1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Ship Yard 1.0.1 (Tiny Bug Fix)

Block-based space station with docked regular ships.

1. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

simulatoralive updated Ship Yard with a new update entry:

Freaky Fish Guy

Read the rest of this update entry...

2. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

another recommendation, im not sure if this is hard or easy as i am not really far into modding, but it doesn't really feel like a hangar. if it had some background walls then yes!!! I understand that you use a "blankish" colored picture to generate dungeons and ships, so im not sure if this is hard.. i hope not

3. simulatoralive

Not possible insofar as I can tell. I can put down background walls as tiles. The problem is that the ship's image would be covered up by them.

I could put down some kind of background image, just like the ship, since they're drawn in the order they're listed in the file (I screwed up on the location of the images for the glitch ship at one point and it was in the same place as the human ship).

I'm trying to avoid introducing more art resources, as I'd like this mod to be vanilla multiplayer compatible. As of now, it should be.

Perhaps I should stop calling them hangars and instead call them docking bays? Or is there a better word?

4. simulatoralive

5. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

thanks for taking that on board but i would say docking bays would be good name, although i think somewhere out there in the English language there is a better word

6. simulatoralive

Novakidding

7. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

halfway there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well over halfway but still
    also could you add thrusters into the ship locker? i understand that the actually thrusters is part of the ship well as the flame is an actual tile. so just the ship flames then?

8. simulatoralive

There seems to be a slight problem with that. The Super Magic Custom Island included thrusters in the locker. Since Spirited Giraffe, they're turning into Perfectly Generic Items.

I think that is because all ships were using the same thrusters until then and were altered to use their own after that and the ones listed in the treasure pool no longer exist. I know I've had to do a fair bit of messing about with replacing thruster colors, because the block keys all use the same colors for them, even though they're different objects.

The developers also seem to have put some kind of protection around certain objects in game, so they can't be spawned by admin commands. Thrusters are among those, along with certain other ship parts. Spawning them and then fiddling around with placing them would have been a first easy step to figuring out if and how I might make use them.

So, the short version is, I'll look into this. It'll give me a small break from adding ships.

Also, thank you for the encouragement along the way. That's always nice.[DOUBLEPOST=1434944645][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay. I got bad news.

The thrusters that are being spawned in the treasure pool are the exact same ones that are being used on the human ship and glitch ship.

So, I can place them, but I cannot make them appear usefully in the ship locker. Sorry.

The only reason for this seems to be that the developers made it so for no reason I can fathom.

Hrm. If I knew how to patch object files, I'd know how to fix this problem.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  9. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

okay thanks anyway, you've done good by adding all that other loot in there (especially that 3d printer :D) could you add more research stations though? i would prefer 1 on each ship and perhaps when your done adding all the ships could you place different folders in the zip folder each labeled with a different race so we could choose what race/ race combination to have this station thing, but no i have attempted modding before and failed horribly although i did see something name the "modding ebook" the ultimate modding tutorial. but didn't check it out so here is the link if it may help you it is a little basic but still might be some help
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/unofficial-modding-ebook.2930/

10. simulatoralive

Good point on the number of research stations. I'll fiddle around with the treasure pool for my next release, which should be soon. I'll make sure there's 8 of them. One for each ship, plus one more for the station.

I can't take credit for the initial contents of the ship locker, however. That was already done in the Super Magic Custom Island. I just borrowed it's guts as a starting point.

I can report with much joy that I've studied up a bit on patch files and managed to produce patches for the "booster" items (engine flares/thrusters) in the initial treasure for the ship locker. Not only will you get three types of these in the locker, but you'll also be able to scan them into the 3D Printer. Oddly enough, their pixel costs are zero.

11. simulatoralive

Booster Fix + Printable 3D Printer

12. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

wow!!! yay!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD AWESOME now i can turn the station into a HUGE EPIC SHIP :D thank you for taking my requests

13. simulatoralive

No biggie. Mostly things I was going to do anyway. Just not quite this soon. Constructive criticism is always good.

After playing around with those boosters, I noticed a small visual bug. The boosters that go on the bottom of a ship have 1 pixel of empty space between themselves and the surface they're placed on. I'm not sure if this is material specific or not. I'm going to have to investigate and possibly supply an alternative booster. I think the Glitch equivalent should work better. I'll test and see what happens.

14. simulatoralive

Fixed Booster Fix

15. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

hmm odd but interesting i've done some thinking and considering this doesn't add some new content it sorta .. rearranges things (no offence) should it work in multiplayer??? and how would this work on existing chars

16. simulatoralive

I may be wrong (I haven't tested), but I think this whole mod should be vanilla multiplayer compatible except for the tiny changes I've made to the boosters. After all, the Super Magic Custom Island is vanilla multiplayer compatible.

I just suspect that you wouldn't be able to hand a booster to another character, but once they're placed, they should be fine. I also wouldn't suggest upgrading your ship while logged into a server without the mod. I don't know what would happen. If anyone wants to try it I'd love to know the results and see the log file if it doesn't work.

As for getting an existing character a Ship Yard, I would suggest starting a new character and then use admin commands to upgrade the ship to match the old character's tier. Do not skip tiers or some objects will not appear, especially lights.

Once properly upgraded, replace the old character's ship world file with the new one by copying and then re-naming the file. You may have to delete backups of their ship world, as well. I don't know.

With the new character, you can easily upgrade to Tier 1 by talking to SAIL.
    The admin commands required for other tiers are as follows (/admin toggles admin mode on and off):
    Code:
    /admin
    /spawnitem shipT2
    /spawnitem shipT3
    /spawnitem shipT4
    /spawnitem shipT5
    /spawnitem shipT6
    /spawnitem shipT7
    /spawnitem shipT8

Then use the items produced (in order) to get to the desired tier. Please note that Tier 3 and higher upgrades will take some time (about 8 seconds on my system and your mileage may vary).

I've been using these commands extensively for testing. Please note that these commands do skip some important steps in character growth, such as the required nanosuits and what not.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  17. simulatoralive

Floran Fiesta

18. simulatoralive

Awesome Avian

19. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

okay i'm gonna test upgrading on a server, its normally inactive so should be safe[DOUBLEPOST=1435014842][/DOUBLEPOST]alright slight problem with multiplayer, I upgraded the ship to T2 (thrusters fixed) the went onto a server with the other tiered items, however upon upgrading to T3 (FTL repaired) it was reset to the ORIGINAL T3 human ship NOT the station. i upgraded to T4 and it became the larger T4 human ship, i was the only person on the server at the time so i beleive that the server host must have the mod installed
    odd

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  20. simulatoralive

So, you're saying Tier 3 became Starbound's Tier 3 and Tier 4 became Ship Yard Tier 4, if I'm reading correctly?

That is some wacky behavior. I would expect strictly one or the other. Not one of each.