1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Logistics Freight Containers v3.31 (Cheerful Giraffe)

Put stuff inside... cus you know, its a container.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

lazarus78 submitted a new mod:

Logistics Freight Containers - Put stuff inside... cus you know, its a container.

Read more about this mod...

2. Lefl

Lefl Phantasmal Quasar

Looks neat, but storage space could be a bit bigger

3. lazarus78

64 slots?

4. burakbaba

burakbaba Scruffy Nerf-Herder

are you gonna make more stuff in style of the Logistics Frigate like furiture collection?

5. lazarus78

Unlikely. Creating things from scratch stretched my ability, but re purposing things I do quite well. Without a base concept, I will likely fall flat.

6. lazarus78

7. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I couldn't stand the Logistics Freight Containers at 48. I'd strongly recommend setting their container space to 64.

They're BLOODY MASSIVE. Literally twice the length of an Outpost Locker, which is 48 storage. The containers are much nicer, and make for a nicer-looking cargo bay, but when you have to choose between 48 slots and 96 slots in the same space, it's not a hard call.

Honestly, I wish I could set them to 98, but I dunno if the game will take that. I did set mine to 64, and it works just fine, though. They also look freakin' awesome, but 10 Durasteel for what is essentially a gigantic metal box is a bit silly.

8. lazarus78

The containers are smaller than the outpost shipping containers, which have 64 slots, which is why I opted for 48.

Why is 10 durasteel silly?

9. ShadowDragon8685

It's about 2/3rds the size, I'd say. The Logistics container really ought to have 96 capacity, and the Outpost Shipping Container ought to have 144.
    Why? Because the Outpost Locker has 48, and that seems about right to me in terms of size/capacity, one of the few things in Starbound which does. For something which takes up literally twice as much space to have the same storage capacity - especially when the twice-as-large something is literally just a gargantuan metal box, and the other thing is both smaller in total volume and subdivided up, is quite silly to me.

[e] To be quite honest, I wish that instead of slots, inventory in Starbound was divided by volumetric capacity. Then judging the capacity of an object would be a relatively simple affair, simply by comparing it to the height of an avatar to determine its dimensions and extrapolating.

It's a metal box. It doesn't take like, five minutes hammering on it with a matter manipulator to take it down, as one might expect from a heavily-armored box. So I can only conclude, therefore, that it's just a plain metal box.

And, it being just a plain metal box, quite honestly steel ought to be sufficient, or maybe Titanium. But Durasteel is over the top.

10. lazarus78

OK then... I won't be changing anything, however. I think is balanced fine based on the current game scale. You are welcome to change as you please. The inventory size is not a linear scale. I actually think the lockers have too much space.

If you want it to take 5 minutes to break, then I can do that.

96 and 144 slots don't exist in vanilla and i don't feel like making them. And this isn't the place to preach your view of the games mechanic.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  11. ShadowDragon8685

"Balanced."

That word is utterly meaningless in this context. It sounds as if the person saying it is under the apprehension that storage space is somehow at a premium.

It is not. Storage space is trivial to get, as much as you want. It's as simple as finding a nice Harmless world - the one you start the game on will do fine, or you can go a step further and find a big planet without any mobs at all.

Plant tons and tons of trees and farm them for wood. Build a fugly dirt bunker (or, since you have so much wood, a slightly charming rustic long-house,) and fill it from floor to ceiling with cheaply-crafted wooden crates.

The logistics freight container is 5x10 (50 squares) and has (in your original version,) 48 slots. That's a 25:24 packing ratio!
    Meanwhile, small wooden crates are 3x2 (6 squares) and have 16 slots. That's a 3:8 ratio. (Large Wooden Crates are 4x3 and have 24, for a 1:2 ratio, by the way.)

So clearly, there is nothing remotely resembling mechanical advantage in terms of storage slots to space occupied inherent in the Logistics Freight Container. Meanwhile, those self-same small wooden crates only cost 15 wood each, which is about 1-3 per tree, depending on the exact variety you're farming. Oh, and they can be farmed. Meanwhile, the logistics crate requires you to dig up 20 Titanium Ore and 20 Uranium Ore.

