Tool [Updated]Asset Packaging/Unpackaging GUI Frontend (for 1.0)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by chrisgbk, Apr 27, 2015.

1. chrisgbk

chrisgbk Subatomic Cosmonaut

[​IMG]

Now with Starbound 1.0 support!

New Version(2.4): [ MODERATOR EDIT - Dead Link Removed ] -> File Attached to Post.
    Source(2.3.4): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21024057/PAK_GUI_source.zip

Virus Scans:
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...03c7945203c88f010eda0d8d85c5871/analysis/1469
    (0 results)
    https://www.metadefender.com/#!/results/file/c8d92d302f0343ddbf2d69e6511dc3a2/extracted/files
    (0 results)
    https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/0wy4ovz6rg
    (1 false positive for Potentially Unwanted Application)

For those that don't know, this is a utility to assist with packing/unpacking pak/modpak files. Supports drag and drop, as well as guided via the buttons. Auto-finds the location of the tools for you.

2.4 Beta
    - Fix for Starbound 1.0
    - Fix for detecting Starbound install location under Steam x64

2.3.4 Beta
    - Add tooltips for advanced options
    - Add link to this forum thread
    - Hopefully fix certain themes cutting off part of the log??

2.3.3 Beta
    - Fixes inability to pack files in new versions of Starbound with the old version.
    - Adds experimental support of advanced packing options for those who use it (server mode, digest generation, ignore file)
    - Probably other small fixes I made and never released then forgot about.

Bugs, feature requests, and questions welcome. Source available on request.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Thanks for your work making and updating this, I'm sure this is helpful for people who pack and unpack very often or are more casual users. :up:

As for feature requests:
    1. Save window position between runs
    2. Save More/Less drop down position between runs
    3. Add a link to this post somewhere (in a ? icon perhaps)
    4. Add a mini manual or tooltips for the advanced options
    The window doesn't resize, so I'm not sure if the log text box is supposed to be cut off at the bottom or not.

3. chrisgbk

Updated to 2.3.4, see main post.

I've fixed/implemented some of these (hopefully.) I might change some of the others in the future. Let me know if the log is still cut off or not.

Dunto and The | Suit like this.
  4. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Log is not cut off anymore, and the forum link works. Thanks!

5. chrisgbk

I threw the source up on here in case anyone is interested.

Dunto and The | Suit like this.
  6. BriannaTheHedgehog

BriannaTheHedgehog Void-Bound Voyager

Spent 2 hours searching for a working recent tutorial on how to unpack via command prompt. No success. Found this and took me less than 5 minutes to do what I spent 2 hours failing to figure out. Really appreciate the things people create to make life a little simpler for others, so thank you. = )

7. Foose

Foose Subatomic Cosmonaut

seems to be doing its job right now thanks, but when the icon is looks like a Greek/Trojan helmet it really makes me scared of a virus

Mayoko likes this.
  8. MikkelManDK

MikkelManDK Phantasmal Quasar

Fantastic tool! Is there a way to make an ignore file that makes the tool only extract .png files and keep directory structure? I'm guessing I would need to put all other file extensions in the ignore file, right? but is that possible?
    Extracting the png files and using them as a mod is the only way to make the nightly work when the asset file is shipped broken, so that would make life a lot easier for nightly players.

9. chrisgbk

That's the default icon supplied by the IDE I use, Delphi. They use a large amount of Greek imagery. I don't have any icons of my own, not an artist.
    It only can support what the starbound tools support, since it uses them. The unpacking tool only supports unpacking the entire file, not selective unpacking. But after unpacking you can use
    Code:
    ROBOCOPY C:\Source C:\Destination *.png /S
    to copy from the unpacked folder to a mod folder.

10. TigerBlitz

TigerBlitz Big Damn Hero

I'm having a problem...
    I put the .PAK thing in the folder, I put the directory...

It says it's complete, but when I look in the folder that I put to be the unpack.. hmm... pak... it's empty

11. Mayoko

Mayoko Subatomic Cosmonaut

disappointing that it doesn't remember directories, beyond infuriating when you're testing. :fireball:

Thanks anyway

Lord Aries Greyscale likes this.
  12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Testing what?
    I never have to use this tool more then once... a month. What could you constantly be doing?

13. Mayoko

Mayoko Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really don't feel obligated to answer this question since I doubt you're going to update the program to remember directories. I'll humor you though, if the game assets have been updated they must be unpacked again, if I mess up a mod etc. I have to re-nav through drop downs which gets to be pretty irritating. I know you can paste directories into the program but you still need to navigate to the file requiring extraction etc or where to save it.

The program is nice in some ways but it needs some work in this regard. That's about the long and the short of it.

14. The | Suit

If you are going to keep repacking a mod.
    It would be far easier just to create your own bat script.

The same with a unpack bat script.

For example create a text file named unpack.bat and use notepad to edit it. Copy in code below.
    Change directory information as necessary. Do not use "Enter" as any spacing. The spacing must be exactly done as shown.
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    ECHO Please wait till unpacking finishes, you will be promoted when to close the window.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\unpacked"
    PAUSE

For packing
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    ECHO Please wait till unpacking finishes, you will be promoted when to close the window.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\asset_packer.exe" "test" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\test" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\test.pak"
    PAUSE

Same rules as above applies.
    The word "test" after the location of the packer is the name of the mod which it will be identified as on the loading screen.

After wards - just double click on the bat script, and it will do all the work for you.
    Remember you will need to change the directory information as necessary to match your own.

15. Spodi

Spodi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is there still an unpacker for old .modpacks out there? I only kept my mod in this format...

16. The | Suit

No, But you can try and ask Kawa he might have a copy of the old unpacker.

17. Spodi

Thanks, I will ask him with a pm (or conversation, what it is called here).

18. DragonZombie

DragonZombie Pangalactic Porcupine

Error: Too many positional arguments given, expected at most 2 got 3

That is the error that i get when packing the new starbound 1.0 assets

19. chrisgbk

I updated for 1.0. Download and enjoy!

20. Spodi

I know it is not quite the right topic here, but if anyone is in need of the pre-release unpacker (without frontend) just let me know. A friend still had the old files.

FooFooFoo likes this.