1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riku Caboose

Riku Caboose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

sorry, I couldnt find the answers < : 3 apologies for adding to it

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Acidtripper98

Acidtripper98 Big Damn Hero

Probably a bit of a stupid question, but i'm just gonna ask anways, is this mod still being updated or has it just been kept at the level that its on now? Really not sure, so may as well ask. I really hope its still going because i love the mod and how much its developed, and i really hope it can be a finished, polished, fully working mod!

3. Silverotter

Silverotter Weight of the Sky

Please do attempt to read recent posts before asking.

4. Acidtripper98

Acidtripper98 Big Damn Hero

I honestly read it right after posting...kind of forgot that there were more posts. Its 1:30 in the morning, my brain does not function well with lack of sleep

5. Silverotter

Thank you.

6. Icowom

Icowom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im wonderinf if the Avali mouth structure and voicebox allows them to speak English, or any other of the races langauges fluently, or if they need some form of translator to be even coherent.

Am roleplaying an Avali who serves as the Captain of a ragtag group spread across all the races~

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Avali have a number of ways to autonomously translate; their neural augmentation can auto translate in real time what they're hearing if the language is known to them, while external tools like remote earpieces, protocol drones, directed sound devices etc can provide real-time translation to other parties.

As for directly speaking English, while it doesn't immediately seem like they should; birds don't even have lips or teeth, and yet they can make a pretty good show of speaking English (even if it's just mimicry), which suggests that the ability to speak is most closely linked to the brains ability to handle speech and complex sound production, rather than having the optimum organs to make the noise.

tl;dr - They probably could speak English if they spent the time to learn it.

OmegaMinion and Intrebute like this.
  8. Icowom

Didn't have much doubt about their ability to understand languages, as you've said yourself, the Nexus can privide real-time translations mentally.

But the accommodations for audio-verbal hardware is good to know, and especially the possibility that they can speak these languages on their own.

Thanks for clarifying Ryu :3

On another note, does the latest version of the mod change the starter ship? I recently made a new Avali char, but they started out with a rather Avian looking ship, yellow with diagonal angles. Is this supposed to be? Or is there something that else that could be everything it? I don't have any ship mods installed even.

9. Icowom

Hmm, looking back through the last few pages, I noticed you seem to be removing the AR 4 rifle and the PD 4 pistol from the works?

That's a shame, I loved the rifleman/ designated marksman feel I got with the rifle, and the pistol worked nicely with a melee weapon/ flashlight combo. Any chance of keeping them in the update anyway? The other weapons to be added would really expand upon it nonetheless

10. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Fairly new to the Avali in general, but I think for parity it would be best to generally follow how the vanilla races work, i.e. one path for gunners, one for melee, one for specials. IMO the best thing for the Manipulator route would be to give them all the special ammo types that have been discussed through the Staffs, rather than just have Staffs being absurdly OP gun replacements.

On another note entirely, I decided to play an Avali in a Pathfinder game and made a PF Racial writeup with a whole lot of adaptations. Unfortunately had to hack off 99% of the Nexus and tech stuff, but I was able to salvage most of culture by extending the nomad-ism to engulf the other stuff. Also, couldn't really work in the unique biology unless I made them Outsiders(type of creature from other Planes), so they are now normal water/oxygen/etc based creatures. Comments, criticisms and suggestions welcome on the GDoc!

11. Strazyplus

Strazyplus Big Damn Hero

Do I see a damaged Avali ship before me?

conanthealien likes this.
  12. pixlepug

pixlepug Void-Bound Voyager

Hay love the mod but im having an issue with weapon crafting. i can craft guns and what not but there are no recipes for swords in the weapon crafter. halp pls

13. Silverotter

It should be the other way around... You can't craft guns. Do the recipes involve data chits? If so, you're looking in the wrong place.

