Kadron Empire | For All Things Space |

Discussion in 'Corporations Archive' started by Shock, Jan 21, 2014.

1. LeeJohn

LeeJohn Phantasmal Quasar

((I wouldn't say that, but since you asked...))
    ((Also, sorry for my long abscence))

((Back to my main character))
    The anomaly, which indicated the arrival of Lee for the previous time, appeared again. This time the singularity was silent. It started as a point, expanding into the same size as before, in less than 3 seconds. Lee walked out of it and it closed, emitting a loud snap as previously. He looked around at the people present in this room not understanding why they covered their ears and said, "Has something unusual happened during my teleportation...? Anyway, I'm here to rediscuss something with your boss Shock and his worker Ken. Would somebody point me in the right direction, please?"

2. kenmario

kenmario Corporate Co-Chair

×after a while, Kenmario comes running into the room×
    Ah, you're here!
    ×pants slightly and adjusts his hat before calming down and extending a hand forward to shake×
    I really need to start looking into adapting one of my ship's security systems for use in this building...
    Anyway, you come with news on the smart walls project?

3. LeeJohn

((Sorry for the late reply))
    Lee shook Kenmario's hand and projected a nanobot, using his omni-tool. "Yes, I have some news. We introduced a new technology for these walls. First of all, we gave up alloys for several reasons. Instead we used our structural type nanobots. They are capable of creating diamond-hard structures within seconds. They achieve this by using magnetic levitation and connection method similar to the one used by atoms in crystal structures. That means about 372% of improvement in efficiency. What do you think?" He then navigated to a production cost table, which indicated that these would be reduced by 87%, when compared to alloys.

4. kenmario

Wow, I...
    I didn't even think of that. Using magnets to create opposing fields that interact with each other to create a levitating effect, but then using that to create a miniature crystalline structure that then creates a hexagonal cross-field...
    *proceeds to nerd out slightly, before straightening his hat and smiling*
    That's amazing. Absolutely amazing. We can start work on producing these immediately, if the boss says it's okay...

5. LeeJohn

Lee nodded and continued, "Well, our facilities will handle producing the technology itself, for they already have all the required equipment. When it comes to the magnetic fields, we use superconductor based on niobium (Nb3Sn). We have another matter that needs adressing. There are two variants of the system. The first version features n-bots, connected to an AI that processes sensory input and sends commands to the swarm. The other version uses nanobots that are a networked AI and have sensors of their own. Instead of adding secondary processing unit to the ship, you just place comm buoys throughout the unit. The latter is more efficient, but also 27,13% more expensive." He then projected two simulations showing different versions of swarms react to different stimuli. "The other significant difference is that the second variant cannot overload unit's main power grid in heavy conditions, wheras the first has about 18,135% chance for doing so. It is also worth noting that the systems we tested it on are the best solutions available for civilian sector."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  6. kenmario

*nods, and scratches his head*
    What if we were to spread different sensors to each different nano-bot? If different n-bots were to share a smaller network, then we could have a cheaper variant of the system without having to spend the same amount of money on creating the same sensors per bot. The network could actually use the magnetic fields between the different nano-bots - different variations, minor variations, in the magnetic field could allow the bots to send information to each other. This would create a network - have a few nanobots, each with different sensors - and then we could connect each network to form an inter-network. This would make it much cheaper to manufacture, and might require less power...

7. LeeJohn

"Oh sorry, you misunderstood. It's not like each and every n-bot has an entire sensor array, cause that would be negelecting the power of a swarm." Lee smiled and continued, "When it comes to comunication, they use subspace FTL connection protocol, which is more efficient than magnetic fields. Besides note that these are already used for movement, so it would create unacceptable level of interference. This way the swarms would have to allocate more processing power to clearing out the noise propably loosing precision on the way."

8. kenmario

Ah.
    *looks between disappointed and excited*
    Well, have you got a sample of the material?

9. LeeJohn

A briefcase appeared in Lee's left hand and his suit changed into battle armor "I will conduct a quick test. Please step back." A rifle appeared in his right hand and a kinetic barrier in 2 meters radius from him. He rose the suitcase to the level of his chest, and left it there hovering. "Take this rifle, and I want you to take a shot at me." Lee threw the gun to Kenmario and summoned another briefcase, which he placed right next to another.

10. kenmario

Kenmario struggles to grasp the rifle at first, having have it thrown at him. He takes the rifle, looks down its sights, and aims it towards the briefcase.
    He then lowers the rifle slightly, a concerned look on his face.
    "You sure about this?"

11. LeeJohn

"It was already tested extensively. Besides even if it decides to fail now, I'm also protected by a battle armor composited of carbonic nano-tubes, a layer of crushed diamond, titanium and stylish carbon fiber on the exterior. Other than that I have a double personal kinetic barrier, of which the first layer is modulated, the other is MT's CyclonicBarrier™, which is a technology successfully protecting dreadnoughts from any known kind of projectile, so... Yeah. I'm pretty sure." Lee smiled.

12. kenmario

"Okay then."
    He smiles. It's been a while since he's handled a rifle.
    He looks down the sights, aims for the briefcase, and pulls the trigger.
    The bullet fires out the end of the rifle, and travels into the briefcase within the blink of an eye...

13. LeeJohn

Within a fraction of time needed for the bullet to travel the distance between end of the barrel and target, the briefcase turned into a wall, 0,5m thick, 1,5m wide and 2,5m high. As the bullet hit the target, the projectile shattered into pieces. When the wall finished turning back into birefcases, Lee explained "This is a rifle of medium power and caliber, giving it weak penetration properties. The wall will behave the same when hit by a low power weapon of high or medium or small caliber. It behaves significantly different when hit by a weapon with good penetration ability. It will counteract by either giving a proper angle to the surface or making itself resilient and therefore working like bulletproof glass. Just more effectively."

14. kenmario

Wow. This is even more effective than what I developed. Do you have any other shapes it can morph into at the moment?

15. LeeJohn

"Pretty much anything. Shapes are made realtime, based on the trajectory of a projectile and position of units flagged as friend" He said and ellaborated, "So it will pretty much morph into whatever saves your skin. Another strategy is creating curved slopes that make projectiles loose their kinetic energy gradually... But that's a solution for RPGs, or 'rocket propelled grenades' if you will."
    EDIT: And he quickly added, "Right now we're talking about the so called 'Subshapes'. The basic way this entire system works is filling a cross-section of a corridor. The obstacle formed by diamond-hard structure is too hard for a human to pass, and if shot at, it will create subshapes to stop the projectiles on the same side they were fired. That makes the crew or passengers of the attacked space craft safe from any harm. It also supports letting through bullets fired by people with clearance."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  16. kenmario

Awesome. We can work on production right away, then. You have the, uh, API? I'm sure many military companies would be happy to pay for their own, unique methods of controlling this product...

17. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

Great work guys, I hope to see even more progress. By the way, I'm taking a long break, so whilst I'm away, kenmario's in charge.

18. kenmario

Thanks Boss, hope you have a good break.
    I'll need to talk further to Burns about those smart-walls...

19. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

Whoa, we have a partnership?

Actually, with the huge amount of people paying huge attention to this section of the forums, I'm glad that atleast something is going on...

20. LeeJohn

What's on your mind? Any other improvements you'd like to see alongside that API?
    ((Yay! Finally a profile pic that lives up to your nickname.))

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014