1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Automatic Irrigator v2.3

Automated irrigation with resource cost

1. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Spacedino submitted a new mod:

Automatic Irrigator - Automated irrigation with resource cost

Read more about this mod...

2. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Let me know if any of you have any issues.

3. Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Have you considered making irrigation piping (maybe just a "source" item that you can link to it with a wire or something) so that you can have a large internal buffer tank elsewhere that's linked to it that it can pull from?

Overall, it's a fantastic idea. I'll definitely be using it.

Having it be able to pull from an external reservoir when it's empty to refill it would be great, though...like I mentioned above. To help alleviate any potential lag caused from it constantly checking...make it only do this and pull from the linked reservoir if it's completely empty...is what I'd recommend. ^^

Another thing...how big is its radius of effect? Will it only affect the tilled land if it's actually TOUCHING the top of it? I'm asking this latter question because I'm pretty sure that there are some plants that are taller than this thing, so they might prevent the upper dirt connecting.

Also, is there the possibility of maybe having an irrigation piping system that is a background only object (or foreground that you can pass through, like torches) that you can use to connect other things outside of this item's default range? Could have it so that the item will automatically do the irrigating on the foreground objects that the irrigation objects are behind.

I'm thinking more vertically than horizontally here, tbh. It could, of course, expand the horizontal range too, though. ^^

Just a thought~ :D

4. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

cool mod :D

saw a mention in reviews about a way to show waterlevel without having to wait
    heres some code to have the tanks level instantly show how much is in tank whenever player adds/removes water

in your object file, add:
    Code:
     "containerCallback" : "update_waterlevel", 
    then in the lua add:
    Code:
    function update_waterlevel()
      nWater = nAvailableWater()
      frame = math.ceil((nWater/1000)*10)
      entity.setAnimationState("irrigatorState", tostring(frame))
    end

think i got that math right for calculating the anim frame.. you should doublecheck it ;)

5. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

That looks interesting, I'll look into it if I can find the time. I was all over the internet trying to get up-to-date information
    on the scripting functions for starbound, but it seems to be a mess.[DOUBLEPOST=1441525508][/DOUBLEPOST]

Those are some interesting ideas, but I don't know when I'll have the time to make a bigger update, right now I'm just watching for bugs

6. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Spacedino updated Automatic Irrigator with a new update entry:

Changes and fixes

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Hmm, it would be cool for it to be able to take water from a nearby water block. Maybe another object that could be linked with the irrigator? That way, when it rains, the irrigator could be refilled automatically. Or when you're on an ocean planet.

8. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

I like the different ideas of gathering water, but i don't want to make the irrigator too powerful. I'd rather spread the functionallity to different objects or mods entirely, but that takes a lot of time to do :p

9. waywardking

waywardking Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A bug, or rather compatibility issue I've encountered: CLeF allows blocks to stack past 1000. Putting an amount of water into the irrigator that would exceed 1000 causes the server to crash and client to disconnect.

10. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

There might be no easy fix for this, other than compatabillity patches, which i might not have time to do.
    Can you post your Starbound log file (from one of the crashed runs)?

EDIT: After having a quick look over the script i think i can put in a fix for some crashes that could occur for stacksizes > 1000 for the next update.
    But i still want to have a look at a log file, just to be sure what caused the crash.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  11. piekid

piekid Space Spelunker

When I try to place an irrigator, I get sent back to my ship, and no irrigator is placed though the inventory count for it goes down by one.

12. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

@piekid
    do it again, then after being sent to ship, quit game, goto starbound/giraffe_storage folder, find the file named "starbound.log" open it in a text editor, copy and paste contents to pastebin (or here in a spoiler tag)
    this makes it easier for developers to see what happened ^.^

13. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

This has (obviously) not happened during my tests. Please do as @LoPhatKao says and try to replicate the error, then post the contents of the log-file. Also a list of any mods you are using might help.
    (I never had this issue in vanilla so I'm half suspecting a mod conflict, or a rare bug i missed during the initialization process)

Edit:
    Since I'm replying here anyway, let me apologize for the lack of updates. Turns out university work is kind of hard.

I am trying to get some form of piping to work, but I've run into a problem:
    Allowing pipe-networks to create branches and intersections will inevitably also allow for loops in the network to exist, which makes traversing them via code really complex and tricky.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  14. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Spacedino updated Automatic Irrigator with a new update entry:

Pipes!

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. dragon4601

dragon4601 Void-Bound Voyager

Can you feed water through a well?
    If not, I have a big mess to clean up
    2015-12-22_00001.jpg

16. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

17. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

for what vershion is this mod for because i tried to use it but i can't find any of the items.

18. RainbowAvenger

RainbowAvenger Void-Bound Voyager

How do I get the water containers that are shown in the screenshot? Not the irrigation machine but the water source.[DOUBLEPOST=1450842028][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It is for Glad Giraffe

19. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Its for glad giraffe, pick up a titanium ingot to get the recipes.

They are from my other mod, Liquid Tanks:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/liquid-tanks.3185/

20. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

Sorry for my short response, but it is not possible at the moment. I work based on liquid-as-item storage, because far greater quantities of liquid can be stored that way.
    You have given me an idea that might make your design viable though.
    Unfortunately I can't promise anything right now, but keep an eye out just in case I actually get more work on this done.