1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Upbeat Giraffe Disappointments

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ethanciavo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thought I should notify you that a weapon that does 200 dps, in the titanium tier, is not as good as you seem to think it is.Get a better weapon.

I should also notify that the current consensus now for most players, is that dread-wing is, in fact .. very easy..too easy.

Boss fights are supposed to require thinking, which means you should do that.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Serenity and Heartstrings like this.
  2. PackShrine

PackShrine Subatomic Cosmonaut

I had no problem with dreadwing, albeit I did it with a friend the first time. I'm novakid and the guns they make at that tier one shot penguins, you melee tanks(guns don't work, regret that mistake lol), and shoot/jump to attack the boss. Once he started slamming it was over fast.

Side note: Shields are amazing now, blocks all projectiles and has health, love this addition. If you really want, double shield during those projectile heavy parts.

I love this update, they fixed a lot and made transitions between tiers not as bad because you have plenty to do. My friend did lose his save however and if you aren't trying to explore and mine it gets to be a pain. Don't dig to dig, dig to explore, there are plenty of cool things down below. And learn what planets are good for what materials.

Darklight and Heartstrings like this.
  3. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

My biggest problem right now is having to dig super deep to find copper ores because a tutorial quest requires it. Why not just keep copper with some iron deposits at the surface? I see tons of coal and a lot of trees that only give me a bit of wood and I am so not looking forward to having to do super deep to get core fragments. It took me a long ass time to find copper ores because I ran low on torches. Also, please make the MM dig out a 4x4 square when starting out, I like it's new speed, but ugh, really, the small starting size kills it.

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You would want one of the main upgrades handed to you on a silver platter for free at the start of the game? Yeah that's not happening

5. Jellypuff

Jellypuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

So much this.
    I just was on a rather flat tropical planet, full of mobs having some kind of "blowing-attack" which simply pushed you pack a little. Pretty pointless.

So, how about, the monster-generation-RNG thingy excludes certain attacks for certain biomes, while making some more common in some biomes.
    For example, the "blowing attack", i've mentioned should be more common on dead planets with lots of chasm and underground on planets with medium/high difficulty.

Astethics should also matter, like the rainbow-barf attack some monsters can pull off should not be distributed to mobs on desert planets or dead lifeless planets, but would fit a whacky alien planet perfectly, therefore, mobs having this attack should be more common on those.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Serenity and Madzai like this.
  6. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Actually given the the rainbow wood trees show up on desert planets it does work

Serenity likes this.
  7. Jellypuff

Jellypuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

I never saw those.
    Looks like you just got me motivated to start SB to seek those out.

I shall continue my exploration to seek adventures at this instant! To the floracopter! (It's actually just a propeller-hat, but let him have some fun, he had a rough day)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Serenity likes this.
  8. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Shall I go into detail how I just got my ass handed to me on a desert planet by a bandit NPC just to the right of the warp down point who, even though I had full iron armor and that iron hammer, proceeded to kill me in seconds flat because of the insane damage his smg was putting out? Oh oh, I know! How about the rather weird-ass quests right? Go fetch some lady some coffee and then when you return, she tells you to go make a mug out of sand on a desert planet, because we sure as hell can't just update the player with 'better head to a desert planet for some sand to make a mug'. No, gotta grab coffee from a forest biome, warp back up, warp to the gate, travel to the outpost, talk to the lady, warp back to the original outpost, then back to your ship, then to a desert planet that's inhabited by bandits just to the right of the warp down point and also has a monster somewhat to the left who breathes fucking fire despite being a blue four-legged creature with no outward signs of it being able to spit out fire faster than someone playing Super Mario World with a fire flower power up and a turbo controller. Oh, and the forest biome that has the coffee also has a purple four legged created with a chainsaw-looking beak that shoots out lightning, despite looking like it would be better suited to a kind of ramming attack.

CF has a long way to go for balancing the game, and I hope they work it out before it hits the Stable release, but hey, you're darklight, I shouldn't be surprised at how you respond at this point.

Nimeni, Aeon, TheNameless and 2 others like this.
  9. PackShrine

First, calm down.

Second, welcome to starbound, where anything can come out of a randomly generated monster mouth and bandits jack you up with insane guns you can't find. But, be happy, gun drop rates are up, so kill those dirty bandits and you might get a crazy op gun.

Look it's the unstable, the damage system is a little wonky, check the Dec 19th post, they admit it.

On those quests, I'm so happy they gave us a little task that made us travel and explore, I feel not many people look for the small stuff, though the gate in the outpost does suck for traveling.

Serenity and Heartstrings like this.
  10. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

It's darklight, the dude just gets on my nerves with his remarks, I'm honestly shocked I even bothered responding to him.

I don't mind exploring, trust me, I love it, so long as it's somewhat meaningful. The problem is being forced to do all the warping and talking to what amounts to being given another simple, meaningless quest, it just brings back bad memories from The Old Republic with some of the quests that just had you travel to a few places where you couldn't be attacked and go through multiple loading screens for what amounted to a crappy reward (admittedly, TOR's loading times being so bad was what made those so tedious).

