10th August - Manipulates anything that matters!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 10, 2015.

1. SacredCaedeus

SacredCaedeus Phantasmal Quasar

.... *head scratch* Why is this a change that needs putting in? I can't make sense of it. The items this gets rid of didn't even take up space anyway; it's a non-issue from the start. I mean... neat, I guess, that you're giving the MM more to do? Honestly, I like the look of the paint sprayer. Does the wire tool have a neat look? It's been a while since I've played, so all I remember is the sprayer's look.

Not really complaining, honestly. I'm just scratching my head about the issue. It's a change that doesn't need to happen because the effect is the same, you're just removing the flavor. At the same time though, it really changes nothing because the tools are still there. Eh, whatever. Not like you can fight the change if you don't like it. *shrug* Unless there's a sudden mass upheaval over it.

kookok and artbomber1 like this.
  2. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Branding. IP. That's why.

3. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

its hard to get a mass upheaval over it, I dont think theres enought people interested in this anymore

4. artbomber1

artbomber1 Big Damn Hero

I'm probably the only one that strongly dislikes what's happening with them trying to shove the manipulator down my throat. I just sorta like using pickaxes... there goes that, then...

5. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

I know why they changed it :) You see, it's a lot easier to deal with on the Xbone controller if it's just a single tool.

6. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

You know... knowing CF... thats probably true

lordbociek likes this.
  7. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

This cosmetic change ruined my nightly build - it`s not launching anymore - :p

8. jasonzoo123

jasonzoo123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've read someone saying that the MM should have at least one more function just to make this changes looks not so dull. Well I guess I have the right new function for the MM , How About Creature capturing device that allows you to move entities or simpliy capturing them I think this function solves two problem at once. Just a suggestion though

PabloM likes this.
  9. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

But it essentially is no different than before, the tools just look alike... The code practically didn't change.

10. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Makes a lot more sense than carrying a laser beam paintball gun in your pockets.

11. jasonzoo123

jasonzoo123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Also just to calm everyone down let's just say that " mining is now POINTless" hahahah get it....cause w dont use pick...ahh nevermind.

12. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

But conceptually it's one tool now. So what can you do with one tool? You can use the same button and switch between modes with, say, L/R triggers, for example. Before this they'd have to deal with three separate buttons.

13. Mogg

Mogg Pangalactic Porcupine

Couldn't it already mine? All in one tool of trade.
    Nice not to have to cart around a billion different tools taking up inventory space.

14. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Hey @mollygos is it safe to assume that as the MM modes take up the same spaces as the Tools did in the toolbar, that switching between them would be EXACTLY the same as before? As in, hotkey, clicking on the icon, or scroll-wheel? Like every other space on the toolbar?

15. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, matter manipulator now actually manipulates anything that matters. Including molecular structure of an object's surface, changing the color spectrum, reflected from said object. In my book works perfectly.

M_Sipher and Kawa like this.
  16. StarScribe

StarScribe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or replicate a laser drill instead...

Vuldreg likes this.
  17. scaper12123

scaper12123 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It actually doesn't seem like that big of a change. Like one of those "ninja" changes. But there's nothing wrong with it I suppose, so... cool!

18. Nimja

Nimja Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm probably WAY too late for this, but aesthetically, it would be nicer to make the wire-icon go from bottom left to top right. Just like the other icons.

PabloM likes this.
  19. kookok

kookok Star Wrangler

Good, minor, aesthetic change. It still occupies the 3 slots it used to. Think of it as re-skinning the two other tools. No offense meant, but this did not deserve to be posted as an "update". I could do this change myself in less than 10 minutes. Literally.

EDIT: I'm finding it hilarious how people are now thinking that "you no longer have 3 separate tools". You're still going to have to use the SAME shortcut keys before to activate the functions (that were already there BTW.) for that specific task you want to accomplish. So basically, this changed NOTHING except for the skin of the two other tools.

1. They are still occupy the 3 slots they used to occupy.
    2. They still all function the exact same way.
    3. You still pull them up the exact same way.

lordbociek likes this.
  20. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I was thinking a more interesting change would be to see the actual matter mainpulator transform into other tools instead.

Similar to the Dominator Gun in Psycho Pass. [ Or in the video's case a real life replica of it ]

Of course the down side being for modders it might be a headache to do extra animation for unique matter manipulator models.

PabloM, Kawa and kookok like this.