1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Kineptic Race Mod 12-22-2015

Magician Space Cats

1. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I did? ... okay, hold on. I've never done this whole posting a mod thing before. I could've sworn I updated the resource.

EDIT:
    Fixed it!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Quilavabom updated Kineptic Race Mod with a new update entry:

Better pants now included

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Discohydra

Discohydra Phantasmal Quasar

Many thanks! This is a good mod, and my friends love it on my private server. I figured that would be grounds enough work on that NPC bug.

4. endertrot

endertrot Cosmic Narwhal

thanks for the better pants! also, is it just me or do decoration blocks remind anyone else of the tabula rasa?

5. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

My buddy Icebelly made the same observation while we were working on monolith 3. It wasn't intentional, but it is pretty serendipitious.

6. Nexeron

Nexeron Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this race! The idea of using gloves as a tool and weapon is awesome! I also love your artwork :)
    Hopefully we will see more of this mod in the future :D

7. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Thank you!

I've been borderline obsessed with it, to be honest: I use every chance I get to think of new objects to place, how to improve the existing spells, and attempt to balance them. I want them to use a completely different mechanic. The gloves tap into and accelerate the user's metabolism to release stored up energy in adipose tissue and blood sugar, so I originally wanted the gloves to drain hunger instead of energy--but Intrebute suggested that instead hunger should be converted to energy. I loved the idea and, drawing upon it, I'd love to make it so that whenever the user's energy bar isn't at a yet-to-be-determined fullness (or emptiness), the hunger meter will deplete to accelerate the energy regen.

Currently, updating is a bit of a hassle--with the new patch system active in the nightly, I've basically been having to keep two working copies of the mod. Where applicable, such as with most standard furniture objects, I just copy the files over to the stable version.

tl;dr: I'm actively developing the mod, and I've loving every second of it.

Icebelly likes this.
  8. Nexeron

That's a good way to balance it to other races. What also would be interesting if you could combine two offensive spells (1 spell for each glove) to give them more flexibility in battle (If this isn't or will be added already).
    Also I wonder if this race should be able to use normal weapons. Maybe not or with lower efficiency?(If this is possible to code?) As mages they shouldn't have too much use of such weapons ;)
    But it's great that you have so many ideas in mind. Now you only have to make them real ^^

Btw. would you mind if I drop some fanart here? :D

9. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I did think about those things, actually!
    Currently, there's only one dual-wield spell: Fireball lv.4. I do plan on making more, for sure. The hard part is coming up with reasonable spells--for instance, right now earth based spells are a pain to figure out how to do because, well... there's nothing stopping you from using them in mid air :rofl:
    The kineptic aren't intrinsically wizards or mages, though; magicians, perhaps, but only to the extent of what any human magician could do: prestidigitation.

I plan on making use of a scripted status effect (assuming that's a thing) and applying it to the inhandstatuseffect argument so that the effect will only affect whoever is holding the glove. This way the effect is bound to the weapon, not the race. So a kineptic can wield a hammer or a sword just like anyone else.

And by fan art... do you mean fan art of the kineptic, done by you? owo

10. Nexeron

Ah this can be hard to figure^^
    The idea with the status effects sounds good!
    And yeah, kineptic fanart :) Atleast how I would see my character :D

11. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

That would be fantastic! Please do!

12. Nexeron

13. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

I'm beside myself with excitement. This is the first fan art of the kineptic.
    Nothing I can say here can express my feelings, so I'll just let M. Bison take over.

14. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

So I finally pop up in the Kineptic thread and I see that Nexeron did some fanart of the kineptic.
    Wow that looks amazing. :DD

In other news. We've been working on some new furniture.
    One thing I'm gonna say is that there's a new bookshelf we're adding. Purely decorative, (also functions as storage) but you might see that the Kineptic are pack cats.

Lots of little knick knacks and shinies on it. :3

15. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Well, it will give an avali a run for it's money on cuteness surely...

16. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

@ZeroInfinity

This mod is pretty much everything I love about the Avali, the Felins and that other magic mod. It's fantastic, the quality is really good.

+ I really like the baggy pants. Dyed tan, they look awesomely desert-esque, and me and a friend tested Avali/Kineptic intercompatibility of clothing and, while our clothes did look silly on each other, they didn't look glitchy. There was no clipping.

Thanks; You have NO idea how long those took. I made (at the very least) an attempt to avali-compatible.

+ The balance on (at least tier 1 combat) spells is awesome. Kineptics do not get regular melee weapons, but they DO get spells. The energy costs may be a little light, but the spells are at exactly the right level of power. The basic spell is very ehhh, making a starting Kineptic more adept at movement thanks to the Pulse Jump tech than combat, which is a nice touch.

