1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Mods in multiplayer?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by relquiem, Dec 30, 2013.

1. relquiem

relquiem Poptop Tamer

Im really bad at intros so let me cut to the point can you use mods in multiplayer but not mods that add like ores or races i mean ones that let you like rename items for example or fly?

2. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

Hello,
    yes, you can use mods in multiplayer as long as the Server and the Client have the same mods and same game version.
    If you're hosting the server and inviting your friends - they should have exactly the same mods like your server.
    And vice versa - if you're connecting to a server you should have the same mods running on the server in order to have guarantee that all things will work.

goldengamer8513 and krylo like this.
  3. relquiem

relquiem Poptop Tamer

Thanks for the anwser :]

zortbg likes this.
  4. Nicoll&Dime

Nicoll&Dime Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks Zortbg! I was going to have to research that one, but that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

5. DonWraith

DonWraith Void-Bound Voyager

Some mods are compatible with servers that don't have them in the way that you can still join the server, but if you encounter anything that the mod would have changed the game crashes. This happened to me at least.

6. NeoSanguine

NeoSanguine Void-Bound Voyager

I have also encountered a issues with this. When using an armour mod that the server had yet to add. Although I could see my character on my own screen, but other players could not.

7. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

Depends. Most of the customizable ones (I.e take it apart block by block do) because they still only use the base game assets.

The easy way to tell is that if it adds new sprites, it won't work.

8. penguin055

penguin055 Pangalactic Porcupine

Elate likes this.
  9. Awkward

Awkward Space Spelunker

I have added in new songs to play for the instruments, those still seem to work on multiplayer.

We were having a Guess The Song game for like a half hour :p

10. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

yep. and they always will. they aren't really mods.

11. robot rooster

robot rooster Void-Bound Voyager

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Former Staff

robot rooster and Elate like this.
  13. 2good4hisowngood

2good4hisowngood Space Spelunker

How do you add these mods to the server? is there a server mods file?

14. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

The server plays off the assets folder of the person hosting the server. As for mod compatability, there's things to note. Certain things are handled by the server and others by the client, because of this there are infact mods that can transfer over to the server. Crafting recipes are held by the server, but manipulating data values just changes pointers which anyone in the server will be able to see the result of. However, it's not just the addition of sprites that will not work, addition of any extra data that the vanilla game doesn't have built in will cause the game to crash on attempting to load such data files.

15. The Owl

The Owl Master Chief

If only we could all make our on Playable fully custom characters. Right down to the last pixel.

16. The Scout Adventurer

The Scout Adventurer Void-Bound Voyager

sadly as fun as that sounds, some people will go nust with that and make penis people and floating f words, also we will have a giant blob a pixels walking around and admit it, no one wants that

17. Stroodle

Stroodle Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds like Spore to me.

matthew57778 likes this.
  18. The Scout Adventurer

The Scout Adventurer Void-Bound Voyager

its made with pixels, spore its harder to make stuff while in pixel art you can right Fuck in 3 seconds and make a penis idiot carecter in about 5 minuets, plus back stories for avain and such its not like you will make your own backstory

19. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Why is a 5 month old thread being bumped to talk about drawing dicks?

20. goldengamer8513

goldengamer8513 Void-Bound Voyager

thank you very much