The Constructed Floran Language

Discussion in 'Other Fan Creations' started by MKSTAR26, Feb 15, 2015.

1. MKSTAR26

MKSTAR26 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

The Floran language is being brought about, built fully for a whole other incomparable culture and mindset.

A quick overview:

The language is loose and simple in form; e.g. a good portion of the vocabulary is compound words, tenses are conveyed by simply one of two words, sentences do not have a rigid structure.

It abides by what the Florans' English speech shows; sibilant, with short, succinct sentences that convey meaning as is required.

Care is being taken to avoid any pre-existing language's thought process, to ensure the result is appropriately alien and not just a set of substitutes for English.

It is being molded to as well as an idea of Floran society can be gathered; superiority and inferiority are core concepts, technology is considered a gift, other species are very roughly accounted for, etc.​

An example of what can be done so far:

Sunni luhssyr synna assa olosseh ysnikusuur talssu-isiieh, isiieh, isiieh - mens kassamnosseoh, rokys-surn asset, sukassam kss. Sunni rokys kuushuunsoran oss. Sunni assa isiieh, ysnikusuur oss. Soso isnoa kassam assa-kuushuunsoran?

And a rough English translation:

Many of us fought a giant, giant, giant beast - five mouths, eight eyes, and it breathed fire. Three of my siblings died. I won, and killed the beast. How does my sibling taste?

It should be observed that English struggles to capture how Floran works, since the two are logically incompatible languages and so Floran is being designed as such.

I invite you to discuss, test, and provide suggestions.​

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Paths

Paths Tentacle Wrangler

This looks well-put together and thoroughly researched!
    I look forward to seeing more of it! :3

MKSTAR26 likes this.
  3. T.Y.M.

T.Y.M. Phantasmal Quasar

Very good work, keep on with it!

MKSTAR26 likes this.
  4. Haunt

Haunt Pangalactic Porcupine

Incoming transmission
    [​IMG]
    Updated for phonetic accuracy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    MKSTAR26 likes this.
  5. MKSTAR26

[​IMG]
    get on my level, actual language

i can see why writing was banned now

Thanatos-IV and The | Suit like this.
  6. Protoeyesore

Protoeyesore Master Chief

Ahh, this is neat. Keep at it!

sid3aff3ct and MKSTAR26 like this.
  7. MKSTAR26

An anecdote has been written today in Floran, and vocabulary regarding family has been added to the documentation linked in the first page. Slowly gaining ground!

Floran:
    Sunni luhssyr synna assa olosseh ysnikusuur talssu-isiieh, isiieh, isiieh - mens kassamnosseoh, rokys-surn asset, sukassam kss. Sunni rokys kuushuunsoran oss. Sunni assa isiieh, ysnikusuur oss. Soso isnoa kassam assa-kuushuunsoran?

English (imperfect translation):
    Many of us faced a giant, giant, giant beast - five mouths, eight eyes, breathed fire. Three of my siblings died to it, but I was superior and killed the beast. Do you like how my sibling tastes?

A breakdown of the sentence's construction can be found here.

Thanatos-IV, Alkanthe and Paths like this.
  8. Nikolay Debroh

Nikolay Debroh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Google Custom Traslator...

mmm Maibe a good idea xDD

9. Bamboozler

Bamboozler Space Penguin Leader

To think there are people invested enough to create this. I find it exhilarating. I wonder if it's possible to come up with a complete guide to the Floren alphabet or if that isn't possible, a synthetic phonics guide.