Tool Item Generator

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SleepySquidd, Feb 17, 2015.

1. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Starbound Modding Tools: Item Generator
    Tired of constantly copying files or creating them from scratch? Here's a solution!

NOTE: This was designed for Windows! It will still work on Mac (possibly Linux) but it will appear very broken!

After spending time on creating multiple items for a Starbound mod I thought to myself, "There has to be a better way than doing this all manually!". This is the product of about 30 minutes of quick coding, so if you experience ANY errors at all, please let me know!

Tutorial Video:

How to Install:
    1. Go to the Github page and download from the alternative site or compile the downloaded code
    2. Run the program, it's fairly straight forward and simple, so there should be no issues.
    3. Done, you now have a completely new item for Starbound!

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Q: Where did my file save to?
    A. Your file is automatically saved to the same location that the .jar file is placed in.

Q: How do I know this program isn't malicious?
    A: This is open-sourced, please check out the source-code on the GitHub page!

Q: I want to add more than one Blueprint or Quest when you pick the Item up, how do I do this?
    A: Format it like so: recipe1", "recipe2 repeat this as many times as needed. Never put quotations on the front or end of the input as these are automatically put in.

Q: The image isn't showing up! How do I fix it?
    A: Remember, when you put in the image name do NOT put in .png or .jpg, these are added automatically.

Q: I don't have any idea what I'm doing, please help!
    A: Go ahead and post in the discusson page, I'll be able to better help you there!

Useful Links:

GitHub

2. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

3. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Holy... Mother.. Crap that's what you have been doing all that time...

Anyways this is very unique.

4. SleepySquidd

I've mainly been working on updating it so it's more compatible and user friendly. Just wait until you see what i have planned for the next update :)

projectmayhem and The Markness like this.
  5. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Lol, lemme guess weapons, armor, monster, ect generator?

SleepySquidd likes this.
  6. SleepySquidd

You got it :)

7. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Lol nice, can't wait. Although i'll probably do most things by hand if I need to make it "special" with extra scripts, but as for items i'll use this since most items I make are crafting materials. :p

I feel like screaming lol. Java is a good program to do this with too, you could have used batch, but it would have been less visually interactive .

SleepySquidd likes this.
  8. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

brb creating 90000 new items.

The | Suit likes this.
  9. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

Also i'm having a bit of an issue opening the java files, i'm pretty sure I have java installed.[DOUBLEPOST=1424151695][/DOUBLEPOST]
    nvm, accidentally got the master version...

10. SleepySquidd

Released a quick update for all your Mac users. Program interface should look nicer now :)

Dekadrachm and The | Suit like this.
  11. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

nice! even though i'm not a mac user...

12. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

The download for the .jar file gives 404 file not found.

13. SleepySquidd

Fixed, thank you for pointing that out.

Bughunter and Naddox like this.
  14. SleepySquidd

Just as a heads up for everyone: I'm going to be working on updating this when I get back from camping. New features will include a Race Generator and Block Generator

15. Dekadrachm

Dekadrachm Heliosphere

sounds sexay, you should add a gun generator to make my life easier lol.

16. Masool123

Masool123 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm... Not sure how this works. the tutorial video shows a folder with two bits, Another folder and an "executable". I know what those are, but on mine, All it has are a "readme.mp", In which i cant open because i am unable to open an mp, and a file called "Liscence". No .whatever, Just Liscence. help?

17. SleepySquidd

This tool is very outdated and I'm not sure how well it works with the current version of starbound anymore, but there are no executable if you download it from GitHub. The link for the downloadable jar has since been removed so you have to compile it on your own (using Eclipse or Netbeans)

18. SleepySquidd

I've reuploaded the .jar file to dropbox (the new link is on github, please check there!).

In addition, if anyone wants to modify this program/take it on as their own project please feel free to contact me & I'll help you out and gladly let you take over :)

19. littleliam

littleliam Void-Bound Voyager

do I have to have java or some other coding thing to recognize the file?:poptop: