1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

An emotional thread about your disappointments in Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sirnak, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Um, you are kinda contradicting yourself with all this. According to this and your first post, You trust every single member of a group that you've lost faith in. You are dissatisfied that they are working on things that got you attracted to the game. Unfortunately, that came from the responses and suggestions of other players and their experience with the stable beta and not everyone had a rosy experience(That's not even going into the number of times I heard "Thick and fast").

My question is this: How can they "prove you wrong" when you admit that you are unpleaseable to begin with?

2. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Indeed, Starbound has reached a point where my original expectations cannot be pleased anymore, you are correct. And I do believe that the current dev team is really competent even though I sincerely believe that they are aiming too high with an objective to "please everyone". What they can "prove me wrong" at is the feeling I have that Starbound will never feel complete (so they can "prove me wrong" by actually delivering a full game that would indeed feel like a final product even though content updates could keep coming down the line). But indeed, my initial expactations cannot be fulfilled anymore.

You are right, I am contradicting myself in all this. Such is human emotion. Have you ever continued loving an ex-girlfriend even though she cheated on you and broke your heart? Supernorn and every single member of Chucklefish care for their work, I know it. And they do as much as they can for the community. Even though that, I feel like the development cycle of Starbound took a wrong turn about 2 years ago, hence my lost of faith in the ultimate result that Starbound could be, which still doesn't mean that I don't want to be proven wrong since I've been attached to this project for so long. I am not dissatisfied that they are working on things that got me attracted to the game, I am dissatisfied that they keep working on too many things and creating a project far too vast that could potentially never feel whole, at least for me.

This feeling is personal and I don't put it in anyone else's mouth. It's my own personal disappointment and it is indeed contradictory.

For the sake of the conversation, don't you too have some kind of dissatisfaction? It doesn't have to be nothing as big as me, but you seem like a well thought man/woman that could have interesting impressions to share.

3. Kreesigh

Kreesigh Seal Broken

People talking about stuff means they care, which is better for everyone always than apathy nyes?

I work with lots of people who played Starbound at one time. One by one they dropped off, all for the same reason, the same reason as me.

I just want a stable update. I don't know if it is so much about disappointed atm, more like just kinda grinning disbelief at this point.
    Dudes.....DOOOOODES......it has been a LONG time since a stable. By any reckoning on anyone's clock. I know it is alot of work to make a game.
    People WANT to play this game and want to enjoy it, and want to support the devs. There are gonna people you can never please, and those people often suck, but it would be a huge boon to the supporters and anxious fans to get those branches together and drop a Stable, or at least give us an idea of the estimated timeline till next stable.

And one thing I have to say, with respect here~The reasoning I have heard for not giving us a more transparent timeline seems somewhat self defeating. The idea that "We(devs) are not going to give you (players) a definitive timeline because we might miss it, and then you (the players) will be upset.

There are only three roads for this to play out, bear with me here,

A) You give a date, you miss it by a reasonable bit of time. Haters gonna hate, you deliver a bit late, and hey look everything is alright!

:cool: You give a date, you miss it by a completely unreasonable amount of time, haters gonna hate, but that does not instill alot of confidence that there is any veracity to your story at all. (Which imho is what i think some people might be feeling a bit of.)

C)You give a date. Stable (Monstro (whatever its called)) Koala is out exactly on that date! We build and party and all is good.

See!

So not so much disappointment, as genuine hope. but don't pee in my pocket and tell me it's raining nyes?

Come one we believe in you![DOUBLEPOST=1416199732][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't know why there is a blue face with Sunglasses in my above post, He is cool but I didn't do that on purpose.

4. Zaelox

Zaelox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That is such a great response. It seems that most of the perceived "failures" of Starbound stem from a lack of understanding regarding the early access program. I love seeing day to day changes from the place holder systems, it is amazing to see the changes in real time. I am glad the game will continue at a pace set by you guys and that it will stay true to the vision you all have. I see a lot of negativity regarding Starbound and it is very unfortunate as you guys are rockin' it!

Anyway, I went off topic but I just wanted to let you know there are those of us out here that do understand early access and are quite excited by the whole process.[DOUBLEPOST=1416200313][/DOUBLEPOST]It is unfortunate that the normal dev cycle for a game has caused people to lose interest. I would try looking at it this way, the core systems are not yet finalized enough for a stable build... so if you got what you are asking for it would act as a sort of self fulfilling prophecy (regarding the quality of the game). This is early access after all, games takes years to develop and quite frankly the disappointment that is being felt by and echoed by far too many people out there is simply born of fallacious logic.

I am sure if we show more enthusiasm and less... (this will sound rude but I speak frankly, so please understand no offense in intended) of an entitled attitude, the experience for both player base and devs alike will be improved ten fold. Just don't lose sight of the fact that this is a game that is not yet released, it is still in heavy development and the end product will be quite amazing.

