1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali: Augments and Assortments 1.0

Provides more content for those fluffy space raptors!

1. Vena Co

Vena Co Group Account

Vena Co submitted a new mod:

Avali: Augments and Assortments - Provides more content for those fluffy space raptors!

Read more about this mod...

ElecSpider, Intrebute and RyuujinZERO like this.
  2. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

Just gonna post here so I get alerts for future reference.

3. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Hey Ice, Pro Tip: there's a magic little button/link near the top of the page that says "Watch Thread"! :p

Icebelly likes this.
  4. roguephoenix64

roguephoenix64 Title Not Found

How do I get all the cool stuff? Avali mining laser, flamethrower, burst rifle ECT
    Help!

5. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Oh, Ice, we should probably mention this in the original post.

You may need to use a mk1 and a mk4 (maybe mk2 too) ship upgrade to unlock things like the laser cutter (mk1 for that). Things like the weapons require a mk4 upgrade and are crafted at the avali weapon bench.

If I've missed something in particular that you were looking for, let me know!

6. roguephoenix64

Thank you!
    I forgot that you have to use the tech upgrades again...
    What about the mine/dungeon?

7. roguephoenix64

Can I do some constructive criticism?
    The sound on the BR4 Avalanche is out of sync, and the flamer has no sound.
    And...... that's it really.
    Is the Flatisphere sector you?
    Avali bow?

8. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Thanks for the input! I completely overlooked the sounds for the flamethrower. I'll see what I can do about that for the next release. As for the avalanche, it's a bit of a pain because of the way the bullets work... it's a rather haxy solution to a simple problem... so far as I can tell, projectiles in starbound were in tended to fire single-shot per click, resulting in either a spray of bullets or a steady stream of bullets. Burst-fire projectiles require multiple projectile types to be spawned from a source projectile. Those projectiles have different life spans, and then split into the final projectiles. This leads not only to difficulties with sound timing--actually, scratch that. I think I know how to fix it. But burst fire still posses problems because if you're moving fast enough it becomes pretty obvious that two of the bullets are not spawning from the gun's barrel, but from the initial point in space where the gun was when you clicked.

We had nothing to do with the flatisector, and I don't know what you mean by 'avali bow'.

As for the dungeons, they only appear to spawn on vanilla biome planets.
    That means if you have something like VitSotU installed, you will have to avoid all the fancy-shmancy new biomes to see it. This is also the case with the dungeons from the base avali mod.
    Avali microdungeons will be much more common than full dungeons. This is because wherever avian, floran, and generic microdungeons spawn, avali microdungeons may also spawn.

Anyway, thank you for pointing those things out; I'll look into them when I get home today.

SOME TIME LATER:
    It turns out rapidly firing shots that don't make a single quick noise don't work well, either. Basically, instead of the intended "fwoosh" noise you would expect from a flamethrower, you get an obnoxious "fwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwfwshhhhsshshshhshshhshshshshshshshshshshh". Until lua scripts are able to be written for individual items, I don't think there's any way to fix this that's worth the struggle.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  9. roguephoenix64

Thanks!
    And I meant you should make an Avali bow... it would go well with my rogue hunter scheme.

10. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

While I myself am not opposed to making a bow, one of the goals Icebelly and I set for this project from the get-go was to hold as close to Ryuujin's vision of the avali as we could. Granted, neither of us is Ryu and we can't possibly get everything perfect... but if I were to attempt to emulate him in this case, he'd say something along the lines of,

"The avali would not use a bow when they have weapons that are far more effective. Any perceived benefits of a bow such as steath are outweighed by any sort of modern handheld gun."

At this point, my ability to emulate breaks down due to my limited understanding of handheld firearms. And before you ask about a crossbow, I vaguely recall him saying they are too cumbersome and take far too long to load to be practical.

However, it's been established that weapons are among the few things avali truly consider to be their "property", so my best guess is that one particularly interested in the history of combat may outfit his minigun to look something like a crossbow, just for kicks.

I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to modding, so asking for dynamically customizable weapons is a bit beyond my current perceived horizon.

11. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I'm Ryu, can i have a go!? :p

"The avali would not use a bow when they have weapons that are far more effecti-"

I kid but the point stands the Avali have sufficient technology, that the idea of using a bow or crossbow (especially to hunt elephant or whale sized creatures like their native megafauna) would be rather silly. That's not to say such weapons do NOT exist, simply they are highly unusual hence I won't be supporting them as part of the core mod. (It'd be like requesting they add blow darts to call of duty :p)

However, that doesn't mean they couldn't be made a part of this mod, since add in mods are ideal for adding fringe material that is out of place in the core content.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    Intrebute likes this.
  12. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Of course you can have a go. Who would want to sit around listening to a cheap imitation when they could be listening to the real deal?

I think something as primitive as a crossbow could make sense as something along the lines of a tier 0 weapon. So, instead of the standard broken broadsword, they'd have a novelty crossbow in the shiplocker that would pretty much be useless once the player finds enough material to make even the most basic of weapons. Though, something like a crossbow would still be more useful than a piddly copper knife... dang logic getting in the way of keeping parity.

That might be kind fun to put together. @Icebelly, not to sound bossy here, but hurry up with those things we were working on last night--I wanna try this.

13. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Just a thought: What about a "bow" that "shoots" an energy projectile. It would only be a bow in the sense that it looks like one, and draws like one, to give the realistic feel to old-fashioned hunting enthusiasts, while being immensely more effective than a silly arrow! You could say it generates a holographic "arrow" using hard-light holograms filled with plasma, electricity, etc. and uses kinetic accelerators to forcibly eject it at relativistic speeds, removing arrow arch and allowing for a much longer range.

...Or you could also easily do what the devs did with the hidden bow-gun "The Buster", which is a gun that uses bow mechanics (i.e. charge to draw, full charge has a better projectile). Nothing says a "bow" has to look and act like a bow - it just means you use the scripted mechanics outlined by the bow javascript file: charge up the shot, with a better shot for a longer charge!

Here's a quick .gif I made showing off The Buster:
    [​IMG]
    I used this tiny little .gif recorder called "GifCam". It's phenomenally useful and easy to use, and I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone!!! Just note that some evil people have been taking his creation and cloning it as a malware spreader, so make sure you get it from the link I posted, which is directly to the creator's original website!

EDIT: Oh right, I almost forgot! I LOVE THIS MOD!!! More Avali content is never a bad thing, and always very, VERY welcome! :]

EDIT2: I meant something like this for the actual bow-looking bows:
    [​IMG]
    But of course with more of an Avali look! :]
    Also, why are spoilers banned here... I'm sure not everyone wants to have this looping ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME... *sigh*
    Also, anyone who gets this reference wins a complimentary Muli Pod sandwich! :]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. Ulithium_Dragon

I know Circuit Boards make sense in like, 95% of all mod-related crafting recipes, but modders must thing these grow on trees! Even though the Robot Boss drops I think 5 of them per kill now, it takes SO MUCH STEEL to make the Inactive Robot! And Laser Diodes are even worse - you can *maybe* get ONE if you manage to find a planet with a human research facility, but those weird combat drones that put up dome shields are so rare, so few, and so rarely drop Laser Diodes... n.nU

15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

You can craft laser diodes and circuit boards at the wiring station (titanium tier) :p

16. Ulithium_Dragon

Huh... that must have been one of those update things I didn't notice. I admit I have done little with the Wiring Station, or even just wiring in general - it seemed just such a flimsy temporary system, I wanted to wait for it to get overhauled until i really started messing around with it (and it looks like the upcoming meta update will at least add *some* functionality to it - toggling lights. I hope they do more, too!).

...But no comment on my main post? Just the blurb about crafting requirements? :<

17. roguephoenix64

I won't ask about a crossbow, I don't really like them...
    But I like Ulithium's idea about energy bows, maybe some thing like a Nightsister bow? (Avalified of course)

18. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Busy people be busy. There are some other issues whose outcomes I haven't seen come to fruition that I would prefer to see resolved first before I look into this any more.

19. Ulithium_Dragon

Ever since talking about tech bows, I really wanted one. I spent quite a few hours working on this, and I think it turned out really well:
    [​IMG]
    Excuse the random meteor falling on my head...
    I'm calling it the CB4 Lancer. Here's the short lore description I wrote up:

I'll release it tomorrow, I have a few bugs to fix, and I'm SO tired!

Oh, it's actually a bit disappointingly hard to see here, but the arrow does "materialize" over the bow drawing animation frames.

roguephoenix64 likes this.
  20. roguephoenix64

That's amazing!