The energy cost is a pain to work with. In the nightly update there's an argument to use a set ammount of energy. But, unless people are willing to play on the nightly, there's not much I can do because I can't math.

+ You start with MAGIC MISSILE! You can shoot magic missile at the darkness!

I'm not sure which one you're referencing >w<

- The fireball doesn't light up terrain nearby, and for some reason the fire stopped lighting up nearby terrain as well. Odd, but, beta.

You mean the fireball spells, or illuminate? The current version of illuminate isn't a piercing projectile, so if it touches anything that can take damage and isn't a block, it will poof. The fireball spells work correctly for me, though...

+ Ward spell's crafting requirements are very nice, haven't gotten the chance to test it because we don't have enough iron but its crafting requirements are about T1 shield.

This is more or less just a placeholder spell until I can figure out something better--you lose energy instead of health. In other words, it's only really useful against weak things. I'll try to fix it up a bit in the future.

- Heal's crafting recipe requires 3 medkits. Short of mods, I think I've only ONCE had 3 medkits, and never more. I got lucky and found one in a nearby prison, but I don't know where I'll find two more.

I tend to have hundreds. They're most commonly found in the mineshafts. This spell drains two or three bars of hunger, so it's meant to be a sort of last-resort thing. I may throw this mechanic out once Starbound hits 1.0, since that's how long it'll be before I can use LUA scripting on weapons. I have something similar, but much better in mind.

+ Illuminate is AWESOME. It actually feels functionally different, though no less powerful, than the other races's flashlights.
    * The starting spell is two-handed, preventing you from using Illuminate with it. It's balanced like vanilla, but I do find that annoying in vanilla.

Powered up starter weapons will eventually become one-handed, I hope. Right now you can't use the right mouse button to fire a bow-type weapon, I don't think. BTW you can charge the starter weapon... not sure if you knew that.

+ Starting gear is awesome. Because of gear, Kineptics start less adept at combat and more adept at exploring. We got lucky and I found a nice, fast-attacking sword early on, but the starting weapon nicely balances out Pulse Jump.
    - Clothes selection isn't great, but beta so I understand.
    + Baggy pants are awesome!

Unfortunately, the clothes selection will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future. I am not a good spriter. I have some help from Icebelly, and Wulf_Oman made a few sprites for me (which I tweaked a little). Clothing is the single most time consuming and difficult thing to sprite. I do have another racial set included in the next update (which should be released very soon), but it's kinda... meh.

+ Race spriting is beautiful and professional. Gender dimorphism is almost non-existant, but they're cats, so it makes sense. I have been around cats all my life and I can only see dimorphism in voices by casual inspection. If you do get meows for them, it'd be a nice touch to get one from a cat that's the same gender it's going to.

The race spriting is so professional because the bodies and arms were made by RyuujinZero himself. He gave me permission to use them (though I trimed the wings :p).

+ The facial expressions are AWESOME, especially the angry face. Angry face is best face.

Now those I did sprite for the most part. They were really fun to do.

- Right now voices are more birdlike, but, again, beta.

Voices are birdlike? Huh. I thought it sounded like a quick meow that was kind of echo-y. While the Kineptic are not psychic, their language is mostly non-verbal; so I thought it would be cool for the universal translators to play back the voice with a bit of an echo to make it seem like they're communicating telepathically. Since there are no actual voices in game, the only thing I had to work with was the ouch noise.

All in all, this is an excellent start and I wholeheartedly endorse this mod.

--------------------------------

Thank you so much for checking out my Kineptic! It makes me so happy that other people are enjoying my idea, and this was a much-need pick-me-up.

17. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Quilavabom updated Kineptic Race Mod with a new update entry:

Now with 100% more clawable furniture

Read the rest of this update entry...

Icebelly likes this.
  18. A_Link_to_the_Stars

A_Link_to_the_Stars Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, Quivalabom, I absolutely LOVE this mod, and would like to help with it's creation in the onl way I can. Static-art! I'm good with drawing, (frniture in general) and I like to draw/paint the type of stuff you have, like sort of whimsical-technical furniture. If I can help, notify me, and I'll accept whatever answer you give. Thanks for your time!

19. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Hi! I really like your mod so far but I have a problem to report, after installing the new update, I tried creating a new character, and once I clicked on it so I can play it crashed my game, here's what it told me:

kineptic error 1.png
    kineptic error 2.png

Why is that? :confused:

20. Exsistentiam

Exsistentiam Pangalactic Porcupine

i wish to know this too i just downloaded this mod and i cant even try it out :V