So, to recap: three small wooden crates, which you can begin building literally as soon as you beam down to the planet, are equal in storage space to one of your Logistics Freight Containers. Meanwhile, the LSFs require you to dig up Radioactive planets, and uses as much Durasteel as would buy you a Tier-4 chest piece.

In every mechanical sense, floor-to-ceiling small wooden crates are crazily superior to the logistics freight container, in addition to being smaller, allowing them to be fitted into places the Logistics Freight Containers will not go.

The only advantages that LFCs have over small wooden crates are purely aesthetic. Quite simply, the spinal hold of my Logistics Frigate looks infinitely better with four stacked LFCs than it does with twelve small wooden crates. In every sense of the word "balance," the LFCs are either hilariously underpowered, or small wooden crates are hilariously OP.

So, really... I don't think that easing up on the materials cost of the LFCs - say, five bars of Titanium - and making them 64-slot containers is really all that imbalanced. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's still no contest in the small wooden crate's favor, it's just less Cassius Clay beating up on a middle school boxer and more Cassius Clay beating up a high school.

12. lazarus78

As I said, go ahead and change it as you will. I don't give a damn. I feel my version is just fine, so I won't be changing squat. I make mods for me, not for you. I release them because I want to, not to appease you.

I hears your suggestion, and I said no. That is the end of it.

13. omzeryth

omzeryth Tentacle Wrangler

how do I change the slot count of it?

14. omzeryth

omzeryth Tentacle Wrangler

nm I got it

15. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

These are really great looking containers! Ship lockers are a very practical option, but they just aren't as nice to look at.

With regards to the volumetric vs storage ratio, they are totally outclassed by the ship lockers, but everything is now. Would you consider making a tier of these at impervium that have 96 slots? That seems like a decent fit to me. (I mean, I'll do that for my own local copy, but others might appreciate it given the existing feedback).

I believe the license of them requires you to also put them under the same terms as their source:
    https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

16. lazarus78

Yeah, wall mounted storage is overall better, but meh. I feel the storage space of many things in the game to be not fitting for their physical size.

The game doesn't have anything above 64 slots, and I am not very keen on making the interface for it. Sorry.

As for the licensing, I'm not exactly sure where it falls, because I did not use the originals as the base, only as reference. They look quite similar, but that was the point. I am completely for proper crediting and usage, so to be safe, Ill include it. Thanks.

1nfinitezer0 likes this.
  17. lazarus78

lazarus78 updated Logistics Freight Containers with a new update entry:

Kinda new! Sorta Improved!

Read the rest of this update entry...

18. Kokiri Minish

Kokiri Minish Space Penguin Leader

seems cool

19. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Thanks for your work on this mod.

As you say, Vanilla has the interface for no larger than 64.
    Enhanced storage does have the interface built for 72. 80, 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 160, 180, and 300. If you where interested, you might ask them if you could include those assets you needed.

As for me I did this myself to change the slot count to 300, and it functions just fine. Simply having Enhanced Storage(hoarder edition) installed is enough to make this possible. As you seem happy with your own mod as is, it is reasonable to say that people could just install enhanced storage as well and make these minor changes themselves. Your mod is your mod. For those that wish to change it for their own personal use, these are the instructions to do so.

1. Recommended: install notepad++ (google this). This will make all your file editing easier.
    2. Install Logistic Freight Containers and Enhanced Storage into Starbound - I'll assume everyone is capable of that.
    3. Go to your Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\LogisticsFreightContainers\objects\LFC folder
    4. Right click on LFCBlack.object and left click on "edit with Notepad++"

Just change
    "slotCount" : 48,
    to
    "slotCount" : 300,

click on the save icon
    (repeat for the other colors)

A person need not use the 300 slot count. They could choose any value that has an interface built(basically any value I listed above).

I might look into adding the persistent container ability to those LFC containers too, but probably not today. But can probably post instructions once I have.

20. lazarus78

Yeah, people are free to change it as they wish. Im just too lazy to work out making the proper interface, and have other things I wish to work on. I feel 48 slots is fine as is, but again, you are more than welcome to change it for yourself. I have no issues with someone modding a mod to suit personal tastes.