1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Ship Yard 1.0.1 (Tiny Bug Fix)

Block-based space station with docked regular ships.

1. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

simulatoralive submitted a new mod:

Ship Yard - Block-based space station with docked regular ships.

Read more about this mod...

2. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

Neat idea.

3. simulatoralive

I don't see why we should have to choose. I want my cake and I want to eat it. ;-)

Just figured out how to upload a screenshot of the (currently) primitive airlock. There's now a thumbnail version to click on on the main page.

Here it is, for the impatient:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. simulatoralive

simulatoralive updated Ship Yard with a new update entry:

Trimmed Some Fat

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Old_Crazy_Gamer Pangalactic Porcupine

Very Interesting Concept. Hope to see more of it in the future. Good Luck.

6. simulatoralive

7. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

8. simulatoralive

Glitchin' Fix

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1434434382][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thank you for the very useful suggestion.

I put up some screenshots of each ship tier on the overview page. I wrapped them in a spoiler tag, since there's so many of them.

They're zoomed out pretty dang far, though. At least for Tier 3+, since the station gets pretty big at that point. You can just barely see the tiny ant-like test character in the middle.

The mod you pointed me to also helped me notice a bug I introduced yesterday in Tier 7 of the human ship, so thanks again.

On a related note, I now know how to turn any vanilla ship into a ghost ship, hehe. Sometimes bugs are fun and suggest new features.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  9. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

:3 sounds interesting, maybe make a glass ship?? as in make a ship transparent and say its made of "tinted glass" or something,
    i really like where this is headed, :D so exciting

10. simulatoralive

I've been laying out the hangars for every race in a kind of template file. The current version has them all crammed together randomly, wherever they might fit, but it occurs to me that this will annoy builders (in other words, me!).

So, I'm going to have to completely re-arrange the map. I think I'll stack them on top of each other, so each airlock is attached to the same vertical shaft/stairwell. That way, everything to the right of them can be used for building space.

I imagine players are going to have to use teleporters to get around this massive ship world.

Unfortunately, this also means all the work I put into moving the backgrounds around into the right places was wasted. Oh well. I'm getting faster with each ship I include.

Here's the template for the new block arrangement, if you're interested. I added a one or two letter designation to help me keep it straight which ship would go where. The little dot above and to the right of the letters helps me align the first room of the ship. I'll probably add the shuttle bay at the bottom, which is part of the reason there's room for at least one more ship.
    Ship Yard Vertical Block Layout.png

11. snakeanarchy

snakeanarchy Phantasmal Quasar

not sure if its possible, but suggestion, have this construct findable in orbit of a star or planet, and when you go to it, beam over, instead of having the front of your ship cracked open. i assume there is a way of the game being able to tell which ship race and class. When you beam in, the ship can show up as though docked to the left or wherever but be basically a decoration (ie not able to view the inside). think star trek space-dock, but you have to beam back to the ship to interact with it. apologies if my description is not clear.

12. simulatoralive

To be honest, I have no idea how to do that or if it's even possible. I'm new to Starbound modding. I've only just barely figured out how to build a ship mod in the past week.

13. riscles

riscles Orbital Explorer

i like this new idea, but to be honest it doesn't really feel... stationy???? i suppose it is a start and we could build and customize our own stations but, to be honest it feels like a couple of ships welded together i certainly like where this is headed though

14. simulatoralive

Then what might you suggest to make it more stationy?

At the moment, I'm just trying to get the bare bones of every ship together in one ship world and give them permanent locations. I figure anything more than the bare bones is better left to players. Personally, I'm going to turn mine into a floating burger stand (something like the Monolith Burger, from Space Quest 3), or perhaps something like a huge space mall. The fun bit is that the ship crews will wander all over the map, talk to each other, etc.

Hrm. How about parking the ship hangars all around the edges of the map with an open space in the middle, linked by corridors? It'll be a nightmare for testing, but them's the breaks sometimes. If I'm going to start over again, this would be the time to do it. I've only just finished adding all tiers of the human ship back in. I could leave it where it is and move the others. I could also park them along the top, left and bottom and then leave the right side wide open, since their bridges/cockpits are all facing the wrong way to park them there, anyway.

The reason I re-did it with the vertical layout was mostly because it makes access to the ships easier.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  15. snakeanarchy

the way i would do it would be exactly like how you beam from ship to asteroid field, except have a receiving transporter pad (not really required but would look good), and a generic picture of your race ship to whichever side you prefer, if you set it up correctly, you could use that human mothership that's chilling unused in the game files (there is already an airlock setup on the lower left quadrant). You could also set it up as a random encounter/dungeon where you have to clear out star-bases. that would be fun. Would take some doing but worth it, and i understand that would be content they plan to put in the game much later on. Sorry if this is a rehash of what i posted earlier.[DOUBLEPOST=1434546990][/DOUBLEPOST]also, to be fair, doing it like ^^^, you don't need to represent the whole ship, just small front portion.

16. simulatoralive

It sounds like you might have a better idea how to build that than I would, then. I don't know how to do dungeons, yet.

I just want a ship mod with docked ships, that's all. Building it as a dungeon would have to be a project for another day and another mod. From what I've gathered in researching ship mods, dungeons are only very slightly similar.

You're welcome to use any parts of my mod if you want to build your idea.

BTW, I've been sifting though the game's assets for that mothership/space station/whatever. I've heard about it before and was curious to see it. Anyone know where I can find it? It might be worth doing something with as a side project.

17. snakeanarchy

based on my delving in the google, and almost missed it, maybe \Starbound\assets\ships\human ? not 100%

18. simulatoralive

Not there. That's the first place I looked.

I've been referencing files from there quite a bit as I do my editing, since the in-ship blocks are mostly just carbon copies of the originals from there.

From what I read today, that old mothership thing was for a planned feature that never happened, as they decided to go another route. It was supposed to be something akin to a multiplayer home ship, if starbounder.org can be believed.

19. snakeanarchy

not sure then, it suggested it was labelled as dropship something... maybe referenced in error.

20. simulatoralive

Glitchin' vertigo

Read the rest of this update entry...