22 July - Grass Inspector

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 22, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

22 July - Grass Inspector

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Caught this on Twitter earlier. Fun times.

3. Ohhh, ore merchant is pretty awesome. Definitely going to make use of that.

4. glasspug

glasspug Phantasmal Quasar

There is now so much stuff in starbound, I wonder how large the next stable will be?

Captain Rage likes this.
  5. TanzNukeTerror

TanzNukeTerror Ketchup Robot

Love the ore merchant idea. Sometimes, it's easier to spend pixels than go digging around for ages. Especially when you're just having the worst of luck.

Also, good news! The new farming mechanics can be automated! They've made it so you can run water under, and the soil will absorb some. However, you can't just have a stagnant pool of water under some soil. The water tiles have to be updated, or something. So for automation, leave the space under the soil empty and just run some water under it every 30 seconds or so. I posted a GFY of that in /r/Starbound. Alas, this is only my third comment here, so I can't link it in this.

[​IMG]

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The Ore merchant is a great idea, but not really fond of it being in the out post.
    Would have been nice if it was on a desert planet with a mining building.

See some miners in action in the mines - simply swinging their pick axes like skyrim.

Added it for you

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

The ore merchant staying in the Outpost is actually an awesome idea that gives all players access to a Pixel-based shortcut for tiering, which is a very good thing.

Akre, Greatblackshark and Milhafre like this.
  8. TanzNukeTerror

Thanks a ton! I didn't want to spam by adding another comment just to link a GFY.

9. Lagoz

Lagoz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

10. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

Several megabytes.

Unclever title and DaedricShadow like this.
  11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

So many megabytes.

Unclever title and DaedricShadow like this.
  12. Mackinz

much megabyte

very download

wow

13. Burnalot

Burnalot Void-Bound Voyager

I like what I see.

Now can you make it posible to set the fields on fire? You know, incase of a nasty case of randomly mutated killer plants. :fusrodah:

14. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I am not certain, but going what I tested in nightly a week or so ago, it seems to me like the liquid water needs to make contact with the tilled block to dampen it. So it might be better to have the water run on top of the crops rather than underneath them. Or possibly have the tubes underneath the farmland filled completely with water, not sure if that would work though.

15. Mackinz

A week ago? A week ago, fluids lacked possible interactions with tiles so you aren't exactly operating with the same knowledge as TanzNukeTerror whose model works in the current Nightly.

The Squid likes this.
  16. bobbilc

bobbilc Void-Bound Voyager

Something finally interesting when it comes to examination.

17. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

We're saved! Now all we have to do is get the water to replenish itself. I posted a couple of ideas for that in yesterday's thread.

(On the other hand, the idea of actually having to take care of your plants individually is growing on me - provided they make farming actually deeper and more rewarding, instead of just more time-consuming HAVE YOU SEEN MY IDEAS IN THE OTHER THREAD BECAUSE I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THEM)

As for the ore merchant, I think those prices seem pretty good. The materials should be sort of expensive, so there's still an incentive to go mining. If there are too many shortcuts, you won't have any game left.

18. TanzNukeTerror

I pulled an idea from the same guy in my post about automation in /r/Starbound this morning. :p

Godbot likes this.
  19. ConsPark

ConsPark Big Damn Hero

She looks forward and what does she see? Just darkness. Just darkness.... /depress

The Squid and DragonsForce like this.
  20. Doctor Devil

Doctor Devil Big Damn Hero

Really helpful things in todays update, gotta admit. Although I *really* hope the merchant will sell Durasteel and other alloys because those are the most iritating thing to get in the end game... adding teleporters made it much easier, since now you can deploy a mine on lower tier planets, but it still takes too much time (especially on low-end PCs like mine :cry:)