1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED CLeF - Things to do in Starbound [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by MrChow, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrispyBlockland

CrispyBlockland Subatomic Cosmonaut

wow, i did not expect this. when i got back to starbound and starbound modding and saw this, i had tons of fun playing starbound again. sad to see this is no longer supported. i'll probably keep personally modifying this should an update break something, there was a great chunk of the community that enjoyed playing the game with your mod. don't see why you would just let it go...

2. RDG-Starbound

RDG-Starbound Master Chief

While that may be true enough, it doesn't change the feeling I have that we were advertised an apple but sold an orange simply because Farmer John also sells apples. And Farmer Bob, and Farmer George....

3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I still like this mod, that I'll create a new Starbound instance with this one on, just in case I know how the hell will I nerf my Matter Manipulator for "Unreliable Technology" runs. Please come back, SCREW THE HATERS.

4. Exarchai

Exarchai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You shouldn't have let those petty jerks get to you! Your mod is fantastic, nevertheless, and even if they may not appreciate your hard work, the rest of us do.

CrispyBlockland and Hatsya Souji like this.
  5. Laney_family

Laney_family Scruffy Nerf-Herder

never posted here before, figure now is a good a time as any.

My thoughts, you mod for your pleasure, not mine, or anyone else, hatters gonna hate, let them, and you do you. Loved your mod since I found it o so long ago, and will just keep my game instance as it is and not update anything else, enjoying what was.

If you decide to return, I will welcome the change. If not safe path and journey well.

As for those who hate, slander, bash. Point is, if you don't like it, do better, I have read over the post I could find and sadly, I do not see any of your work outdoing his.... think about that before you speak down on what another does. If you cant do better you have no room to speak, if you can, shut up and do it. Either way be supportive not destructive.

6. RDG-Starbound

Good words, I say. In my opinion this is effectively what Mr.Chow did, he didn't like the way CF was doing Starbound, he felt he could do better, and so CLeF was born. I personally think he DID in fact do Starbound better in regards to the things he changed (Giraffe Update's teleport animations being much more likely to trigger epilepsy than what he replaced them with in CLeF, more optimized universe generation at 2-5 minutes instead of 15+ minutes, etc...). And even as many people apparently view his changes as better than the vanilla game as of Giraffe, others have driven him away, out of CF fanboyism or genuine preference of the less sandboxy and more 2D Platformer version of Starbound, I do not know.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That happens in every game. Seriously. All games go through restructuring mid development. Perfectly functioning features get stripped.

He raises some valid confirms, but does so in a carry arrogant manner, which is the primary issue with him. Its not the content of his posts, but the tone.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  8. RDG-Starbound

The only arrogance I've seen regarding the matter, has been coming from the people saying he shouldn't make a mod to undo the changes CF made in Giraffe, that people shouldn't be using such a mod once made, and that it itself is an "insult" to CF. I may be referring to one particular vocal person with this, but it does seem that more than just that person have been saying these things to MrChow and those who use CLeF.

Requiemsvoid and Hatsya Souji like this.
  9. Laney_family

Laney_family Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But in the end, if Mrchow enjoyed what he was doing, who cares what is said, I would hope he mods for his own enjoyment, ours is icing on the cake. And really, should we not all be free to enjoy the game as we please? Those who strive to complain, drive away modders be them talented or not in your eyes, or those who just cannot be satisfied. What right do you have, unless you are positively contributing in some way or have commissioned the work and are paying for it, who cares what you think. Too many games where there is a "community" of modders or contributors that are not rewarded for their work do I see this filthy underbelly made up of what I in my own personal views which I am free to have, the whiners, complainers, those that feel they have a right to the products of others hard work without giving anything at all. And every time it seems to bring down those with true talent. Its sad to see and every time I mourn the loss.

On that note, if he no longer enjoys modding for whatever reason, I fully support his choice to step away, even one further to provide the codebase open, free and accessible by far above and beyond what could ever be asked from him. If given the chance I would pat him on the back and thank him personally.

PS: and with that I will retire my venting and ranting hat and go back to playing the game I enjoy, Enjoy all

RDG-Starbound and Hatsya Souji like this.
  10. TempTemp

TempTemp Star Wrangler

Sad to see this mod come to an end. I have always been upset at how toxic anything Starbound has been. Why is there all this haterd? Sure some people are upset about some things, but it's blown up way beyound where it should be. Then of course there are others who react just as harshly. The whole thing becomes a hateful stew that hurts everyone, even the bystanders. People need to learn how to disagree without hurting each other so much. I guess I was too much of a Star Wars fan when I was younger and view hate in a very poor light regardless of how awful the traget is.

If you are reading this Mr.Chow I just want to say I understand how hard it can be to deal with all the toxic comments. I can barely go on to some forums, even when nothing is trageted at me, due to how toxic they are.

11. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

That reminds me...
    dickwad2_det_1024x1024.jpg

sayter likes this.
  12. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

13. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Just to chime in:

I was never an arrogant dick to him, nor did I insult his mod in any way. Save from saying he was coming across as a dick in the reddit post, I was quite tolerant, patient and understanding and only brought up counter-points to his arguments. Nothing more. None the less, he opted to lash out at me when I disagreed. And then he started putting little quips and insults in his mod updates and review comments about said issues without directly naming me. And then a spiteful, hate-filled private message calling me all manner of things, up to and including insulting my career and capabilities. He, for some reason, took a simple question as an insult to his character and let it grow from there. Not appreciated. This ended with him being reported to the staff after he sent that message.

To react like this? Remove support for one of starbounds largest and most popular mods , delete ALL previous versions so no one could have that compatibility, and then walk away. It's spiteful, plain and simple. He screwed over everyone else that wants to play the game in the way they choose, because I disagreed with him on a few salient points. He also had a habit of insulting others for their opinions, yet refused to deal with it when others did the same to him...and then accused them of being hypocrites.