As for monster parts and randomly generated attacks, sorry, I don't buy that. Tiy mentioned how body parts would indicate the kind of attack that would be used. If I want to see an enemy attacking me by breathing lightning bolts at me, I want there to be a body part on it's head that looks like a metal rabbit ears with electricity traveling up and down it, and if something breathes fire at me, I want to see fire coming out of it's mouth in puffs when it's not hostile. I don't mind randomly generated enemies, but make it so the attacks are tied to specific body parts that give away what the enemy is capable of. If an enemy can throw fireballs at me in rapid succession, show it's hands covered in fire with harmless embers falling to the ground.

It's like they need to create more parts that a template draws from to avoid the return of the demon birds.

11. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Playing Unstable here, and there was one planet with tons of deep ravines I guess you could say. Just everywhere ya go, deep trenches in the planet. Those blowing moves would have been irritating there, I killed myself once just by accidentally falling while I had no energy left (Otherwise I had that Bouncy tech equipped).

But the monsters are dumb and don't really feel special in the slightest. Good monster mechanics can make or break a game and really I think they damage Starbound a great deal. They make worlds feel much more shallow.

Having monsters spawning with relevant physical build, coloration, and abilities tailored to the biome it's in heavily reinforces the feeling of substance that planet gives.

They should go all out and have a number of different biome specific creature generation pools. It really wouldn't be all that different, just more of the same work. Some of which could be broken up from existing resources but a fair amount of new content would probably have to be made, not to mention getting the specific pools to spawn in the specific biomes.

Heartstrings and Zuvaii like this.
  12. PackShrine

I see your point on the body parts issue, don't know how that works code wise, I will say I'm impressed that most ocean biome enemies spew fish. I liked that the biome affected it. Hopefully that's their plan with this stuff.

On the quest side, I see your point. The gate travel was the only annoying part for me about that quest. The reward was worth it for it, but you might be disappointing with a few future quests that give small items with minimal use. I honestly think they need an indicator for what is a side quest and what is a meaningful reward quest. I don't mind getting simple toys as a reward but I want to know I'm spending my time towards one first.

Serenity likes this.
  13. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

1) What you're talking about doesn't seem too bad to me. Although it seems like you're talking more about sensetivity than controls. The controls themselves frankly suck. Which is why we need keybinds, because someone out there might actually like them.
    I definitely agree to sprinting, though there would need to be some way to make energy dash worth it if it were added.

2) I quite like the art style. My main problem with Terraria is that it's too bright--everything seems cartoonish and painted. In fact, the art style is one of the reasons I bought the game. Although if this game had better texture pack support, this wouldn't be a problem for anyone.

3) Combat still isn't the best. Blocking was a great move, but it only works with broadswords and shields... making other weapons less useful in comparison. Shields are incredibly useful, but the ability to craft them would also be much appreciated. Guns are still a bit unbalanced, and the new biome limitation pretty much gets rid of the usefulness of most biome-specific weapons as soon as you've progressed beyond that point. I've also yet to find a sword better than my impervium one. As for staves, they're essentially useless--the idea is completely unrefined. They can deal decent damage, but don't have an amount displayed in the description. They tend to be too slow to use effectively, and with the lowered health, this could be deadly. Additionally, there's not much choice in crafting them; you have a choice of six (seven if you count the orb) staves per tier. From what I can tell, the crafting of these staves isn't race-specific at all; they just feel limited and frankly pointless.

4)
    Copper Tier:
    It's okay, but it would be better IMO if copper were a bit easier to find. @Darklight claims this would be handing the first upgrade on a silver plate, and I say: why not? It's much the same as the old stone pickaxe: the player uses the painfully slow matter manipulator until they have the copper to upgrade it. The copper shouldn't require too much digging to get. It is, after all, the very first metal you should find. Asking the player to find core fragments as soon as they began the game seemed a bit odd to me, but can be amended

Iron Tier:
    You're absolutely right about this tier. While I wouldn't argue that the crafting tables are the same, I feel there needs to be a little something more needs to be added to mining at this point. Especially considering iron is used in steel production, and thus, two tiers use iron.

Steel Tier:
    Steel was ok, considering you should have iron left over to skip the mining in it. It was a good time to introduce missions.
    I feel the mining facility was well-done. The hidden stuff was nice, and though the final three enemies were a bit OP (unless you have guns), all in all it was good. Although I agree that the area was a bit large fo the very first mission, this isn't really a problem. The reward wasn't too great, true, but you were really just doing it for personal profit.

Titanium Tier:
    Mining could definitely be improved at this point. Finding underground dungeons was interesting, though. I'm not really sure how mining can be improved (let's face it, mining is always pretty boring), but getting a miniature version of one of those mining rigs from the last mission might be fun. Or at least a companion/drilling drone to help you out.
    Dreadwing was pretty difficult... unless you have a shield. If you have a shield, a sword, and a gun, he can quite easily be taken out. This ties into my earlier points about other weapons seeming underpowered in comparison to the shield. If you think he's hard, try Shockhopper--much worse! Harder to block, harder to dodge, and harder to kill.

