1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feel like ships remove incentive to build?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garfield67, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I wouldn't mind seeing a combination of the two. Some things are only buildable on ship, and some things only buildable on ground, but generally all can be built anywhere. Things on ship to some degree crew oriented or ship function would be examples of ship only. Might have something similar for ground, but use something different. Wouldn't want everything done that way though, as that might limit what can be done too much, but here and there I think would be fine, as long as it is not the primary crafting tables.

teilnehmer and Ludovic like this.
  2. Warkid

Warkid Master Chief

Well you can build teleporters. I'd rather make a base... build a colony around it and just use my ship for traveling. Have a teleporter at my base and just use my ship for going out and gathering resources and finding new planets tbh.

Kara G likes this.
  3. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

Completely agree.

I like the tiny little hunk of junk I start with, not the behemoth monstrosities of late game.

Kara G likes this.
  4. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Actually I would love that.

I was personally musing about the thought of planet-only constructions like radar maps(allowing you to map the surface of a planet) and other sensors like a life sensors(giving you a showing of what species of monsters you could find on the planet) and the like so players could actually make their own functional "science/observation post" to survey what a planet houses.

Perhaps even something that could tie into the ship upgrade system to give you more reasons to upgrade your ship than just "more space".
    Stuff like ships-only crafting station/assembly mechanism that could craft such huge contraptions on the ship, then "beam them down" through the use of a Ship interface when on the surface(basically a crafting interface accessible from a "teleport-to-ship"-like button similarly usable only from the Surface).

I.e.: stuff that requires a certain level of ship upgrade, but whose uses would be entirely be planet-borne(and would be usable only with your ship in actual orbit, to give you incentive to move your ship around rather than purely using teleporters).

Perhaps stuff like vehicles(or at least certain grade or size of vehicles) could only be later built from planetside facilities(such as a large structure not unlike the drilling rig in the Erchius facility in size if not bigger) because the required assembly lines would be too large for even some upgraded ships to houses?(and then later built vehicles could be stored in an actual "vehicle bay" on the ship to be beamed down to the surface at the player's leasure later whereas surplus vehicles over your storage limit could be simply left on the planet surfaces to be hopped in and out of as you want or for colony guards to make use of).

My apologies for all the sudden flurry of suggestions!

But yes, for the short answer, I would love the ability to have constructions(especially ones with practical uses that could tie into surface-side colonies and constructions) that are planetside only! :D

xan713 and Tamorr like this.
  5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Thanks! I do have a thread with closeups of the big compound.

Ehhhhhhhn it'd need to feel like something that isn't arbitrarily locked out of ships. Something that needs "terrain" as a major element to its purpose that wouldn't make sense in a ship. Like, for a random, ill-thought-out example, that big drilling machine from the Erchius Mine that over time slowly builds up a stock of metal ores in its hopper for you, or a water-pumping station. Something like that.

Oxidis, xan713, Tamorr and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ludovic

I (obviously) support the additions of more surface-specialized structures with specialized and practical use ^v^

7. Harakhti

Harakhti Phantasmal Quasar

We could make use of ship-specific furniture and other furniture at the same time, which would be interesting at the least. I believe there /was/ a set for 60s Star Trek and a busted furniture kit that resembled ship equipment highly.

Or make the ship painfully small.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  8. Soranetame

Soranetame Void-Bound Voyager

Colonies now make planetary buildings useful and fun, adding to the need to build.

Ludovic likes this.
  9. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

The ship is very convenient as a giant floating storage container. I tend to prefer planet-side as well, but it's very tempting and easy just to go the lazy way and use the ship.

Should we force people to use planets? I don't know. The ship is like the matter manipulator. It's like a god-storage in comparison to the god tool.

10. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, one thing i think people may like, is separating ship upgrades from normal progression. This way people who like huge ships can get them, people who prefer small ships can keep them without halting the games progression.

Kirumaru likes this.
  11. Kara G

Kara G Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, I would prefer ships to be just a small tin can that you only use to travel with, not a Mobile Home. I'd like ships to not even be pre-made, honestly the game is supposed to be a sandbox, we should have to build a colony and attract NPC's and build the ship that way, with the planet resources and help from the NPC's.

I loved building my own ship with the customizable ship mod.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/my-custom-ship-hope-you-like-it.80970/#post-2082686

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  12. Ludovic

Personally I don't mind larger ships, but there would perhaps be need of more functions upgrade. Right now we do have access to new techs but there is no reasons why a bigger ships would truly be a requisite for newer tech abilities.

This said things I wouldn't mind seeing later to go with the larger ships:

-A vehicle construction bay: Basically, a special station possibly taking a whole room(no background walls usable there as a result). When you access the command console, you can thus uses it to craft a number of vehicles that will then be automatically uploaded to a vehicle bay.
    In the vehicle bay, you could outfit these vehicles and mechs with custom weapons and armor(if supported by the vehicle) and then when you're in planet you could use a ship interface to call in a vehicle of your choice from your vehicle bay that would then be beamed in for you to hop in, then beamed out when not needed anymore(if the vehicle isn't destroyed while exploring, in which case the player would be ejected from the vehicle or killed and that specific vehicle would be lost).

-Various deployables or abilities such as drop-pods deploying various stuff for pixels such as preassembled "survival cabin" with essentials crafting table or bed and so on, or a very localized tactical orbital strike.

