1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP The Gallavoir: Gardevoir/Gallade in Starbound

Discussion in 'Races' started by Mackinz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Azelsoras

Azelsoras Void-Bound Voyager

Okay, so now that I can see your sprite's bodies, I have a little constructive criticism for you:

The chest fins/horns/spikes/whatever seem to be too long vertically. It's a minor detail, sure, but if you want try for accuracy, that's as good a starting point as any other whenever you can get more work done on the mod.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Too long? The horns on Gardevoir extend from the bottom of its white upper chest to below it's green lower chest, while Gallade has one extends within its (larger) green chest.

These sprites are currently WIP, however, and I did notice some issues when I was playtesting this specific version for the first time...which was today. lol

3. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Gld to see some progress on the mod.
    Hell, I might break my non-modded single player thing and mess with it
    well "non-modded" except for the avali mod

4. Azelsoras

Ah, I think I see the actual problem. Assuming you're going for accuracy towards official artwork, the green area of the chest for the Gardevoir model is too large. Specifically, it's too broad vertically. You could just remove some of the green coloring and replace with white/whatever skin color the player would be using. Again, it's only a minor detail, but it's one that I can't help but notice.

5. Mackinz

Haven't worked on the mod today, but I decided to devote a bit of time today to think about Gallavoir hair styles. Currently, they have seven hairstyles that are unique to the race:

GallavoirHair.png
    Unisex: Ralts, Ralts (No Horns), Kirlia, Kirlia (No Horns), Gardevoir
    Male: Gallade
    Female: Mega-Gardevoir
    I would like to make more, but I have no clue where to start. Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about borrowing some from the various Pokemon Trainers or ones inspired by other Pokemon (Gothita->Gothitelle, anyone?), but I'm open to ideas.

Also, @Azelsoras, I'm still waiting for your sprite of the outfit you chose. :b

6. ColateralDamage

ColateralDamage Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mackinz me and a friend where playing with your mod. It seems your hydrophonics blocks have a few pesky errors. The first error is just because you have a z before your leading bracket, easily fixed with the liberal application of the backspace key.

The second error is: Error: MaterialException: No such material id: 34463. This is because your ghydroponic.matitem is looking for the modulo converted 99999 itemID. Check here for details.

Change ghydroponic.matitem to this:
    Code:
    {
      "itemName" : "ghydroponic",
      "rarity" : "Common",
      "inventoryIcon" : "ghydroponic.png",
      "dropCollision" : [-2.5, -2.0, 2.5, 2.0],
      "description" : "What looks like solid metal actually contains an abundance of fluid and nutrients.",
      "shortdescription" : "Hydroponic Tech",
      "glitchdescription" : "Statement. Hydroponics. Best used as a soil replacement.",
      "florandescription" : "Hard metal can grow cropsss?",
      "category" : "Material",
      "materialId" : 34463
    }

Oh and while you don't need to, I changed the materialID for consistencie's sake.

After this you have two more things to fix, one being the item ID so the matitem can use it. The second being an in game error that makes the block drop a perfectly generic item.

Change ghydroponic.marerial to:
    Code:
    {
      "materialId" : 34463,
      "materialName" : "ghydroponic",
      "frames" : "ghydroponic.png",
      "particleColor" : [112, 72, 39, 255],
      "variants" : 1,
      "itemDrop" : "ghydroponic",
      "description" : "A Hydroponic Block. I think I can toil this",
      "shortdescription" : "Hydroponic Block",
      "glitchDescription" : "Statement. Hydroponics. Best used as a soil replacement.",
      "floranDescription" : "Hard metal can grow cropsss?",
      "footstepSound" : "/sfx/blocks/footstep_dirt.wav",
      "tillableMod" : 31,
      "soil" : true,
      "health" : 2.3
    }

Remove the leading z, change the item id to 34463 and change the in game "itemDrop" to ghydroponic, it was ga_hydroponic before.

So now our Gallavoir have working hydroponics, may the planting begin.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Mackinz likes this.
  7. Mackinz

Thank you for that, CollateralDamage. I'll get to fixing it.

In other news, I found a very cute Gardevoir picture that I think I will base the Gallavoir A.I. off of!

tumblr_m50s17o1iB1r6rr5xo1_500.png

Special thanks to user RedScarWolf.

8. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

@RedScarWolf
    look someone is using your avatar as a thing

9. Mackinz

*cough*

10. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

I know
    I pinged him on purpose so he'd see.

11. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

He asked me for it in a convo :V
    Thank you @Milly Rainbowskittlez for the original post

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  12. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

RedScarWolf likes this.
  13. Mackinz

Thank you @ColateralDamage for the issue report and step-by-step fix of the issue. One thing to note is that I will not use the material ID 34463 because I use material IDs within the 19900 and 20000 range for now, with "ghydroponic" using material ID 19925.

If you find any more issues, feel free to post again.

14. ColateralDamage

ColateralDamage Subatomic Cosmonaut

No problem Mackinz. You keep updating and I'll keep trying them.

Looking good so far though.

Mackinz likes this.
  15. Mackinz

Sitting down today and working on the mod. First order of business:

I want to change the Male/Female sprites on the character selection screen to something to reflect Gallade/Gardevoir gender distribution (i.e. Gallade are one hundred percent male, but Gardevoir are 50/50 of each), and remove some of the gender binary for this race.

Currently, I'm thinking of using a Dawn Stone to represent the "male", based off of this picture:

[​IMG]

However, I have not thought of anything for the "female". Does anyone have any suggestions on that matter?

This change will also be reflected in the lore.

16. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Maybe a Mega Stone, since right now there's a Mega Gardevoir, but no Mega Gallade?

17. Mackinz

[​IMG]

It could work, I suppose. Any other suggestions?

18. Azelsoras

Aw, man, I'm so sorry, I got busy with other stuff, and I completely forgot I was supposed to be working on that.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll try to get some more work done on it.

19. Mackinz

It's not that I've lost interest in developing the mod overall, but I am going to Anime Expo this weekend (starting tomorrow) so I just can't seem to focus on getting some of the larger projects I need to complete for this mod right now.

Would anyone care to see some photos from this weekend? Maybe I should start an Off-Topic thread or something.

20. Mackinz

Anime Expo came and went without a problem (other than this stupid cold...) and, starting tomorrow, I'll be back to working on this mod.

I would have started this weekend, but I got looped back into Digimon and watched the last decent series, Digimon Data Squad/Savers. My first anime in a while, actually. Helped clear my head and allowed me to organize some thoughts on what to do next.

Anyway, it's time for bed now so I will report back tomorrow evening with an update.