A City Floating over a Gas Giant

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Musetrigger, Jun 24, 2013.

1. ddomstar

ddomstar Yeah, You!

2. crazygamer2255

crazygamer2255 Phantasmal Quasar

Bioshock anyone? also i think this would be awesome, it would also give gas giants an actual purpose

3. DrFlashbang

DrFlashbang Subatomic Cosmonaut

It could be like Cloud City in Bespin from Star Wars. Love it.

4. RULERULTAMIS

RULERULTAMIS Big Damn Hero

Gas giant with a actual use?!? That would be a first.

5. warlava50

warlava50 Subatomic Cosmonaut

MAKE A MOD!!!

6. Raug_moss

Raug_moss Space Hobo

Rather than Bespin, I think this idea is closer to Elysium in Metroid Prime 3. <-- ancient Chozo observatory, floating in high orbit, manned by sentient maintenance robots that watch over the place, kind of crumbly due to sheer age.

Created by a sect of ancient Avians who denied Kluex and instead embraced the power of SCIENCE! They created super advanced technology millennia before any other race, and have since vanished into thin air, leaving only their incredibly advanced (and likely devilishly complicated) technology behind as evidence of their existence!

^ Huh. That's something to work with. Find an artifact, get a quest to discover what the hell happened to these people (and another quest to find someone that can actually figure out how this artifact works), get cool upgrades? Could be an interesting sideplot, if nothing else.

Man. Now I want a Varia suit outfit. That would be awesome.

7. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Chances are there's a mod for it. And if not, WHY not?

8. DarithD

DarithD Pangalactic Porcupine

"Bring us the girl, and wipe away the debt"

I like the idea but how do we get up there?

9. toby109tt

toby109tt Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes good idea

10. megatiger78

megatiger78 Void-Bound Voyager

maybe a massive 4-rotor flying base.....[DOUBLEPOST=1419060021][/DOUBLEPOST]
    maybe that is what REALLY happened to the sunborn

11. TakaStoryXx

TakaStoryXx Starship Captain

gas giants right now are a waste of space in starbound, all they do is make a solar system ugly you cant even travel to them (cause they are gas ~dahhhh~) A floating city would make them way more exciting and add another adventure to the game.

STCW262 likes this.
  12. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I thought they removed gas giants in the Nightlies? I could be wrong, but that's just what I heard.

13. ShrapnelShark

ShrapnelShark Void-Bound Voyager

This sounds like a pretty great idea,and would make gas giants far more interesting.

14. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

It's a great idea for making gas giants far more amazing.

It also would be nice to have different color gas planets, since tan ones are incredibly bland to look at time and time again.

Imagine a blue gas giant in the sky when you're on a snowy moon.

Biirdy Daysleeper and Khuur like this.
  15. megatiger78

megatiger78 Void-Bound Voyager

or a bright red one over a green coloured planet

16. Feera

Feera Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really, really like the idea. More exploration? Yes, please!

17. Precise Calibre

Precise Calibre Void-Bound Voyager

18. Kalrim

Kalrim Void-Bound Voyager

This sounds real neato

19. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Contemplation. I dream of living on a gaseous planet such as this.

20. Khuur

Khuur Pangalactic Porcupine

A couple ideas for different kinds of encounters:

The highest tier gas giant installation would be the big layered city, which would function as a mini outpost of sorts. It would act as a quest hub for side quests, and have shops and various possible encounters. Better if it's semi-procedurally generated.
    Then you have the small city / personal homes for eccentric rich guys which might have a shop and a quest or two. Or you could kill everyone and claim it for yourself.
    Then there are the dungeon-like encounters: floating military / science installations (heavily defended), and abandoned cities with creepy space things and maintenance droids, and derelict stations occupied by bandits...

Biirdy Daysleeper likes this.