1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Unofficial Modding Ebook 2.0 SB v1.05 [ Ebook v2.2a ]

Learn to make mods for Starbound 1.0

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

xxswatelitexx submitted a new mod:

Unofficial Modding Ebook - Quick Start Guide to Modding Starbound

Read more about this mod...

2. The | Suit

xxswatelitexx updated Unofficial Modding Ebook with a new update entry:

Guns and Farmables

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

Page 7:
    Also, at page 25, you should probably mention the boolean "hasObjectItem" parameter right under "printable". Something like this:

And probably this (it's more complicated to understand for a newcomer, though):

The | Suit likes this.
  4. The | Suit

Ill do it in my next update thanks.
    I have a flight to catch so don't know when ill be back exactly.

5. The | Suit

For some reason I have the backslash in mine. I wonder if its a rendering error in PDF will check it out.

6. The | Suit

xxswatelitexx updated Unofficial Modding Ebook with a new update entry:

Status Effects and Consumables

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

Apparently, the mistype is still there:

8. The | Suit

Edit
    Apparently I am blind as a bat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    MrChow likes this.
  9. The | Suit

10. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

I don't know if I'd use it but geese 48 pages? Must of took a long time. Good work.

11. Old_Crazy_Gamer

Old_Crazy_Gamer Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi all, DL the ebook and currently trying to understand whats in it. Boy there is a lot to understand when it comes to moding. Is there any chance you will be putting material for making your own ship in there in the future, Since i am having some problems understanding the topic that is being explained and it doesnt cover enough to make heads or tails for a beginner like me. Thanks again and keep up the great work.

12. The | Suit

The book is designed not for specific topics - but to do it in completion from front to back.
    So if you do everything in order - modding will make more sense.

Make sure you do all the examples with the book.
    Making Custom Ships is an advanced topic - which won't be possible unless these basics are solid.

Ship design consists of 2 parts the Actual Image and the Pixel Map the Block Key and finally the Ship file.
    Once you have created a few mods - you can read this tutorial

http://community.playstarbound.com/...outpost-includes-basic-biome-knowledge.96385/

Varixai likes this.
  13. The | Suit

I am updating the guide to version 2 soon
    With some added caveats.

14. moutandihami

moutandihami Yeah, You!

I was reading this guide, and I noticed a large number of grammar errors, among others. If it's not too much to ask, could I proofread the current released version, or the version you've yet to release, and send you the error fixes? It might sound like a weird request, but I'd be flattered if you'd let me help.

15. The | Suit

No problem, I generally only correct grammatical mistakes if I see them when correcting some other issue.
    It will still be some time before version 2 comes out, but feel free to correct any mistakes and post them when you see it. I will do the corrections on next update and give credit.

16. moutandihami

moutandihami Yeah, You!

Thanks so much for letting me help! I have to ask, and we can discuss this in private messaging if you want to keep the thread on-topic, but would you be able to read annotated pdf files? It's the standard for the proofreading "industry," but I'm flexible.

17. The | Suit

I own a copy of acrobat I don't see why not.
    But the book is actually written in MS Word and just exported to PDF.

18. moutandihami

moutandihami Yeah, You!

Heh, well, I'm a filthy linux user, and when I opened it in LibreOffice, something happened to the body text, and it went off the "paper" into the empty space to the side. I think it doesn't have the right font or something, but it's apparently not a common enough problem to troubleshoot with anything other than swear words and giving up :)

19. Amethystumn

Amethystumn Pangalactic Porcupine

Is there a such thing as making patches for Lua files?

20. moutandihami

moutandihami Yeah, You!

A Lua file is just a text file with a different file extension/magic number than normal, like a .txt file. I don't understand what you mean by "patch" in this context, but hopefully that clarifies what you can and can't do to a Lua file. To add to that, if you mean patch as in patching software, possibly in a git repo, for instance, or even on Steam, then yes, you can patch a Lua file, just like any other file in a software repository.