1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed Trojan Threat Found on "launcher.exe"

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by Bacon, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello there.

I remember i saw once one person at IRC saying anti-virus software was blocking starbound launcher.exe from start.

And now, i had the same issue, says found a threat "Trojan.Generic.12380476" on launcher.exe
    What's up?

2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

What antivirus are you using? Mine doesn't have any issues with it.

Just FYI: any "Generic" means that your antivirus thinks the file has a virus based on heuristics (pattern-matching characteristics with known threats), not that it actually contains one. This is where so many false positives come from; if the antivirus threat definition is too broad or too vague it matches everything under the sun.

3. Kaspersky did on mine, as well my sister's PC that she's trying to play unstable also flagged launcher.exe on ASC Ultimate.
    Odd for me, never saw it with false positives on my installed stuff till now.

Also another odd thing about launcher, is a Phyton related dll error, http://i.imgur.com/x8krvuJ.png

4. Dunto

Dunto Guest

5. Yes also saw some people on the nightly channel who did refer such, devs were poking the launcher a lot so something that can trigger those false positives may have been done.

6. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I hear you, but unless they come in here and post their details as well, then it's hard to get a feel for the scope of the issue (and denies more data that may help). Without knowing more details, it's hard to count those "reports" since there's no way of knowing if it was just a crap antivirus or user error or something else.

7. AVG, Microsoft Forefront Security, and Malwarebytes are returning nothing on my system(s).

Could you upload the launcher to https://www.virustotal.com/en/ just for documentation purposes? I believe the launcher is under 128 megs.

Dunto likes this.
  8. Venomy

Venomy Void-Bound Voyager

My anti-virus (FSecure) also removed 'launcher.exe'

[​IMG]

9. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

It isn't a virus, trojan, etc etc. This happens constantly. It is just godawful detection algorithms.

Virustotal almost never shows detections:
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...2963e780757d63e086fa4c3e24e3fa11b48/analysis/

There's no way to tell WHAT these applications are detecting. Could be that the app accesses the clipboard, could be the functions it uses to open a browser or launch the applications, could be an unrelated DLL.

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

To add up on his statement.
    There are 2 main types of Antivirus Scanning.

1. Pattern Scanning - generally involves a predefined set of variables it searches for (virus total and basic antivirus software ) these look up known virus files and code.
    2. Heuristic Scanning - or better interpreted as the "computer gut feeling scanning" - this type of scanning involves looking for abnormal behavior of files. This type of scanning only occurs when it is installed on the computer. Something Virus total cannot do.

Which is why you will see different results from virus total and the same scanner installed on the computer.
    ==

Suffice to say a human "gut feeling" is already an iffy method of deduction, when a computer tries to emulate it, things get weird fast.
    ==

Pattern Scanning in the end of the day is the definitive method - and has a higher accuracy rating. Though a few false positives may come.

Heuristic Scanning on the other hand is like your nosy neighbor. Generally over exaggerates about whats happening in the neighborhood. But can at times prove useful when they sit at the window all day and actually notice a criminal to call the police.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Dunto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.