Building/Ship The Republic of San Leone

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Beatrice, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

And I will try to defend this honorary title with my life! :D

I'll try to do my best...

[​IMG]

Well, I will do my job as ever to make the forum a better place! Even if I may be absent sometimes ;)

Merci! You will like what I'm building at the moment, if you liked that staircase... :D. It's also amazing that I got the badge on the day when I changed the first post!

2. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Congratulations Beatrice! It's awesome that you're finally getting some recognition, not to mention you're the first person to get this badge according to Izzabelle, which is quite an honor! :D
    Also @Izzabelle thanks for bringing this to the dev's attention!

Beatrice likes this.
  3. Commander Benny

Commander Benny Phantasmal Quasar

YOUUUUUU are the CHAMPION, my FRIEEEEEEEND! and YOUUUUU'LLL keep on BUILDING till the end!

Feathery Dust and Beatrice like this.
  4. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Thanks again. Yeah, I'm really proud!

I fear... you're right, Sir.

[​IMG]

5. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

Congrats to Beatrice on this well deserved recognition and thanks Izzabelle for bring this to the developer's attention!

BTW, I really like the changes to the first page.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    janusforbeare and Beatrice like this.
  6. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Hey, Bea, I was curious... when you start a build, how much pre-production work (for lack of a better term) do you do? Maintaining symmetry in some of those complex designs looks pretty tough, and yet you pull it off perfectly over and over again. Do you sketch things out on graphing paper beforehand, or something?

Beatrice likes this.
  7. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for your support. Regarding the first page, I'll also try to add some RPG background when I have time, regarding the history and political system of San Leone.

Most of my work is inspired by real buildings which I know or admire. I'm taking these ideas, and sometimes, something new evolves. There are exemples when a building is a "copy"; this is by no means a real copy, because the limiting factors of Starbound and the relation between pixels and real world altitudes cause problems; so I have change it a bit. However, it still remains heavily inspired by such a model. Typical examples are the palazzi in San Leone West, which are all based on real venetian palazzi.

[​IMG]

Have a close look at the building in the middle, which is inpired by the Ca' d'oro in Venice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca'_d'Oro

In such a case the idea is pretty clear, but there are many important thoughts; especially keeping the special decor which gives such a house its soul is always a battle with the overall size. Making a house too big is also a problem, because most rooms in Starbound look best if they have a certain size (to big or too small rooms appear "untidy" or "too empty").

I mostly work by "look" and hand. No, I don't even use graphical programs or at least pen and paper, and I assure you, I also lost hours when finding a tiny error which was caused by only one block which I placed at a false position. For example: the Arena was a mess. I destroyed the Arena twice and was very close to a nervous breakdown.

I' use the block itself and "mark" them. After some months of experience, you have a certain idea how it should work. In the most cases, I draw a line of cobblestone for the ground and another line of the "fundament" of the house (cobblestone, packed dirt, soft brick, etc); my most important orientation marks are the windows (which I outline bevore I add the rest of the wall!). For example, if you look at the way how I built the cathedral, it consisted only of the main windows in the main room. I looked at the size of the hill on which it was placed, marked the middle of the hill, and began with the window in the middle; then I attached the two windowns on each side. In such way, symmetry "evolves", because you hve one point from which you begin and can copy the things you made on one side on the other. It's a bit like looking at a mirror. Sometimes I make a screenshot of one side of a large building I've done, mirror it, save it, and look at it when I'm working on the other side of the house (especially in the case of long, large buildings like the Senate, the Praetorium or the Procurazie).

The cathedral is also a good example of an "evolving" building. Originally, I only planned that main room and the dome. But after a couple of days I realized that I neded something at the left, something at the right, a second dome... and so on. It still has a certain similarity with Santa Maria della Salute, but it became something much more ambitious.

All in all, I think I have still a more "creative" approach than a "rational" one. When I founded San Leone, I clearly knew what I wanted: an area with a nice market, a great cathedral, some Palazzi, vineyards, and so on. I also had vague ideas what I wanted to do and where I wanted to place it (yes, I surrounded the planet many times and imagined more or less the size of a building, where it would be placed and what it should look like). However, sometimes... a plan may change, evolve or become something completly different. In that case, I really tend to do what I like, and I may even change symmetries, destroy all what I did, and make the building which newly came to my mind.

