1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Who has watched the new trailer?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Starbug, Dec 14, 2014.

1. ironcommando

ironcommando Void-Bound Voyager

Looks pretty good indeed =)

2. _Q_

_Q_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Still no fully functional merchants, can't sell items to merchant npc's. Navigation screen still lacking functionality, can't go back to previous screen, no planet bookmarks.
    Its getting worse every day. No hope for this game.
    Also comments under the trailer must be approved by moderator to show up, in case someone would want to voice their opinion on the 10 months of their hard work.

drakd and Madzai like this.
  3. It's an update. The game isn't done. I wouldn't be so quick to jump into turmoil crying "foul".
    Are you sure the trailer requires moderator approved comments? Is that on reddit? Everywhere else it seems to simply be open to comments. That sort of issue can be looked into.

4. hijinks

hijinks Subatomic Cosmonaut

This explains my emotions right now:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Amberes, yclatious, sansy and 2 others like this.
  5. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

Anyone else see the tech for "heat resistance"? Do you think that means resistance against fire type attacks or to hot planets? I hope it means we'll be seeing a status bar for heat just like cold in the cold planets!

Serenity and Axe Garian like this.
  6. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Left click zooms in on planet systems, right click unzooms.

7. _Q_

_Q_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Its moderated here on the main site, look at it.
    I'm happy about some things they did so far in the nightly builds, like adding heat so temperature is full and logical again, liquids manipulation, little more object for wiring, but still not as much as I would want.
    Look at the progression with farming, I would imagine growing some veggies and then selling them to get pixels and buy next tier stuff with that, now Its not possible, farming still will be useful for cooking, but buying/selling items is a basic feature for me that should be in game, before bug catching, not to mention that bug catching animation is horrible atm.
    The same with navigation screen, why I have to write down every good planet coords, or why I can't get back to previous screen?
    Again priorities are misplaced. Adding fully functioning merchants with outpost planets would be just right, so I can sell all the bad items I won't use anymore, but no, go and catch some bugs.
    So while I like some things and will play the game for a while, it won't be a very long play time, game will be dead again after a month from update.[DOUBLEPOST=1418606799][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That's one, still no planet bookmarks, just home planet, so you can mark that one planet in the whole universe, or they added some more? Maybe I missed it like that zoom:p

drakd likes this.
  8. Ah, I didn't even check the "thread" because I was busy elsewhere and had already commented here. You're right -- I'm not sure why the commenting seems to be gated. But I assure you it's not moderator controlled. I have no access to any comments "in waiting" to approve them. It might be Admin or Dev controlled. Or maybe I don't have permissions. I would bring up the subject in our Website/Forum Support area. Any other criticisms or suggestions you may have, you may want to make feedback or suggestion threads for those discussions (assuming they don't already exist) as this thread is about the trailer.

9. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I did - and I am just like WOHOOOOOOOOOO :rofl:

10. _Q_

_Q_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks. Maybe I will after the actual update hits the ground, but I know from the past that this community can't handle this kinds of things. Trailer was way to short, I expected something at least 5 minutes long.

drakd likes this.
  11. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Trailers are usually around 2 minutes or so because that's their most effective length, it's that sweet spot :p. Making it much shorter will result in the majority of people not being impressed, making it much longer will make it drag and will make people skip parts and get bored, making them less hyped as well.

In this particular case the trailer can be considered quite long.

12. _Q_

_Q_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not much new things in there for people that read the blog and test dev builds. Can't spot any surprises there, and there is much more to be seen in the daily updates. Trailer was made to rebuild the hype around the game, I will see how that worked out on steamcharts.

drakd, Exxil3d, Starbug and 1 other person like this.
  13. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Pretty much. What was there was not new if you follow the blogs and play nightly. I haven't played nightly for a while, but had heard about the quests before. Liquid MM gizmo is cool.

An animated video round of up what's they've been up to since the last update, with some nice backing music. Still say they should have left horseboob SAIL in the game; just for Chuckles.

Serenity and Jbeetle like this.
  14. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Just a trailer. Seen lots of trailers.
    Not impressed.

I personally don't feel that the trailer is deserving of the hype it's getting.
    I think the "100's of new items" is something that could have been left out of the trailer entirely, in fact, as it really doesn't relate to the rest of the update trailer; it has nothing to do with progression or basic gameplay mechanics. It's kinda just there. It certainly shouldn't have been the second point. Don't get me started on bug-catching.
    To me, the trailer made staves seem like a terrible weapon. Long chargeup for a mild effect? No thanks.
    The biomes looked good, but only the ocean biome really stood out.
    The only things I can say I was impressed by were the tech system, the UI window, and maybe the new bosses/quests.

It makes more sense to me for Chucklefish, instead of making a trailer about an update, make a completely new trailer for their storepage to show off all aspects of the game including and alongside the new ones.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
    But it does make me wonder: keybinds?

drakd, Dr. Otaku-Sensei and Madzai like this.
  15. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Come on guys, disabling comments on the trailer on the front page?

16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

With the kind of vile crap being posted on YT about it it's warranted even if it's likely a mistake on the main blog

Heartstrings and neil_v like this.
  17. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

That's not a reason to shut the entire thread down; that's what moderators and admins are for. A civil discussion of the trailer on the front page is necessary, let the Unstable holdouts talk about the upcoming features!

18. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

Just did

hype

19. Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

Cool down, it's still in Beta.
    It just might actually BE in Beta and not in Alpha as of this update.

Serenity likes this.
  20. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The trailer was fun to watch.

The youtube comments below it were disappointing.