14. Garan

Garan Void-Bound Voyager

Weapon Crafter is, if I remember correctly, there to upgrade some Avali Gun using data chips. You still have to use the good old anvil to craft sword, spear, hammer, etc.

15. pixlepug

pixlepug Void-Bound Voyager

im in the weapon crafter and yes they all involve data chips. no swords[DOUBLEPOST=1422000423][/DOUBLEPOST]this is whats in my weapons crafter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  16. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Yes, you're looking in the wrong table. You craft weapons at the normal table (Anvil/Metalwork station), not at the Weapon table. The Weapon table was intended to apply upgrades to guns you found.

Csonic6 likes this.
  17. Cerothus

Cerothus Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having a problem with the mod, I've used it before without any trouble but I recently returned to the stable build after playing with nightly for a while. I'm using Kawa's Xbawks mod but for some reason the Avali race doesn't even show up when I create a new character. The game doesn't crash, or pop up with an error, the Avali are simply not there as if I never added the mod to begin with.
    I really have no idea what is wrong, the same thing happens with the Kineptic race mod but for some reason the Kalbian race shows up just fine and can be played without issue.

I've checked the Starbound.log and these errors show up, I don't know whether they're causing the problem or not, nor do I know how to fix them.
    Code:
    Error: Failed to process dungeon file /dungeons/avali/avalicamp/avaliencounter.dungeon : MapException: Key 'campcanvas' not found in Map::get()
      MaterialDatabase::materialId(String)
      Dungeon::BackBrush::BackBrush(Variant, DungeonDefinition*)
      Dungeon::Brush::parse(Variant, DungeonDefinition*)
      Dungeon::readBrushes(Variant, DungeonDefinition*)
      Dungeon::Tile::Tile(Map<String, Variant, unordered_map<String, Variant, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, Variant> > > >, DungeonDefinition*)
      DungeonDefinition::DungeonDefinition(Map<String, Variant, unordered_map<String, Variant, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, Variant> > > >, String)
      DungeonDefinitions::load()
      Root::reload()
      _Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication::preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)
      ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)
      BaseThreadInitThunk
      RtlInitializeExceptionChain

Error: Failed to process dungeon file /dungeons/microdungeons/randomencounter/avian/avianencounter.dungeon : MapException: Key 'campcanvas' not found in Map::get()
      Dungeon::Tile::Tile(Map<String, Variant, unordered_map<String, Variant, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, Variant> > > >, DungeonDefinition*)
      DungeonDefinition::DungeonDefinition(Map<String, Variant, unordered_map<String, Variant, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, Variant> > > >, String)
      _Function_handler<void (), _Bind<ClientApplication::preSplashInitialization()::{lambda()#1} ()> >::(_Any_data)
      BaseThreadInitThunk

Error: Failed to process dungeon file /dungeons/microdungeons/randomencounter/floran/floranencounter.dungeon : MapException: Key 'campcanvas' not found in Map::get()
      BaseThreadInitThunk

Error: Failed to process dungeon file /dungeons/microdungeons/randomencounter/generic/randomencounter.dungeon : MapException: Key 'campcanvas' not found in Map::get()
      BaseThreadInitThunk

18. austinlb90

austinlb90 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was wondering if somebody would make some Avali art for me, so i could use it as a profile pic with your and the mod creator's permission. my description may sound like a four year old wrote it. i want the head only and the body is green, and the the line color is white, and can he be wearing a helmet with a visor that is glass that looks like the avian ship ruby that is transparent and is triangular, with lines leading to it the same color, i don't care how the rest of the helmet looks as long as it's cool. oh one more thing don't do the Avali toothy smile.

19. Silverotter

Ryuujin is totally okay with art and it's use as avatars. You don't need to ask.

I think this is also the wrong place to ask.

20. Csonic6

Csonic6 Subatomic Cosmonaut

We mainly discuss the mod here, either ask on the Nexus Post or look through places like Deviantart and ask some one there.

Stable this WEEK! cant wait to play without the bugs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.