July 18th Progress - Performance!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Zorochi

Zorochi Void-Bound Voyager

give us a normal content update already...
    its been forever and using the nightly build is not stable

khalismur and Pingeh like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

These things don't happen by magic. The next update is a big one, and is reworking several core mechanics. Hence, it's taking time to complete.

BlueofFLE, Crystan and Titanium like this.
  3. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

Sorry, I should have posted my specs along with my screenshots...

64-bit Windows 7 (6.1.7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3200MHz
    2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M
    12GB RAM (3x 4096 MB Kingston 9 @ 667 MHz )

4. MikoLightning

MikoLightning Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks like there is a pattern here. No one gets over around 66FPS either on a NASA PC or just a very old PC from the Win XP times. Even tho Vsync is off it doesn't want to go above the 66FPS wall.

5. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Sounds great, keep up the work!

6. The lol

The lol Subatomic Cosmonaut

The game does run smoother, but there is a different problem and that is that whenever I craft something, the required materials don't dissapear. For example, I have 33 wood and whene I craft some planks I still have 33

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Your fun has been ruined. Type /ruinthefun to make recipes work as they should.

BloodyFingers likes this.
  8. mr_underthing

mr_underthing Space Hobo

sorry but i cant start up starbound i payed 15$ for it and i downloaded it but then i went to start the file i clicked launch starbound and it said error,incorrect leaf block signture WHATTTTT DDOOOOOO III DOOOO III REEEAALLLY WWWAAAANNTTT TTTOOOO PPPLLLAAAAYYY ITTTTT :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

9. Clayment

Clayment Space Spelunker

upload_2014-7-20_17-34-22.png
    I keep having this rather quickly (1-10m) in a game.

I got 55 FPS in my ship and around 30-20 on a planet.

My specs : (Laptop Sony Vaio VPC-F22 S 1 e)
    Windows 7
    Intel Core i5-2410M (2.30Ghz)
    8Go Ram
    Nvidia Geforce GT 540M

Hope it helps.

10. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

Some people are saying that this performance optimization is too early, but as a rule of thumb, when your game runs at super low speed on rigs designed for AAA game titles, a little early optimization is needed.

Sadly, this optimization was the wrong one to make. The tile rendering engine could use some work, yes, but the main drains on the frame rate are: Lights and Particles. Those are the areas that need the most attention, and would suffer the least from some early optimization.

11. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I might be completely wrong, but the way I see it, this specific type of optimization doesn't need to wait until later. It just seems like the type that won't continuously be redone because it's just improving how tiles are rendered. /shrug

12. Feodrith

Feodrith Orbital Explorer

My FPS seems pretty stable at 60-64.

However I am getting problems when travelling fast, by using tech or falling from a height. My character just hangs in the sky until the tiles have loaded, then I can move a bit further. When falling I even sometimes get a "landing" sound when I am hanging in the sky.

13. Midnight

Midnight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wrong, this type of optimization was needed, not only to improve the performance on the PC players but also, and MAINLY, to have a cleaner code, therefore "easier" to code in the future updates.

The one you are mentioning is for later builds

Kawa likes this.
  14. Psycrow

Psycrow Master Chief

Sign your leaf blocks correctly? ;)
    But yeah make sure you don't start off trying to run Nightly if that helps

15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

isnt that a windows 98 error window?

16. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Deep inside of Windows, when all the fancy graphics are gone, you get error windows such as this. My colleagues could tell quite some stories about that.

On topic - while most of the time my framerates are okay, sometimes they drop on planets, when much stuff is going on. I am looking forward to this new and better performance!

17. IronFistSurvivor

IronFistSurvivor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Glorious. This will help with those chunk errors and those dungeons. I can see a phase 2 beta coming... Is it so? (I don't care when, really, take all the time you need.)

18. I'm about to give this a try after 5 months on hiatus, I really hope this improves gameplay for me.

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You're probably making your own thread in In-Game & Billing Support, instead of spamming emotes on a News thread.

20. MrWoods

MrWoods Void-Bound Voyager

Ok... Some time ago I was only able to play in OpenGL mode with really poor fps, almost unplayable.
    Now I can run it completely smooth in the regular mode!! I just wish I could turn the godmode off :(