-A dropship bay. Basically a specialized version of a vehicle bay which could build and house only a single specialized vehicle, in this case a dropship. Like a mech from the vehicle bay, it could be outfited with various levels of armor or weapons but it's use might be more specialized, basically being used as an alternative to teleporting.
    When going to the dropship bay, a player could directly deploy to the planet from their dropship which they could fly around the planet and it's space layer, attacking enemies with weaponry or abilitiies. If they want they could land the dropship then exit it to travel on foot.
    While within the dropship they could also have other benefits such as healing comparable to a bed and the like.
    Another possibility would be being able to use it to craft, mine and build, perhaps acting as if it was a turbo matter manipulator, giving a very efficient landscaping tool to the players.

Of course, if destroyed, a new dropship would need to be built and their costs should likely be prohibitive.

Kirumaru likes this.
  13. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Says you, I love using my ship as extra storage and a place for Your Starbound Crew to hang out. Granted, I use Frackin Universe, so I need all that extra storage space for all the extra types of plants, dirt, ores, crafted objects, multiple storage containers, etc. If I ever get back into the Industrialization mod, I'll need the extra storage space for certain.

14. MMbsman777

MMbsman777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think that is definitely an idea worth exploring, Tiy. I think also having objects that only work on spaceships would be great. Then of course objects that work anywhere. I am not entirely sure it would definitively solve the problem of people feeling like they only have time for their ship, but, it could move us in the right direction. Though try not to do that with too many already existing items. So, people don't get too confused about what can and can't be placed on pants vs. ships. Add some new items/features/happenings that can only be placed/used/experienced in one place or the other. I myself don't really see it as a major problem as it seems to me a simple choice of doing it or not and I think people who feel bad for liking their ship might not have realized yet that building just isn't really their jam. Starbound is a game about freedom in some ways, to me, so I wouldn't want to lose too much of that. Thanks for taking the time to be available for us. Have a good weekend!

Ludovic likes this.
  15. Kara G

Kara G Phantasmal Quasar

Well the ship starts out with a locker that's it. With the new navigation system you can set a favorite planet and even use a teleporter, so basically there is zero difference between putting your storage containers on your ship or on the planet. I just think most people playing this type of game would like to build on a planet with good reason.

16. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Given how huge the ships can become and how useless the locker is at holding all the extra stuff, I'd need something the size of an Apex Underground Lab to house all the containers and new crops with Frackin Universe. I uhh, I wish I was exaggerating about needing that much space to house containers full of all the new stuff and the new crops. The new crafting stations alone take up a couple rooms on a Floran's Tier 5 ship.

17. Kara G

Kara G Phantasmal Quasar

I just used the pixel printer to save everything and then print it later hehe expensive but much less hassle, more killing and building and less inventory management for me I find. I used to stash everything all the time!

18. Eegxeta

Eegxeta Void-Bound Voyager

I like to build but I like my stuff to serve a purpose. I do like the ship and being able to make it bigger but it gets too big. I think it should stop at the second upgrade. That way you have some space but you don't have this giant empty warehouse. I always thought that your ship should act as a mobile camp, rather than your main base.

19. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Most of the stuff in Frackin Universe is stuff you harvest and then turn into items that cannot be scanned, it's meant to be that way so you can't just say, create items that add extra stats to you permanently en masse and yes, those exist but in very rare quantities unless you scour every inch of every planet. On the last stable versions, the Koala ones, I got super lucky on my Floran and found a grand total of 5 plants that don't have seeds when harvested and are unprintable but added something like 10 or so hp each time they were consumed, something like that. That was on a character who had been strip-mining planets for a long time.

Here's an idea of the process in Frackin Universe: Mine up 1,000 cobblestones, put them in an Extractor to where it slowly turns those 1,000 cobblestones into something like 50 or so Raw Minerals, so it's a fairly low return, then you use those raw minerals with other compounds gained via extraction to craft an advanced component (non-printable) that is used to craft a late-game piece of equipment. You can give the mod a shot, it does add a lot to the game, especially for builders since it adds biomes that have since been removed and ones with different blocks, in-case you have a specific thing you want a base to look like. Also, a side-note, some biomes require plants/items crafted to even explore, Infernus biomes are an example, as even the heat-shield nanoskin tech does nothing, but the Infernus biome is considered an endgame biome that is superior to Lava/Magma biomes.

I'm personally a fan of the Blood biomes on my Floran because the aesthetic fits his race, and the crystal moon biomes for all those lovely crystals to make an awesome looking base for my Avian or Hytlotl. My favorite biome in Frackin Universe is the Penumbra biome.

http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/frackinuniverse.2920/ Just in case you wanna see for yourself just how much it adds and how having a large space ship makes keeping it all close together is, you'll be doing more than enough travelling between systems that you'll be keeping larges stocks of Liquid Erchius Fuel to get to all the different planets in each system.

edit: On a side-note, it pleases me to know there are other fans of Xenogears out there in Starbound's community.

20. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

The way you put it makes it sounds like a limitation. I'd rather have things that add incentives to using both building and the ship, possibly like xxswatelitexx pointed out:

Limiting certain objects to ship or planet is surely possible (and, for some items, makes perfect sense: monster traps, huge drills, housing, ...), but it limits player choice if applied to things that could work either way (research, manufacture). I'd rather have choices that matter. If I use this room to accommodate my agriculturalist, I'll be able to get medicine from food items, but I can't put any storage in it. But if I put her in a planetary base, she might get eaten by monsters, even though I save the space.

Kirumaru and Soranetame like this.