The experience I have with RL architecture, especially Renaissance architecture, gives me sometimes a clue how I can mantain a structure in harmony. When I looked at the Ca d'Oro, I thought "well, that window may have the size of two pixel, and this may have the size of four. I may do something similar, when I vary the decoration a bit. If this window have a size of six, this wall must have at least a size of 3..." and so on.

When I'm not sure what I've done or what I'm doing, or if I made an error, I mostly use the matter manipulator and... count. Seems primitive, but is still very effective. ;)
    So regarding pre-production... it's much more about inspiration and ideas and less about writing plans. It may sound funny, but the plans... are the buildings itself, from my point of view. :D

8. Commander Benny

Commander Benny Phantasmal Quasar

you have to be the most dedicated person I know of to this game. and uh... you never gave me the server address even though you said it was okay. could you just conversation it to me? that being said are there people who trade on the server because id like a guard army so I'm willing to trade full on impervium for steel.

Beatrice likes this.
  9. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Nah, I don't think so. There are plenty talented modders out there who may have contributed much more to this game than I ever would be able to do. Exceptionalism is a very dangerous thing ;)

I've send you a private message, but I also sent one to our admin. Still waiting for his answer.

The server is this one, by the way:

http://community.playstarbound.com/...unders-de-your-german-starbound-server.34340/

10. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

I really hate it when this happens...

DrVoodoo and Feathery Dust like this.
  11. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

The main floor of the Ziani Tower/Torre di Ziani (WIP). The Ziani Corp. is the biggest industrial complex of the republic and highly engaged in mining, arms, new technologies and construction. It's one of these big shady industries who burns down the rain forest and would enforce child labour if possible, but has a fountain in the main foyer and an artificial jungle in the bureau of the chief executive who has some exquisite hobbies like breeding carnivorous plants or collecting rare porcelaine from China.

The current boss is Virgilio Ziani III. Yes, it's still a family firm. And yes, that room has only representative functions.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  12. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

The Ziani Park. Nothing special.

[​IMG]

I have to destroy the pavillon to the left, to plant the tree again; after that, I want to rebuild the pavillon.

DrVoodoo, Seajun_, Breakout and 2 others like this.
  13. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

I like the house entwined on the left so far, Beatrice :3

EDIT:

[ Hatsya Souji's overthinking: ]
    I bet someone from Biology department brought out an experimental plant to the park, that caused the house to be nearly entwined by the plant.

EDIT #2:

The Ziani creature on the background could add some more fat at its back, and at its thighs...

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Feathery Dust and Beatrice like this.
  14. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

If you mean the sighthound, it fits operfectly to the coat of arms:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Here: the third one in the first row)

As you see, the creature is a bit thin. :D

15. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

All right, that made sense...

OFF: If we can mod the vanilla dog into a Sighthound, we'd keep one :D

Beatrice likes this.
  16. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I'm not that found of sighthounds, I prefer the Schnauzer. :D

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  17. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I'll be away for some weeks, so I'm not able to post something interesting for the next time. Here are some pictures of San Dionisio, another planet in the Serena system.

[​IMG]

San Dionisio is a moon of San Giovanni and covered with jungle; it's known for its humid climate which is similar to the rain forest. The Ziani Corp. founded a small colony which supports the famous quarries of San Dionisio; they are hidden beneath the surface and very important for the prestigious buildings in the capital and elsewhere. The white soft brick, which is known as "San Dionisio marble", has reached a good reputation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos:

Also aded to the first page.

18. Feathery Dust

I'm getting the impression of it being a mining settlement, in a good way of course :p

Beatrice and Hatsya Souji like this.
  19. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I try to do something different on each planet. In the end, I want to have a base or something unique on one of the seven planets which orbit the sun (which I call Serena). On the first sphere, we have San Leone, which is a city planet and the capital; on the second one, we have San Clemente, which is a garden and botanical research center, but also an amenity for those who want to spend a weekend. On the third one, we have San Dionisio, which is a quarry/mining planet. Sant'Alessandro on the most isolated orbit is famous for an ancient relict. There are still the spheres III, IV and VI.

I also want to build a little village, a peaceful colony shaped by farming; unfortunately, there is no planet left in the Serena system which would be good for something like that; therefore, I will found this minor colony in the Delta sector (because I don't have any Titanium in the Beta sector, in which San Leone is located and skyrails can become quite costly).

20. Feathery Dust

Is that small farming colony going to be a part of the Republic of San Leone?
    Or is it going to be a new settlement?

Beatrice likes this.