1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Weapon Tech Mod V.0.6.0.2

Adds special techs that can only be used with certain weapons.

1. Riuny

Riuny Big Damn Hero

Riuny submitted a new mod:

Weapon Tech Mod - Adds special techs that can only be used with certain weapons.

Read more about this mod...

2. Xary

Xary Big Damn Hero

interresting....

mod has potential....

3. Zizzabubu

Zizzabubu Void-Bound Voyager

That looks like a very cool mod. But how can i install it ?

4. Riuny

Riuny Big Damn Hero

After you download .zip file, extract its contents in mods folder.
    Most of the time directory of mods folder is like this.

...\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\mods

Zizzabubu likes this.
  5. Xary

Xary Big Damn Hero

Do you plan on adding support for other races, tiers and whatnot ?
    would like a Avali compatibility

6. This is a tech. There is no such thing as "Compatibility" with races for techs.

7. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since it's a pak file I can't view it myself. You don't give enough detail. How do these tech unlock exactly, presumably with the Rubium Tech Upgrade but could anyone unlock them or is it race specific for some reason (Previous comment had me worried)? Once unlocked where can you craft them? Can you find them in the world? Where are the weapons themselves found/crafted?

If you DID give this detail somewhere, sorry I failed to notice. I feel in a bit of a daze today.

nayr1229 likes this.
  8. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

So I haven't downloaded the mod, but I'm curious: is the use of the techs dependent upon having the associated weapon equipped? If so, that's some pretty cool functionality. Would it work to make a tech rely on having a specific piece of armor equipped?

9. Riuny

Riuny Big Damn Hero

Yes. New techs are only functional when you equipped certain weapon. So basically sword tech only works when you equipped newly added sword in your hand. So does the rifle. I haven't tested out the armor yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1410393512][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I might haven't emphasized its detail enough. Sorry for inconvenience, if you had any.
    Like you just guessed, recipes for the wepaons and techs are unlocked automatically when you get Rubium Tech Upgrade.
    Weapons can be crafted at metalwork station and techs can be crafted at robotic crafting table.
    And this mod is mainly about weapons and techs. So race of your character does not affect anything. Any race can use these techs and weapons, even the custom races.
    Although the visual look of held weapon in custom race might be little bit off placed if the race doesn't share same model shape with existing races.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  10. Xary

Xary Big Damn Hero

How about making thoses techs available at all tech levels and useable by all weapons but make the techs add a percentage based multiplier to edit the damage depending on the weapons's stats ?

Though I'd recommend possibly applying a damage malus to some skills that guarantee multiple hits

lets say you get a Iron tier version of the skill for swords and the iron tier version would have a 5% bonus/malus to damage depending on your used sword

and then you'd get like bronze and so on so forth and the multipliers would rise to reflect the level of tier used

High tiers would incur higher damages and lower maluses and vice versa

also here's a suggestion for spear skills

Skill 1: character changes his/her grip on the weapon and throws it like a javelin

Skill 2: character swings the spear downwards, smashing into the ground, upon impact the nearby land based ennemies are thrown up in the air

and suggestion for Hammer skills

Nova Bash: character creates a sphere of energy he/she proceeds to smash into with the hammer sending it towards wheever the cursor is pointed, the sphere explodes on impact, at higher tier levels the explosion can break terrain

Nova Crash: character creates a sphere of energy he/she proceeds to smash into with the hammer downwards, provokes a series of upwards explosions in front of the character

and when I said "racecompatibility" earlier I meant changing the shape of the sort of "ghost" doing the techs to look more like non humanoid races (like Avali)

Cipherstar likes this.
  11. Riuny

Riuny Big Damn Hero

First, I thank you for your suggestions and opinions.
    - I do plan to make tiered weapons and associated techs. But right now I plan to keep the accessibility of techs for custom added weapons only. Making it available for vanilla weapons is kind of takes away the uniqueness of the new weapons.
    - I haven't tested race verified animation in tech LUA script. But if it is possible to do that, I'll try to implement it. Cause it sounds cool to me too.
    :mwahaha:

- For the skills you suggested I'll keep them in mind. Though I gotta tell you in advance that things can be different when I actually work on spears and hammers.

12. Cipherstar

I only have two complaints but first I will also say that I do love the mod though. It'd be fantastic to see more mods like it, particularly with what you did with the sword.

1) The techs and weapons are too slow. The delay between activation and when it's actually used makes it less than satisfying.

2) The weapons are too weak. These items require a lot to craft, yet they are weaker than many other items of their tier. Having both fireflies and the shockwave from white torrent share the same cooldown is unnecessary, though Fireflies is the only ability with this mod that I think is actually around where it should be damage wise. I think everything else needs to be about doubled.

And just my own suggestions:

1) I would like to see the weapons compatible with the Dye mod, so their colors can be changed, then it would be great if you could find a way to get the color of the abilities to match it. That may be difficult or impossible though, but just dying them would be nice. (For example, my theme is black and red, the blue doesn't really match).

2) I would like to see the sword(s) have a basic attack (click) a secondary attack (Alternate click, like some weapons in-game already do), and a charged attack (Held click. For an example, look at the touhou mod that adds an arm cannon. It's attack fires a ball of light but if you hold it then fire it projects a beam). Then in doing that you can free up the F key to contain a Blink / teleport move instead, to keep you mobile. Blink is already my favorite tech I usually keep on default, so if you were to make your tech capable of blinking I'd probably always leave it on default. (especially if the blink effect itself wasn't tied solely to the sword)

3) - 3 is just me agreeing with Xary's suggestion. Those are some great ideas. If possible , it WOULD be fantastic for the techs to work with any weapon of the relevant type: (Hammer, Spear, Thrown, Sword, Gun, and Bow). As far as I can tell the techs don't really do anything, so it would be better for instead of "tech weapons" you have "Style" techs, where each tech was a style of combat rather than something specific to a weapon. But then what you could do is also make "Tech weapons" where the techs are just what I said earlier with a primary, secondary, and charged attack that could compliment the style techs but not require them.

That is probably a lot of work, but if you could pull it off and balance it across all the tiers this could be one of the best mods out there.

Unfortunately, as-is, these are underpowered and there are other techs and weapons I'd prefer to use. (Blink and that very touhou arm cannon I mentioned, switched for a sword when in melee) though I would love to use the sword simply because of how cool the ability is (Though the blue doesn't match my red theme)

13. Xary

Xary Big Damn Hero

@Cipherstar

Hang on a tick I thought the touhou mod was comatose for the last year or so ?

do you mind sending me a PM of that ?

14. Cipherstar

15. Riuny

Riuny Big Damn Hero

Riuny updated Weapon Tech Mod with a new update entry:

Minor Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

16. Riuny

Riuny Big Damn Hero

17. Soranayo

Soranayo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Havn't tested it yet, but shows potential from the videos, i'm loving the concept so far, let's just see how that goes, i suppose.

18. EpicNomming

EpicNomming Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Could you make it compatable with tabula rasa or make it not be in the .modpack form?
    Just add "mod" to the crafting stations in the recipe file, if you didn't know (I would expect you to know)

19. Riuny

Riuny Big Damn Hero

I was kind of waiting for someone to request it. I'll definitely make it compatible for tabula rasa at next update.

20. EpicNomming

EpicNomming Scruffy Nerf-Herder