I feel that tiers beyond the titanium tier had enemies who were a slight bit stronger than they should have been. I's really just my personal preference, though, that they get tweak a little to be easier with equipment a tier lower than the one you're on.
    Having a follower in the third mission was nice, but as I said, Shockhopper definitely needs rebalancing.

And to close: it's a bit confusing, sure, but the January update is not 1.0. While some devs have mentioned "in time for 1.0" on twitter, and Tiy had his huge post about finishing up for 1.0, the next update will not be this. Steam users learned this firsthand when Omni mistakenly told us that this update would be 1.0, then Molly came and assured us otherwise. A bit worrying that one of the devs didn't know this, but to be fair, he doesn't work at the London office. Point is, if people tell you the next update is 1.0, they are misinformed; I'm not even sure Tiy knows when 1.0 is, but I wouldn't trust anyone's word if they say such-and-such date/month/update will be 1.0 until such-and-such date/month/update is 1.0. If that makes sense.

14. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

\
    Uhhhh what? I was talking about your unreasonable desire to have a 4x4 matter manipulator from the start and you go on a rant about completely different things that are still utterly subjective at best.

Serenity, Lintton and Heartstrings like this.
  15. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

A ton of people love Starbound's aesthetic. If the art does not appeal to you then you are playing the wrong game. I've never heard someone complain about the controls, either. The only time I have a problem with it is with the hotbar and when some of the dungeon traps are too tight, making it nearly impossible to get through them without damage.

Darklight and Heartstrings like this.
  16. Zanaria

Zanaria Aquatic Astronaut

I actually agree with the original poster about Dreadwing, I was doing relatively well at first, had to use a lot of bandages though, but the problem there is switching back and forth between bandages and weapons, it's hard to do that and dodge fire at the same time. But when he took off and called the reinforcements I couldn't deal with him and them at the same time. I had managed to find a spot where I could stand and he couldn't crush me when he came down, but that quickly filled in with enemies he called.

Also I get that the stronger the gun the more energy it takes, but why is it that going from one tier to the next for both armor and guns, seems to take the same amount of energy off? Percentage wise that is, because titanium armor boosted my energy a bit, and yet my gun which only went up a dozen or so energy, still only gets 4 shots max before I am out of energy.

17. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Some feedback for your feedback.

1. I havent noticed this phenoma, for me the controls seems adequately precise and instantly responsive. Perhaps its only a issue with your pc build?

On the other hand, having a small accelaration in the begining might improve movement regardless and the devs should at least consider it. If it ends up feeling wrong they could allways revert it later. (Yes i realise that could be considered unnecessary work for the devs, but honestly, i think testing stuff isent unnecessary even if they have to trow it all out later).

2. I wouldn't mind more vibrant colors. But perhaps not on every world everywhere. (A jungle might be suited to be more vibrant, but every world wont).

3. I highly disagree about monsters being more defensive. In my humble opinion they might be too defensive allredy (the delay between moves is borderline to long).

4. About mining: Upgrade your matter manipulator. Makes mining aloot easier (but they might want to point out how to get said upgrades ingame, since you wouldent know that upgrading your ship gives you mm upgrades or that doing all the misc mission on the outpost lets you upgrade the ship).

Boss: I dont mind a hard boss, but your right that its a rather large difficulty spike. If they wish to keep him at the current difficulty (they have hardly balanced it), they might want to make a mission leading up to the boss that adjusts you to the difficulty before the fight.

Where did you get this? They have hardly hade much time to balance it. They have just been adding features, reworking system (like the tile system and combat system), adding items and stuff right up to the release of the winter update.

They havent hade any time balancing it. Nor should they (in my humble opinion) spend much time on balance while its still this early in development (they havent even finished 1 progression path of a total 3 planned yet).

18. Ariskelis

Ariskelis Ketchup Robot

I personally think the controls are only a bit floaty when you're like, going over a cliff, or something. I always misjudge falls when I'm spelunking in vertical caves because the character just kinda floats off the edge and goes too far, even with just a tap. I've kinda gotten used to it, though.

19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Do you use the walk button? It should prevent said issue if you just want to drop down a ledge.

20. AgentMarcx

AgentMarcx Aquatic Astronaut

My issue with Starbound is how generic it is and how useless a lot of stuff is. Sure, every world has unique LOOKING enemies, but they're all boring. I'm not hunting a specific enemy for drops, or using a different weapon to combat them. You get the occasional big mob who is just a normal mob but with more HP and damage. Some mobs are passive for whatever reason. Whoopie. You don't even have the fun of fighting hordes since you'll typically only see one or two mobs on screen at a time.

The infinite worlds in general are very uninteresting. Like the monsters, they're visually cool, but serve no real purpose outside of a few quests that ask you to go one of these planets for something. All you're getting is a variety of dirt and some new styled furniture.

I get that the game isn't complete yet, my biggest issue above all else is that they call this a beta. Anyone who thinks Starbound is, in its current state, a Beta is kidding themselves. This is clearly an Alpha. An early one at that.