Anyway, I just wanted to give my two cents, I know I have in many other threads like this one but I feel it is important to reinforce the facts.

I wish you a good day!

P.S. I just noticed my replies are not going to the ones I intend them to, but rather to the whole thread I apologize for that I don't post often so I am still getting the hang of this haha. And it just merged my two replies hahaha oh boy, I did not mean for this to turn into a rant, sorry everyone!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I keep being reminded a bit of the story of the elephant and the blind men...

bluecollarart likes this.
  6. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

The only disappointment I have in starbound is that they are getting rid of the hunger mechanic, and that is really just a minor nitpick.

Starbound in and of itself is an amazing game still going to amazing places and I look forward to seeing that.

RatixFarrence and The | Suit like this.
  7. I've been around here following SB's development for a long time. I've supported the developers, made contributions to the community, and enjoyed being a part of it all. I even remember the first time Tiy invited me into the IRC ages ago just to chat. I fully understand how long it takes for a game to be made, and the risks of it. I'm aware the devs are normal people and make mistakes. If I were to be disappointed in anything... well, it'd probably how much things have changed since then.

This place used to be pretty active. Always something to discuss in General Discussion, despite repetition. People speculated, hyped things up, and there were even the usual negative "I want a refund! / Disappointments" threads. Now? This place is barely alive anymore, save for some forum subsections. People I used to enjoy chatting with are gone now, or have completely changed how they viewed Chucklefish as a company (negatively). Even I feel a little bitter now.

There's also the numerous controversies that rose up over the year. The whole issue with the Ammo Overhaul mod, the move to the new office, some very rude moderators who are no longer around, the long periods of silence, and many other things. Abandoned ideas like the Suggestion Voting System, Road Map, and heck, even the avatar system here is still borked. Some members of the dev team who I really respected also left as well, most without a notice of their departure. It's demotivating, really.

Most of this I've already expressed in another now locked thread, and while most of it is negative, I still want to see Starbound at least attempt to succeed from the hole it's fell into. I want to have a reason to contribute again. But for now, it's pretty much just a very long waiting game.

Hadies237, Aeon, nababoo and 9 others like this.
  8. B-b-banjo

B-b-banjo Master Chief

I don't want to be disrespectful or minimize here... But I don't understand the disappointment. I mean sure, on some level, everything is disappointing. Anticipation is always better than the thing itself. But being disappointed about a video game that's not even finished yet, or about the choices the developers make for it to be the best game they think it can be... that escapes me.

I pirated a stable version of the game earlier this year with no intention of paying for it. I was bored, wanted to see what the indie gaming scene had to offer, and I checked out Starbound. But then I played for 100's of hours. It wasn't even guilt that made me throw down the measly $15 for the game after that. It was anticipation of the full release, and not trusting some torrent uploader to get it right. I wanted the full experience, the real deal, and while I'm waiting for that, I've spent countless more hours playing the nightlies. Honestly, the fact that I'm not 100% totally sick of this game yet is a miracle.

Here's the thing about video games, and about life: It could always be better. It could always be sooner. But it is what it is and you can either enjoy it or complain about it. Either way don't say it's not worth $15, because that's just a damn lie.

It takes a lot of nerve to go on a forum for a game that's not done yet and complain to the developers that you haven't gotten as many jollies from it as you thought you would. Go bug some AAA developers and see if they care enough to respond. Hell, go bug the dev's on some games with much smaller budgets than Starbound and see if they do either.

bluecollarart and Gunslinger like this.
  9. Drunk Dragon

Drunk Dragon Seal Broken

It's probably not a great idea to declare you have illegally downloaded starbound on the official chuckle fish forums.

10. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

I think the fact that he bought it afterwards makes it alright. It's not like he was exclaiming "mwahaha, I pirated the game and enjoyed it anyway! I've pulled one over all of you!"

Serenity and The | Suit like this.
  11. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Why should i ask for refund if things were O.K. a couple of month after release? Initial version of SB was OK but onlyin context of original promises about games further development. As soon ppl started to suspect that those promises wouldn't going to be fulfilled and stared to ask for refunds, refunds closed. But that just my opinion.
    And i'm not. I honestly at loss why ppl think that in unfinished and ever-changing game one could measure fun in game hours. Not to mention those gameplay hours counter is broken.

bounding star likes this.
  12. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

The only thing i really am disappointed in is that i can not play a newer stable version.
    But i understand that working on the game and releasing stable versions over and over would slow the whole process.

I also do not share the disappointment of the op that he did not want all those new stuff in the game.
    If it were not for those new elements (crops for instance) this game would be lacking something.
    Those additions are what makes me love this game and chucklefish.
    Sure, it will drive the final release even further away, but i prefer this over a finished game with nothing to do or to explore.

