Wyrd Order of Furries, ACT III

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by Jonesy, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't think you started it, it was sort of already happening as soon as it changed.

I think the only thing wrong with the new one is the pose. It just, I dunno, gives off the wrong idea I guess.

2. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

You started... What?

3. Khuur

Khuur Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes I am also confused. Please explain.

4. Reddit logo is called 'snoo'. Most subreddits use a variation of snoo modified to fit the theme of the subreddit as their logo.

The 'snoo' on the furry subreddit was changed recently, and people don't like the new one.

5. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

They're going straight into a new snoo, apparently.

And half the users are suggesting they donate the current one to /r/yiff.

Alxetora and Jonesy like this.
  6. Terwin94

Terwin94 Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep basically. I still feel bad since I was the first person to bring it up and it just turned into a huge feces blizzard.

7. Tleno

Tleno Spaceman Spiff

That's what you achieve when you git gud, comrade!

Oh come on guys, I'm sure it's not THAT ba-- OH MY GOD KILL IT WITH FIRE, PROMETHEUM FIRE! PURGE THIS HERESY!

EDIT: Just now I realized this mean r/furry/ is a bazillion times more drama-filled place than 8chan's /furry/. Hell, they had minimal drama over the fact the character as it is might be a massive shota bait, and you guys are having your own dramagate over lewdness! Oh well, chans 9002 - leddit 0!
    Oh and have some Nate!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Marxon, Jonesy and Intrebute like this.
  8. Phlosioneer

Phlosioneer Pangalactic Porcupine

The difference is, r/furry should be appropriate for <18 viewers AND have good PR as the public face of the furry fandom on reddit, and simply 8chan doesn't care.

Tleno and Intrebute like this.
  9. Honestly I've hung around there a little and I don't think it's that interesting. Half the threads seem to be about people 'coming out' as furries, which I don't even understand as a thing.

Khuur and Phlosioneer like this.
  10. Phlosioneer

Coming out as furry is a thing if you have a local cultural stigma towards being furry, OR a perceived stigma of the same. E.g. I didn't come out as a furry at home, because where I live is primarily rednecks. That kind of thing would have alienated me from whatever community I had and invited bullying in all likelihood, not for being furry per se, but more for being different. So I waited until college, where that kind of thing isn't going to happen.

11. Marianne Asteri

Marianne Asteri Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been gone awhile. I see new people.
    While I was gone, I got into EVE Online and then Elite: Dangerous. Those games taught me that in space, the only thing you can trust is explosions.

So hello, new people and old people. I'm back just in time for the new update. Here's to many more explosions.

12. Khuur

I don't actually understand why there is a furry culture in the first place. What should make it more special than any of the other things I enjoy or find interesting but do not identify by?

Also Segolia I love your avatar. I . . . read Prequel slower than it is written, and that is a major achievement.

13. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Probably because it's "weird" and "different" enough than most things that people shun it, I guess.
    It's a fandom, really, one about anthropomorphized animals of varying degrees of anthropomorphism. Some people find that really fucking weird for whatever reason, and therefore it's a specific group of people, a fandom, culture, what have you.
    Everything has a fandom, really.
    i have no idea where i was going with this i kinda just repeated the same thing over and over

14. Khuur

So is it fandoms that create a source of identify which is rallied around? Or collective discrimination / social whatever?

Phlosioneer likes this.
  15. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

:shurg:
    I dunno.
    Fandoms usually come about when a bunch of people like something (something which others don't like/don't know about usually) and then it becomes its own cancerous growth of sorts i guess.
    People don't find x weird, but they find fans of x weird because of how much they like it.

Phlosioneer likes this.
  16. Phlosioneer

The idea is that all fandoms revolve around something - they have some "source material" that they share in common. Star trek fandom, star wars fandom, lord of the rings fandom. These communities invariably create a culture around them, based on the kind of people that like the source material and the material itself.

The furry fandom is the only one without source material - so we create our own. Fursonas, original characters, art, role play, all becomes our source material. A giant mass of constantly changing stuff. This creates a massive drive to get involved in the community to leave your own mark, more so than other fandoms, because the source material is malleable. And in turn, this creates a massive community culture.

And then things grow even more when the initial culture becomes one of acceptance and tolerance - because it starts attracting those who would not normally be in the fandom, but instead are seeking refuge in a community that accepts them.

As a result, just as the star wars fandom attracts nerds like a magnet, so too does the furry fandom attract artists, sexual deviants, and misunderstood people. The proportion of non-hetersexual people in the furry fandom is through the roof, and the proportion of people with mental issues like Aspergers and autism are also several times more than in the average population.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Intrebute likes this.
  17. Khuur

And then that culture spawns subcultures due to partially separated populations by meeting place, forum, or environment, which may have different norms and goals, leading to situations like the one described above?

Drama is never fun. I stay away from the stuff.

Phlosioneer likes this.
  18. Phlosioneer

Yuuuup. Basically.

19. Mystic_Wulf

Mystic_Wulf Existential Complex

Now school is getting confusing.

So I recently learned a kid at my school has the same name as me!
    My name is Nolan not a very common name, so when people are shouting my name, it's getting confusing as all hell!

Marxon, Jonesy and Phlosioneer like this.
  20. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

At least it isn't like here.
    There are very few people in the dual enrollment program here, maybe 50 kids for second and first year total. Two of them are named Hannah Smith.
    Spelled the same way
    Same last names
    The only thing different is their middle name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.