Race Meet the Anodynes

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Suika Ibuki, Apr 3, 2013.

DianaWinters, Jellypuff and Jonesy like this.
  2. MorpheusOmikron

MorpheusOmikron Aquatic Astronaut

There are almost no words to describe how unfortunate it is that a cowboy themed race made it over this hellenistic greece one. The story even...God...I don't understand.

But listen. Please do not give up on this. You need to know that many people were bummed that Novakids got the ticket - I mean, "Merged"? They weren't merged. Your idea added nothing to them, it was just scrapped. Scrapped in favor of, I'm sorry, but tasteless drivel.

I still want to play the Anodynes, and I'm sure many people do. You should consider making a mod for them :) A mod which, specifically, replaces Novakids.

Thismuth, TMan1019 and Narks like this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Uh... the Anodynes were merged with the Novakid a long, long time ago. Before they were even considered for the game, in fact.

Dragonith likes this.
  4. I mean, you have every right to not like the Nova Kids, but calling them tasteless drivel? Come now, that's just insulting to Bietol. He put a lot of time and energy into coming up with his own take on a star race. :/

Relten and Jonesy like this.
  5. MorpheusOmikron

I really don't know what to say. I can imagine what it would be like for my own work to be called "tasteless drivel" - and it's such a strong term. I think the Novakid idea was, at least, interesting..just..compared to the Anodynes, I really, really don't understand. And Jonesy - can you please tell me what the Anodynes added to the Novakids with the "merger"? The earliest sources I read of the Novakids had them..well..-exactly- the way they are now with not one iota out of place. I wouldn't call that a merger.

6. Well, that itself is subjective. I personally prefer the Western theme over the Greek one (along with how it was explained lore-wise), with all due respect to Suika. Cowboys definitely are not as lore-enriching as an ancient themed civilization, but I like the aesthetic of "space cowboys" for the race. Some people will prefer one or the other. The way you put it made it sound like the Western idea was just a pile of shit, and quite frankly as an artist and a fan of the Nova Kid's initial concept myself, that was pretty insulting. >.>

As for the merger, admittedly Chucklefish did a pretty bad job "merging" the two ideas together. As it stands now, Anodynes don't really have anything that shows that they were integrated with the Nova Kids. They're pretty much 100% Western on a glance. Even Bietol did a better job with his custom Nova Kid+ mod by adding the rocks that covered an Anodyne's body into the Nova Kids'. On the other hand, the Nova Kids in the game literally were just added in. They're the barest race at the moment, with no furniture, towns, NPCs, or even logbooks. Nothing at all. The Anodynes could definitely be integrated in some form there in the future, should Chucklefish still be keeping some of the Greece aesthetic.

Airling and Jonesy like this.
  7. MorpheusOmikron

*: Honestly, to me, that's what it feels like. The idea, the theme, the awesomeness of an energy-based species mixed with dirty, survivalist culture..just..the themes don't mesh. It feels bad, man, and offends my taste as an artist and as a gamer.

But then again, people like McDonalds and god knows what else or they'd be out of business. Hopefully, if another race is added, Chucklefish will try to use a semblance of class. That's all I have to say. Sorry that my opinion isn't positive.

But seeing as this is the Anodyne thread, I still do have a -wildly- positive opinion about them - and encourage their creator, or any modders who could get in contact with them - to make a mod for them. Absolutely amazing idea, I loved it. :)

8. Nimja

Nimja Pangalactic Porcupine

Morpheus, remember to watch Firefly ;) - The Novakids will immediately appear more alluring.

And while I definitely love the aesthetics of Ancient Greek mythology/design, I'm not sure how well it would work as a spaceship. Also, the Anodyne aren't wearing togas, are they?

9. GawainSolaris

GawainSolaris Aquatic Astronaut

I just wanna say that you seem really pretentious and entitled. And now to move on cause I'm not saying you are those things, just that what your saying makes it seem that way. its possible that being with the Novakids opinion on the uselessness of writing down history, its possible that the ancient Novakids were like the Anodynes, but as they continued to move on and forget about old ways they started changing into the old west theme. I dont see how Ancient Greek fits with mythical star people any better. Personally this piece of artwork is what made the Novakid Concept seem so amazing to me. Also theres already one ancient civilization themed race with the Avians, I dont think we need two. Though I will say the mineral deposits is definately something that needs to be re introduced to their characters.. while not for everyone, it makes them look less plain underneath their clothes xD[​IMG]

Spazicle12 likes this.
  10. Deegan

Deegan Master Chief

I give this 1000000000000000000/10

11. Darkwhip

Darkwhip Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would love to see some head variations and the clothes you mentioned, really. I think Novakids are Less-good ripped-off of the Anodyns. The fact that they live in the Greek Era and praise some gods is quit interesting. So much Roleplay to imagine :eek:

I would really appreciate, honestly.

12. Kenmendor512

Kenmendor512 Void-Bound Voyager

Apparently, these helped inspire the Novakids.

13. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

As the wiki page points out and links to, and Kenmendor512 said.. The Novakid were inspired by the Anodynes; the creators of each were both credited for their parts in conceptualizing the Novakid race. I think Chucklefish liked the Novakid version a bit better, so that's what we got.

14. Darkwhip

Darkwhip Subatomic Cosmonaut

I already knew that, I was asking him to give more details of the Anodyns.

15. PabloElPuas

PabloElPuas Pangalactic Porcupine

This interesting race

16. Omnilock

Omnilock Void-Bound Voyager

^ Someone should make this race (Which yes, I know was originally a design for the new race, which ended up going to bietols, nova kids) A mod just to please everyone who ended up disliking the nova kids, with maybe new weapons, armors, and ship ?

Thismuth and Sawfist like this.
  17. bowo100

bowo100 Void-Bound Voyager

TIY MAKE THIS NOW

18. PufferPig

PufferPig Subatomic Cosmonaut

Awesome. Why isn't there a mod for this?

19. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

how do you call the evil version of a Anodyne?

Cathodyne.

20. OctoSHarkTasaurus

OctoSHarkTasaurus Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a novakid character who I identify as an Anodyne, he has no brand and is based of this amazing race. I always preferred the idealistic greek style of the Anodynes. As such my novakid character uses vanity armour from the Orcana mod, an atlantean civilization. He's the last mortal Anodyne, he wanders the stars, in search of a home, alas... Gas giants aren't usable in starbound. His name is Vega, the loneliest star. When paired with the Novaskin mod, you can really bring the Anodynes to life.