1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Glitch Ship AI Feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Izzabelle, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Do you like the Glitch Ship AI?

1. No, I really really dislike it

156 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Yes

47 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Yes, I really really like it

121 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. I am indifferent

46 vote(s)
    10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. @rrussom we don't need to bring it up again.

Finn Learson likes this.
  2. Locklave

Locklave Phantasmal Quasar

I for one would like a detailed explanation of why this thing is the Glitch AI from the person on the dev team that pushed for it to be like this in the first place. Also you could justify anything for any races AI if the were willing to stretch for rational.

Horses because medieval.
    Boobs because ships are female.

These are not good enough to explain this to me. This is making a joke out of the only npc you will be interacting with the entire game for the Glitch.

TaoJaz, qwepir, Jeoshua and 1 other person like this.
  3. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

I don't think they need to justify anything at all. In fact, I think it would be a waste of time when they could be doing something else. Why should they justify it?

Magmarashi likes this.
  4. AFancy400

AFancy400 Aquatic Astronaut

This is what I was getting at. Yes it looks weird, but the person or process that ended up with the Glitch wouldn't really understand that.

TheNameless likes this.
  5. Poppinz

Poppinz Pangalactic Porcupine

they wouldn't make it either....

6. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

Or that it's even being rendered, from a Lore aspect. Other than their bodies, I haven't seen any indication of the Glitch understanding the "modern" technology of the other races in any real way. To think that they would program an AI at all, rather than how specifically they coded the graphical representation, is actually an issue not yet explored. Do they secretly have touch screens and computer programming consoles that they just hide away from other races, even other representatives of their race? Do they understand programming, or is it like singing to them and they just do it? What port do they use to jack in to the programming matrix, and if they do use a port to jack in, what does that say about their choice of an organic lady with a horse head as the chosen graphical avatar of their race.

This goes beyond the whole "glitched" aspect of their race, this raises serious questions about what kind of creature the Glitches really are. They understand programming, then they understand computers. They understand com puters, then they understand they are the same as that, in some way. That would be similar to a human flying around in a meat-ship, in how it would feel to them. That would mean they really would be able to easily see it as a steed, but that does NOT explain why they would choose to make it an organic horse-lady that they can't realistically ride in anything but an unsettling way with unfortunate implications.

This is all far too much speculation, and leads, as you can see, to some really troubling questions... ones that Lore wouldn't be able to write its way around without totally erasing everything already known about the Glitch.

(I mean, lets face it. The writers of this game are good, but they're not Dr Who good)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  7. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

That's not true though. First off, the glitch are pretty clearly modelled after mammals; even if there weren't design considerations being made, they'd still have boobs.

The buckteeth is a flanderization, because why not?

The main issue I have is the flesh and bone part, but honestly I'm not sure if they're actually able to tell the difference between a glitch and a human. They may be programmed to see themselves and other robotic "creatures" that way.

Oh, and the bug eyes. Actually, I think the eyes are the main problem, because they're really unsettling >_>

8. Poppinz

because some of us like not having random things in the game and not having an explanation as to why in gods name it has buck teeth oh good god why

TaoJaz and Jeoshua like this.
  9. Jeoshua

It's the whole gestalt of the expression, the one that I keep referring to as "derpy".

TaoJaz likes this.
  10. Poppinz

its not actually flanderization

because it doesn't happen over time....

the glitch have boobs and stuff yea but like, i can just as easily assume that because they are robots and they build their kids, they dont have sex, that they wouldn't really have much use for breasts, there is still no reason for them to combine a horse and woman, you can just have a regular horse, that would work, i dont think robots would have any reason for giving a horse boobs....

11. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

It's not as random as you think it is? Also it has buck teeth because horses have stupid looking teeth. Horses have stupid looking everything really but teeth especially. It's just a cartooney exaggeration in a game full of cartooney exaggerations.

12. It's one thing to post your opinion and reasoning behind liking and not liking the AI, guys -- but at a certain point you have to acknowledge "different strokes for different folks".

A lot of you have articulated your points thoroughly and with sound (enough) reasoning, which will be beneficial for the devs to review. If you've already made the meat & potatoes of your point though, I encourage you to be more passive in the thread so that others have a chance to voice their feedback.

Once again, though, for anyone posting -- stay on topic. We'll have to start issuing warnings now :/

Zouleena and Finn Learson like this.
  13. AFancy400

AFancy400 Aquatic Astronaut

If the first piece of media that pops into your head for "good writing" is Dr Who, that explains a lot.

14. Poppinz

the other ai don't have exaggerated features, why should the glitch have exaggerated features?

The | Suit likes this.
  15. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Oops. I guess caricature was the word I was looking for.

16. Jeoshua

Maybe not "good" writing, but "creative writing that gets people out of a jam when there is realistically no way to get out of it". They've rebooted entire universes to get around stuff, before.

17. FLOknows

FLOknows Subatomic Cosmonaut

Really not sure why the old thread had to get locked and a new thread opened for the exact same topic.

18. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

What are you talking about? The hylotl AI is a pair of buck teeth and a sedge shade from being a racist charicature. He's is literally "Old Sensei" personified, but a fish.

Ewok and Skarn like this.
  19. Poppinz

god not the horse puns again.... lets think, what other things are used as transport in midevil times?

The | Suit likes this.
  20. Because people were getting out of hand, attacking each other's opinions instead of debating them, focusing on things that don't really matter about the horse a.i. (such as the obvious bell air lyrics funny text)

@Izzabelle already said it once, please stay on topic. I've been giving out passive warnings to people for the better half of two hours, I don't really want to hand out more than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.