1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Purchasable Pets [SB 1.2] v1.4

Buy pets at Infinity Express

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Well I went and checked - the Store shows the actual object and not its icon.
    So there would be no way to show the pet - sorry.

2. The mod behaves a bit strangely if you already had a pet on your ship prior to installing. If you spawn a pet from this mod and remove the house, they remain on the ship permanently unless you kill it with hazards. The Pet Trap item also appears to not work for some reason. Though, do bear in mind this only applies to IF you had a pet prior to installation. It works fine otherwise.

On another note, I thank you for making this mod. Not for the sake of having pets optional, but allowing me to spawn pets through non-admin commands (for some reason, you can't spawn pets properly using admin commands. At least, on my end. Really weird.). I've been using that as a way to test my own custom pets. Hope ya don't mind me using your mod as such.
    [​IMG]
    (Changed the pet houses to "certificates" since the pets wouldn't actually sleep in their own houses, making them kinda redundant.)
    Theoretically, you can technically show the pet through the object's icon. However, you'd have to make your own icons for each individual pet instead of having them all share the same icon.

J_Mourne likes this.
  3. The | Suit

No problem at all, feel free to use the code all you want, your pets look great by the way.
    Also I Tried the icons at the store. It only shows the pet house, and the icon as a tiny little box on top.

Edit
    The pet trap won't work if you use a modified pet behavior file.

Dragonith likes this.
  4. Phantaeon

Phantaeon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wait so would I(or anybody else) be able to sprite and script custom pets to add to your mod? granted it not being a ginormous superpet or one that has superAI like flying around, sitting on other pet's heads or warping space and time to crash the game. errrrr.... scrap that last one.

5. The | Suit

Of course
    My mod doesn't actually doesn't do anything fancy. All it simply does is remove the pet spawner script from the tech station and add it to a custom object.

The pet spawner script is the one which spawns the pet and the pets have their own custom scripts.
    Making custom graphics for the pet i pretty straight forward since all you need to do is copy the sprite sheet of one of the pets and add the appropriate files by copy and paste.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  6. What I mean is, you can change the icon to a custom one that shows the pet instead of the default pet house icon lol. However, problem is the icon would likely not display properly in multiplayer unless the other players have the mod installed (since its not using any of the vanilla assets).

Oddly enough I didn't edit any of the pet behavior files when I tested it. Weird, but duly noted.

7. The | Suit

xxswatelitexx updated Purchasable Pets with a new update entry:

Version 2 - 1000 Downloads!!

Read the rest of this update entry...

8. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

I downloaded the mod and it works efficiently as advertised; well done.

I had a technical question, however, more of as a related modding challenge I've been butting my head against for some time. Looking at the mechanics for pets, it seems quite similar to the mechanics for regular NPC spawners. Your mod though, particularly how destroying the pet house 'scooped' the pet, gave me some interesting ideas. I'm wondering if you'd have any suggestions for how to create a spawner that spawns a regular NPC, but then 'scoops' them again when destroyed just as your pet houses do.

If this is completely off topic and you don't care to answer, that's fine. Just something of yours I wasn't able to decipher and particularly admired.

Cheers.

9. The | Suit

To be honest this feature was not done by me but actually by chucklefish.
    Also probably why you are having trouble deciphering it since only 1 of the 2 files needed is in my mod.

As far as I am aware it is based on 2 scripts
    • Pet Spawner Script [ Part of my Mod [
    • Ground Pet Script [ In monsters folder \ pets - not part of my mod ]

The pet spawner script calls the ground pet script and sets the anchor
    When an anchor is set its lively hood is dependent on the anchor.
    As when the anchor is no longer available the pet's health is set to 0

The pet Spawner constantly checks if the entity ID set to it has disappeared and if it has will respawn the pet.
    This is also why the reproduction bug probably happens. As the 2nd part of the script sets it self as an anchor if no script calls for it.

Now the part my mod actually does is very little.
    • It removes the pet spawner script from the tech stationand adds it to a custom object
    • Also it stores the values in the custom object [ not part of vanilla ]
      • Other wise each time you break and replace the object you would have a totally different pet of the same species.

If you have any other doubts feel free to ask. Almost all the modders in the community would be happy to answer any doubt you have. Also feel free to make use of our modding help section on the forums.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    J_Mourne likes this.
  10. JunosatoRyu

JunosatoRyu Pangalactic Porcupine

Question: Would it be possible to make/design own pets?
    As in: you could add pets to your mod I (or any other designer designed) and we could purchase those with your mod.

I don't understand &§%$ of coding, but I can design stuff.
    ( Had no nice idea for a pet house yet though)

11. The | Suit

Its much simpler than you think.
    In order to make your life easier I attached a file to this post - download it.
    Remake your new pet using those exact frame sheets. It cannot be a different size frame. Each frame is 32 x 32 [ technically can be - but to make it easy as possible don't change the frame size ]
    Once you finished t hat just reply back with the same images, and Ill show you the rest of the steps.

Attached Files:

12. JunosatoRyu

You sir, just made my day~
    Aaaany particular wishes, specieswise?

As soon as I'm in a groove I could probably make you a FEW pets...

13. The | Suit

Feel free to make what ever you like
    Personally I think the Vanillia pets are way too human

Pig \ Snake \ Rabbit \ Weasel \ Crab
    Should be pets more varied based on the race.

Maybe some Gooey Slime Pod
    or Tiny Robot Anyway do what ever interests you.

14. JunosatoRyu

Perfect~
    I'm already half done with a Space Squid pet and have a Slime and maybe a small Dinosaur like creature in the plannings.

The | Suit likes this.
  15. The | Suit

To save time - so you can test faster.
    Once you are done go to monster \ pets folder

Inside you will see the snuggest folder or crassberry which ever one I gave you.
    Copy the monster type file and animation file
    rename it to your monster
    also open the monster type file and inside you will need to rename those names also.

Make sure you keep that exact same directory structure for your monster

At this point you would have a custom monster.
    To spawn it - use one of my mods spawners and inside you should see a line shipPetType: name
    rename that to your monster name and place the spawner and test it out.

16. The | Suit

17. Noah10099

Noah10099 Aquatic Astronaut

:) I just downloaded this mod right before you updated it

The | Suit likes this.
  18. The | Suit

19. JunosatoRyu

Oh, testing ain't the issue as much as recoloring it into the different colorpalettes...
    But I'm in the finishing steps already.[DOUBLEPOST=1431464124][/DOUBLEPOST]
    NEAT.
    But I'll still finish the Squid and hand it to you to use with your mod as a thank you for helping me.

Here is the little Inkspitter.
    Added a Solid Gold one as a "shiny" for Lucky players.

Attached Files:

The | Suit likes this.
  20. The | Suit

Looks fantastic here - I switched the code over so it should be working fine.
    You are missing the rest of the jump frames though so the creature disappears.

Feel free to release it as your own mod.
    You will need to write in the mod overview description that it needs purchasable pets dependency since it in order for it to work it uses a custom AI code.
    But ya

Attached Files: