Experiencing lots of lag in multiplayer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlackandBlue, Aug 27, 2015.

1. BlackandBlue

BlackandBlue Intergalactic Tourist

I bought Wanderlust Adventures today on Steam. At first everything was going fine. But then, there started to be lag. I play with my buddy, multiplayer. What I see (I host): all animations stop for about half a second or something, then continue on, over and over again. It looks very choppy. My buddy sees my teleporting around. It doesn't on my screen though. It makes the game almost impossible to play, since you have no idea how to time anything when it just stops mid animation. However, after some time of playing, sometimes it goes away. It can start mid play too though.

My internet connection is stable, there are no problems, it isn't particularly slow either.

It might have to do with the game loading a lot of things (monsters, new textures whatever), but this is kind of annoying, it lasts for a good 5-10 minutes before stopping for maybe about the same amount of time, before starting again.

Is there anything I could do to stop having that kind of lag?

• Leth

Leth Risk of Rain & Wanderlust

• BlackandBlue

Thanks, I'll try it out, sorry, didn't look at the FAQ.

• BlackandBlue

Okay, so I tried everything out that was in the FAQ: have a processor with more than 2.0 Ghz, closed all applications, don't use a gamepad, and have never connected anything other than a mouse to my PC before.

My buddy now started to experience the same exact problem. We experimented a bit if something might help, like changing resolutions and such. I noticed that if I go into windowed mode, it says: "Wanderlust Adventures (XXX errors)", XXX a number. The number is counting up rather quickly (I let the game run for about a minute before I tried to use windowed, and it was around 4500 then). In the main menu, the number stays the same. Might this be related in any way? So far, nothing has helped, and the game is unplayable like this, since the lag doesn't stop.

Edit: It also happens in singleplayer.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
        • Leth

Hmm... If you run an anti-virus program it's possible one of our run-time dlls was quarantined.

Can you post the error?

• BlackandBlue

No dlls or anything was quarandined.

There is no error message or anything alike. It just says in brackets, for example (1324 errors). with the number counting upwards rather quickly.

Here's a screenshot of how the error looks: http://i.imgur.com/Gl8wUAb.png

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
            • Leth

When you open the launcher, you should be able to "View > Error Log". Is there any information in there?

• Wian

Wian Space Hobo

"Buddy" here. Here are error logs from trying to play twice, with 1 error each:

ERROR in
                action number 1
                of Destroy Event
                for object obj_namemenu:

Error in code at line 1:
                if (reload && objGame.last_character_index >= 0) {
                ^
                at position 5: Unknown variable reload

ERROR in
                action number 1
                of Draw Event
                for object obj_mercenary_list:

Error in code at line 78:

tmons = (ds_list_find_value(objGame.companion[objGame.companion_index],tls)).id;
                ^
                at position 83: Unknown variable id

• Leth

Are there any errors before that? Those shouldn't have triggered unless something else broke before hand (a failure to load or initialize the game).

• Wian

Wian Space Hobo

There were errors before that, but it seems the log gets reset every time I restart the game, so I can't post the old errors.

• BlackandBlue

I get the exact same error as the first one in Wian's log when I ran the game just now (only got 1 error walking around for a bit, so I decided to just look at the log then). That's the only thing in the log as well, no other errors before (I mean there were probably errors, but they got erased from the log since I restarted the game).

I'd like to add that since the recent update, the error number stays relatively low. Before it went up to over 10k in less than 5 minutes, now it stays relatively low. However, the lag stays unchanged in severity.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
                      • BlackandBlue

I uninstalled the game and installed again, this is the error log from right after starting the game for the first time, happened almost immediately:

ERROR in
                        action number 1
                        of Destroy Event
                        for object obj_namemenu:

Error in code at line 1:
                        if (reload && objGame.last_character_index >= 0) {
                        ^
                        at position 5: Unknown variable reload

No errors before that or anything, that's the whole log.

• Wian

Wian Space Hobo

I uninstalled, deleted the Wanderlust folder in Steam\SteamApps\common, and reinstalled. Still nearly unplayable lag, with different errors than before (that's the entire error log copypasted):
                          http://pastebin.com/XDfFYFp9

• BlackandBlue

You don't seem to really care about this problem anyways, but just to let you know, one of the two of us managed to get the game refunded through steam (the other one unfortunately tried too long debugging the game even though that is not our job, and couldn't get the refund). Really sad to say that we can't play the game that is a sequel to Wanderlust Rebirth, which we enjoyed a lot. But since we didn't get a response or solution for some weeks, it was the only real option we had left. Fortunately, there's still Indie games out there that actually seem to care about their fanbase, some of which are even for free. Maybe we will check back with Wanderlust in a couple of months, maybe then some things are changed...

• Leth

The paste-bin there says something about "surfaces"; that appears to be a video memory issue. Maybe update or roll back video drivers.

Other than the suggestion I have made, there isn't enough to go on regarding troubleshooting this particular issue. The game works for me and all our testers (we had well over a hundred), so it's extremely difficult to hypothesize why your PC is having these issues.

Also, I disagree with the notion that we don't care about our fans - Wanderlust Adventures was primarily created due to a large number of requests for an 'adventure mode' in Wanderlust: Rebirth. To put it simply, I'd argue that us spending 2.5 years in order to make this game (and how it is almost completely different from Rebirth) demonstrates our deep caring for the fans of our games. :)

Dunto likes this.