Experiments gone wrong!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Nodscouter, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Nodscouter

Nodscouter Subatomic Cosmonaut

What if... one of your experiments starts killing people?
    *Lightning flashes*
    We know that there'll be a lab, and we know that we'll be able to examine aliens and such.
    Now I suggest, that there's a 5% (ish) that each time you experiment on aliens, you end up creating a dangerous lifeform that breaks out and starts wrecking the spacestation. The new lifeform would look somewhat like the one you were experimenting on, but obviously mutated in some way, far more dangerous. There'll be a few different types, stealthy one that crawls around in vents and killing the crew without alerting anyone, brutish one, relying on toughness and strength to off the station without the need for subtetly and finally, an experiment that has the capability to dominate others bodies, turning them into zombies that do the experiments bidding.
    Bringing down this monstrosity would take incredible effort, as it is both tough and smart. You can however, always avoid even the chance by not experimenting on anything bigger than a rabbit, but this would mean that your research would go slower. Risk, and reward people, risk and reward.

saison, Xploding_Cherry, Ner and 3 others like this.
  2. EWA

EWA Twenty-three is number one

I like this idea especially the one where the creature takes over the body and turns them into a zombie. There should be a failed experiment that would possess an NPC and slowly kill it.

3. Nodscouter

Nodscouter Subatomic Cosmonaut

I didn't see any other threads anyway.

4. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Great idea, definitely something that would be more relevant late game. My only fear is since we don't know how you obtain NPCs for your SS, what would the implications of having them die be? Are we assuming that we can simply wait around for more or was that not something that would make sense in terms of the game, since the SS is meant to be a safe zone to go to away from the dangers of the planets.

5. NamAdNats

NamAdNats Master Chief

What if the zombified creations take over a planet resulting in some zombie side-quests or other stuffs? Making new "dead" planets and such.

6. Ketra

Ketra Starship Captain

I think you should be able to do genetic experiments on your self that could give you a really good buff or turn to some sort of monster or creature.:cool:

Xploding_Cherry likes this.
  7. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

They would start killing my crewbembers!?? I'm not sure if, everytime I experiment with something, I risk getting those precious NPCs killed I had to gather through long hardships. :unsure:

8. RocketPropelledPanda

RocketPropelledPanda Void-Bound Voyager

This will probably be implemented in some form but depending on how difficult it is to obtain NPC's it may not go after them or not. Also it is highly unlikely a 5% chance would be used as that would mean 1/20th of your experiments would put you in danger which is ludicrously high; a percentage such as 1 or .5 would probably be better.

9. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Better hope they arnt some parasitic alien that takes control of your NPC's and you wont be able to tell who is taken over and who isnt! remember to use fire kids.

10. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I would never experiment if the consequences could be that bad!
    Maybe reduce the damage those twisted experiments could cause to your NPCs and your spaceship,
    instead of the chance that someting will go wrong,
    and I'm totally supporting you!

11. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

I think it would be fun. But i agree it shouldnt be very high chance. And should be simple to fix in the off chance it did happen.

12. BluesClues

BluesClues Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This would either be really fun or extremely irritating. I suggest making the chance of it happening much lower, like 1% maybe?

13. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

Make them higher! like nodscouter said, risk and reward. that is one of the things that make games fun. maybe it wouldnt happen until you do a certain thing, like in terraria with the friendly npcs, and when you get farther into the game the chances get higher.

14. BluesClues

I understand why you would want this added but maybe you could toggle it on or off? Idunno i myself am not very good at video games so im scared that i wouldnt be able to stop it.

15. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

Like the difficulties in minecraft!

16. BluesClues

Touché.

17. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

Prehaps turn yourself into a Cyborg/Mutant with differant abilities depending on what you change into if you choose to experiment on yourself? would be interesting in my opinion

18. Froggiolis

Froggiolis Big Damn Hero

oooo that would be cool, but maybe a bit to much for an accident...

19. Ferroseed

Ferroseed Phantasmal Quasar

I think you'll end up having more than you need, so one or two dying might not be a big deal.

20. Nithilus

Nithilus Big Damn Hero

I think so long as you can get your teammates/NPC's back somehow (Revive them in medlab,Cloneing, Respawns) I dont think this would be a bad idea.