I just hope we will maybe get something stable as a christmas present :halo:

But whatever you do chucklefish, as long as you keep up your really great way of communicating with your customers/fans and updating us on the progress, i will not regret my pre-purchase. I just had more fun with the stable version right now than i had with most much more expensive games.

You really do a great job, don't let you tell otherwise!

Zouleena and Jonesy like this.
  13. Drunk Dragon

Drunk Dragon Seal Broken

Yeah, I wasn't having a go at him, just advising that saying you pirated a game on that very games forum could land you in hot water with some people.

14. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

To be fair in many cases pirating a game is the only way to actually 'demo' it. It's not like they offer refunds, or steam offers refunds if you buy a game and realize the game sucks. I personally think in the case of no demos, pirating it for the purpose of trying it out, and if you like it, buying it is totally fine considering the alternative would be being stuck with a game you hate and being out the money you spent on it. I think the 'no refunds' policy that a lot of game companies have is a big factor in people pirating their stuff. *shrug*

15. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Oh, man... I feel ya.

I can't help but feel that most of the reason for the silence was this awkward decision by Chucklefish to halt stable updates for a bit and focus entirely on the nightly builds. A lot of us don't want to play a LESS stable version of Starbound, so we end up just sitting politely on our hands waiting for the next stable update. It just seems odd that they'd put it off for so long when beforehand they used to release them pretty commonly.

At least I can safely say that's the reason -I- haven't personally been around much. Although I comment on some of the interesting changes they're making when I see them (I was super excited to read about the new cave generation system).

But still, there's definitely a connection. Without us stable-build loyals playing there isn't much for us to talk about. What's to be said?

enderpony and Sirnak like this.
  16. Drunk Dragon

Drunk Dragon Seal Broken

I completely agree with you on many companies no refunds policy, especially steams. I think it is unfair to the consumer to be given an ultimatum of "if you buy this you can never unbuy it, but you don't get to try it out first" and I wasn't having a go at anyone who does pirate, we all have our own reasons for doing things.

Pingeh likes this.
  17. rhomboid

rhomboid 0118 999 881 99 9119 725... 3

^This. Making people buy a game before they know whether they'll like it or not feels way dirtier than illegally "borrowing" a game before buying it. And if someone pirates because they can't afford it, they still wouldn't buy it.

Pingeh likes this.
  18. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Pirating games is inexcusable, particularly with the large boom in gameplay videos on the internet.

Benanator likes this.
  19. Benanator

Benanator Phantasmal Quasar

I agree completely. You can watch gameplay videos on YouTube (or any other site that has them), look up information on google, and so on. There is absolutely no good reason to pirate a game. Anyone who does so is part of the cancer trying to kill gaming on the PC. I say trying because you aren't doing it by mistake, if you pirate you are purposefully hurting the PC gaming industry, and its why we are plagued by terrible console ports, because no big company wants to make a game for the PC with so many pirates hurting sales.

I'm going to stop here because this is off-topic.

As for the topic related reply- My one problem is that about a year ago when the projected release date was missed I was under the impression that the Devs thought they could not only meet that time-frame, but also that the game wouldn't be far off because of that. Here we are a year later and I am now under the impression the game is far from complete. To me that means 1.) I was lied to. or 2.) Plans changed drastically after the date was missed... To me the only acceptable answer would be I was lied to. If the game was indeed that close to being released, but constant change of plans has continuously pushed the games progress back, I would feel that I was lied to in more than one way. I am trying to regain my positive attitude towards Starbound and the Devs, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

drakd and Starbug like this.
  20. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Well, well, well. Look who came crawling back... me... *smugness*

I don't have any disappointments because, currently, there isn't anything substantial to disappoint me. When the game hits gold, I'll see what I find lacking.

I do, however, have concerns about the game's future. One such concern is difficulty. But for the exact opposite reason our Attack Kangaroo mentioned.

I don't really advocate that everything should be as hard as Dark Souls. In fact, I'd argue that many miss the point of that game by pointing to it's difficulty (the sequel is even harder, nevertheless still the lesser one of the bunch). If anything, Dark Souls for me was about struggle. You had to earn everything in that game, right down to the starting equipment. There were no freebies. The only thing you were given for nothing was the clothes on your back and a way out of your cell. And that arguably wasn't even a favour, considering what's to come thereafter

That for me is what made that game fascinating. It's also what made the early game in Starbound fascinating for me in the earlier builds. That I could do whatever, as long as I put my back into it. That's kind of lost in the latest stable build.

So in short, I don't exactly want this game to chew you up and spit you out. I do want it to reward me for my efforts appropriately. If there is no reason to go beyond the offered challenge other than to challenge myself, THEN I'll be disappointed.

But as I mentioned above, that's a concern. Once the game hits 1.0, we'll see if it's unfounded. I for one hope it is.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014