And the point of this is? What kind of rubbish argument are you trying to make? These cases are not even remotely similar, be it the multitude of money they've made AND the quality of the product delivered, if you want to argue a point, argue, leave the exaggeration outside if you don't mind.

Again, RoR is fully functional and still the amazing game it once was for most of its playerbase. Is it shit that it's bugged for some? Absolutely. Should these bugs be patched? Absofuckinglutely, no questions, but these issues are the kind of stuff you would expect from a single man development team, the support for the game will start to suck as time goes on. We all wish this isn't the case, but this is sadly the reality of the situation.

Stay hopeful, stay optimistic, the bug fixes may still happen.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
                        • [HHM]LiveWire

[HHM]LiveWire Yeah, You!

I am rather disappointed that I can't actually play RoR anymore (process shows up in Task Manager, then disappears without so much as a window to pop up and ctd).
                          I really hope that they will fix it, and it will hook many more gamers into this beautifully simple and well-balanced game.
                          In the meantime, I will enjoy StarBound, and hope that its base also grows, allowing the company to look into other issues.

• tracc

tracc Void-Bound Voyager

Hi ppl,
                            I really enjoyed ROR and the game has always been worth its money (especially because when i bought it you could still do online coop).
                            Now I have not seen any updates in a long time (except an external programmer who did some hofixes iirc) and many think it has been abandoned.

I have no experience in programming coding or copyright whatsoever but it seems that many active forum members which want a fully functioning ROR do. So would it be possible for Hopoo to give out the game code (either open source or to a dedicaded fan) so other ppl that have the neccesary skills can work on it? Is there someone who can/wants to do it? They could even build more content after the bugfixes and release it as a DLC. Just a thought...

Tracc

• TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think it's fair to call this game "dead", because by all means I consider it "complete". It may have some lingering glitches, but so do a lot of professional games by big companies. Risk of Rain is well worth the money and is it a complete game in the state it is in. When you purchase a game, you are not entitled to ANY future updates, despite the fact that patches have become commonplace.
                              See here: http://riskofrain.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Starport592/GameMaker_Source

This game was made with Game Maker, and GM8.1 games were fairly trivial to decompile. As a result, somebody decompiled the game and spread it around the internet. If somebody was really determined to fix/improve ROR, they could use this... However, the code that was released was for version 1.02, and if I'm not mistaken, ROR moved over to Game Maker: Studio around 1.2. This means the latest version can no longer be decompiled (easily). Thus, your only hope would be for Hopoo to release the source... But don't count on that. Few games do that, and it's really more effort than its worth for them. It can also have adverse effects on the game's reception, as other peoples' modifications would certainly not be as well done as Hopoo's official game. It takes more than just raw programming skill to make a cohesive and well-balanced game.

• wall57

wall57 Subatomic Cosmonaut

you can call it dead.

- no updates that bring a overall stability (not about content)
                                - multiplayer site long dead (even if it was unofficial, it was helpful)
                                - forum semi-dead (low activity from users)

but all is not lost, the devs are coming up with a new game and there is a reply in his tumblr that mentions if it's needed (like really, REALLY) RoR needs to be remade so it will be the game everyone wants so bad.
                                RISK OF RAIN IN ITS CURRENT ITERATION WASN’T BUILT FROM THE GROUND-UP TO ADD MORE STUFF IN LATER, BECAUSE I NEVER EXPECTED IT TO BE POPULAR. IF I WAS TO ADD MORE STUFF, I’D HAVE TO REMAKE THE ENTIRE GAME FROM SCRATCH. HOWEVER, I HEAR LOUD AND CLEAR THAT PEOPLE WANT MORE RISK OF RAIN. IF I WAS REMAKING THE GAME FROM SCRATCH, CHANCES ARE I’D DO MORE THAN JUST ADD ONTO THE PREVIOUS GAME