10th August - Manipulates anything that matters!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  2. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I like this! Switching between the other tools was always kinda inconvenient. Also, the names "wire tool" and "paint tool" were kind of... not so creative.

Shador likes this.
  3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

At least, I may just refer to the other two as «Wiring Module», and «Painting Module». Say, mind if the old painting tool come back, as its own limited-energy, high radius painting device?

Tourquilian, jonathonspy and MrChow like this.
  4. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

That is a really small change if I understand it correctly... You just used the same sprite for all three tools, right?
    Nevertheless, I like it!

NOAHDADDY likes this.
  5. DareDreamer

DareDreamer Void-Bound Voyager

I don't really see how this changes anything important.

Really it's just a few sprites and a tiny piece of lore concerning what the Manipulator can do. Same hot keys are being used to swap between the same functions for the same purpose. Except now other players are less likely to know what you're doing at a glance, due to the tool in your hand not changing to reflect this.

I don't hate this change, I just simply don't see the point of it.

6. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Okay it's not a very important change but it's more logical to have one tool, because the Stuff is supposed to be IN the Matter Manipulator, but the Wire Tool and the Paint Tool are supposed to be OUT of him, and holding three tools is quite bulky. ^^

7. Dinoyipi

Dinoyipi Big Damn Hero

Looks good for now, but if it gains any further functions, there won't be much room for hotkeys. Here's my suggestion: T to select/deselect the Manipulator, and R/Y to cycle functions.

Nos37, NOAHDADDY, Tourquilian and 6 others like this.
  8. Warget

Warget Giant Laser Beams

I hope this will went better than I expect.

Titanium likes this.
  9. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

For the older players that's been playing and following the current/unstable/nightly and dev blog for progress, this is a small change. But for newer players, I can see that the intention is to encourage them to see that the Matter Manipulator is the primary digging tool (and all around multi-tool) instead of trying to find/build pickaxes.

Nice! :D

10. Brainslime

Brainslime Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Makes sense, I like it!

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I don't like the change because it removes the sense of progressing by consolidating three tools you have to unlock separately into the function of one you have from the beginning. Combined with how the recipes for pickaxes and drills are being removed to "further emphasize the Matter Manipulator", I see progression in Starbound becoming pretty much nonexistent outside of armor, and I really don't like that change.

Tourquilian, maranor, Retr0 and 7 others like this.
  12. HellArcher

HellArcher Void-Bound Voyager

Radius upgrades applies to paint tool too then? And maybe it should give more range for wiring... Also very nice change!

13. Biirdy Daysleeper

Using a pickaxe while you have an automatic device is pretty weird, but at least drills have a nice design so it can be logic. ^^
    Concerning the tools I have nothing to say. See it like you want I don't have arguments.

Tourquilian and sid3aff3ct like this.
  14. infernalbane

infernalbane Void-Bound Voyager

That's cool, but we already had that convenience. Unless all those tools are unlocked as soon as you receive the Matter Manipulator, nothing really changes except the appearance of the paint tool and the wiring tool... I'm not complaining, it just doesn't seem like it changes much of anything since you still have to switch between the different modes. The change just seems a little puzzling.

EDIT: Looked at some of the comments, and I guess it makes sense. Genomech's and Farathil's comment about making it modular (antenna pops out for wiring, color cartridge for painting, etc.) and making it more useful (adding a grappling hook or flashlight) would be pretty cool additions. :) Somehow, I think the grappling hook and flashlight are going to end up as weapon accessories later in the game from what the devs may have said in previous posts... idk

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm kinda imaging the beamaxe announcing mode changes like a Kamen Rider weapon might. In fact...

Break_Gunner.png

16. Makes things a little more simple and makes it feel more like the omni-tool that it's supposed to be.

17. Dragon-fan

Dragon-fan Void-Bound Voyager

just have the Manipulator have a inventory slot to carry what you are going to use and it will automatically switch to that tool. Like if you put wires in it wiring mode, building material build mode, empty/pickax/drill/ mining tool and have Tec upgrades to unlock functions for each tool.

18. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Except when the specialized, simple tool is only effective at one thing (mining) and only does so better than an un-upgraded Matter Manipulator.

Too bad that the recipes for all tools are being erased, so you'll only be able to find drills (which are already useless now).
    Too late.

lordbociek and 1nfinitezer0 like this.
  19. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I feel as if they are going to do this, probably think about adding 1 or 2 more functions, simply because this really just seem like a sprite change. Like i don't know, maybe it can also function as a grappling hook or as a flashlight when not in use.

20. Biirdy Daysleeper

Please avoid sarcasm thank you. I just want to say I don't want to enter in a debate that's all.

sid3aff3ct likes this.