I have no qualms with the mod, or with him personally. But he needs to tone down the nerd-rage over nothing. This is what caused this entire situation. Not other people.

All that aside, he did some great things with the mod. I may not agree with his points but he put a lot of work into this. Anyone that disagrees with that is wrong. It's just a shame he couldn't have reacted in a more acceptable manner.

14. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If anyone wants the last version with FU support, which is now otherwise inaccessible, call me. I just want to preserve the playability of this awesome mod, so please dont kill me. Also he said we could do whatever we wanted, so...

sayter likes this.
  15. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

well, whatever YOU wanted. He changed attribution specifically to prevent me from doing so since I have a patreon page set up for donations/contributions lol. So even if i wanted to provide compatibility I can't without a compatability patch :)

16. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

No reason you can't link to a post someone else makes having said compatibility that they uploaded. And with the "do anything you like other than sell this" bit added to the mod, should be fine to publicly upload a previous version, so long as credit is given.

The angry reaction Sayter tells of is...disappointing. This is/was an amazing mod, and if nothing else the liquid interactions should have been put into the base game at least a year ago. ((Patchwork water and poison on rainy toxic planets , anyone?)

All in all, it may be best to wait a few days before doing anything dramatic or rehosting stuff, just in case he calms down and returns. A few days won't hurt anyone, and does show respect that the mod and work done in it deserves (even to those that don't respect the modder)

CrispyBlockland likes this.
  17. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

You decided to mock me and sold me out to "person" who's been bashing my work when I was just seeking for help. You decided to mock me at reddit and literally stole feature I was about to implement. Your mod is a collection of other people's hard work which YOU are getting paid for. Now you are bashing me in my own mod's thread and what, even reported my private message to moderators? For telling you the truth? Congratulations. :iswydt:

You, Mackinz, Lazarus78 and alike are the main reason this mod no longer "exists".

P.S. There never was an "older version" in existence, this is how git/subversion is working - you'd always have the latest version (plus, the copies at Nexus were outdated dumps without FU support). However, every commit is actually preserved in GitHub archive (you never heard of it, huh?). The last version with FU can be found by clicking "331 commits", clicking "< >" icon at "Remove critter cages". Eventually you'll get this link at the bottom right: https://github.com/clef-starbound/clef/archive/aa40ab08d55e328b284d414e5ac688f3bf4d0945.zip

The plugin that was removed did not contained anything vital (it just added several liquid interactions and liquid guns, literally nothing else). I've removed it not (only) because of what Sayter did, but in order to get rid of potential incompatibilities with any future versions of FU, since the mod is no longer updated.

Also, shall I remind you whose mod is this? It's not yours, you are in no position to dictate what to include and what to exclude from it. "Mod popularity" or "number of downloads" is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. It's a moot point. Period.

And if you thought after all you've done I'd allow you to use for profit even a fraction of the code I wrote, you indeed are hypocrite. Thanks for revealing your true face to the audience. I was genuine the whole time. :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Exarchai and RDG-Starbound like this.
  18. RDG-Starbound

Only issue I see here, MrChow, is directly naming one of the people I was talking about (Calling CLeF an "insult" and harassing people with no involvement in the mod simply for USING it and ASKING if other mods will support it), and others.....but that's only because I generally avoid callouts for drama reasons, unless it's PSA of someone going around scamming/making life hard for MANY people while exploiting loopholes in a site's ToS or a poor site staff that simply results in being told "We can't do anything about it." when reporting.

Other than that, all I really have to say in regards to this, is at Sayter.
    "Stay classy."

19. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

I want to defend you...I really, really do...but there are several points I feel need to be addressed here about this comment.
    A. Sayter currently has a whopping total of 3 patreons, and at current pace is earning about as much a month as a casual recycler of cans and bottles.
    B. CLeF has integrated FAR more mods from other authors than FU, which I believe has taken... certain items from Pixel Goods, and a few biomes from an abandoned mod from Koala? And I believe both of you have obtained permission, or only used open-use mod resources.
    C. Constructive criticism is NOT bashing. In fact, it actually shows someone cares about what you are doing. "This mod is crap" is bashing. "You suck" is bashing. "You have an angry tone" Is informative. "needs to tone down the nerd rage" is admittedly on the lower end of helpful, but isn't entirely uncalled for for the highly negative actions and words that's surprised us all.

I like both of you, I don't want to "pick sides", and both mods are great and change the entire game, making it playable for more than 2 hours in it's current state. You both have valid points, but the heat here needs to simmer down some.
    Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering, so cut it out before someone goes Sith on us.

And with that, I'm off for the night. Hopefully tomorrow will bring civilized and reasonable debate and thoughts, or at least a peaceful, if dreary, silence.

ImNotBlu, Luthor614 and RDG-Starbound like this.
  20. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

None of those. :) Most of the integrated mods, though, are literally one-liner patches (that's why it looks like there are lots of them). And yes, I do have permissions or took the no longer supported/outdated mods. And believe me, I can tell apart constructive criticism from blatant provocation.

This was only a passionate hobby, which I no longer find healthy. However, as one of the "farewell" gestures, I've just restored the FU plugin and planning to at least occasionally keep the mod working on future Giraffe iterations until someone took over it.

This is my final message at CF forums, it was nice knowing you all.

Edit: Also, Sayter kept boldly lying in this thread. First with "deleted versions", and now with "hidden jabs" in the commit history. Little he knows every commit is kept in the repository regardless if it's a fork or original. Simply putting it, if there indeed would be some "hidden insults", you'd be able to find them. The truth is - you can't.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    HiddenKnowledge and Lindazana like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.