1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Gun Assembly 1.2.1

Break guns into parts, assemble parts into guns! Gun customization.

1. Healthire

Healthire Can't Most Program the Least

Healthire submitted a new mod:

Gun Assembly - Break guns into parts, assemble parts into guns! Gun customization.

Read more about this mod...

Zjordo, J_Mourne and Laterne like this.
  2. ThaOneDon

ThaOneDon Parsec Taste Tester

Another cool mod, woooooo

3. Laterne

Laterne Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great idea. Starbound need more mods like this.

But it would be cool if we could:
    - Dye the parts
    - Assemble and disassemble at one craftingstation
    - have a more diffrent sprite for the craftingstation
    - choose the Name of the gun

Zenima and LOL BALL like this.
  4. moddownloader

moddownloader Phantasmal Quasar

its like mnn but harder to get gun parts

5. Healthire

I agree with all of those things.

Dyeing the parts is technically possible, but all the colors would have to be put in some table in the mod and baically it's just a lot of work.
    Choosing a name is unfortunately not possible because there's no way to enter text into the game.
    A container can only have 3 sets of item grids, so I can have 3 for putting parts, 1 for outputting gun, then 1 for inputting a gun to disassemble, but I can't have a fourth one for outputting the parts. So I split it into two objects because otherwise the interface looks bad.

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I am super impressed. I'd envisioned that breaking down junk items and assembling more desirable weapons out of them would be the perfect way to implement loot and crafting to ensure balance, but I didn't realise this was a remotely achievable idea.

I have to ask, can the mod break down any (suitably generated, segmented) gun into it's constituent parts, or can only only break down vanilla weapons. If so, you might've just solved the riddle of how to implement the Avali guns (As generated guns that can be disassembled and reassembled and make this mod a recommended add on)

7. Djinn

Djinn They're not goats, darnit!

From what I've seen of it, as long as your guns are set up properly like the vanilla guns they should work just fine.

edit: You could even have a vendor that sells ammo kits for your guns that would change the projectiles they use. There's no need to make the stock/body/barrel actually LOOK like stock/body/barrel - the body could be the actual gun and stock and barrel can be little attachments or scopes or whatnot.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    RyuujinZERO likes this.
  8. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

...This can be huge.

9. Healthire

As long as they are randomly generated guns (items of the type "generatedgun") and have the sprites and icons set up correctly the rest should be handled automatically. I'd like to support non-generated guns too, as long as they are split up into 3 sprites, but I'm not sure how a gun like that would look, since I haven't seen a non-random gun with 3 sprites.

10. HyperMan19680

HyperMan19680 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd like to see some kind of support for Wurmheart's guns as well, since I loved that mod.

11. Healthire

So apparently some parts have issues working together and leave a gap between the parts of the gun. Unfortunately this seems to be something I cannot easily solve, but it should only be a graphical thing.

In other news I've made the assembler and disassembler one object and it should now be much simpler to replace a part of a gun. In an update near you soon (TM).

12. Maxiplayer

Maxiplayer Subatomic Cosmonaut

Okay, I have some problem that i still don't know yet:
    1. The shotgun after customize will shoot 1 bullet only, look like sniper-rifle, and yes, all my friend have same problem too (even have other mod or not)
    2. Some gun part not fix together, if they smaller than other part, they will make a little empty space between 2 part, example here: http://i.imgur.com/df1KdNM.jpg (please notice at the gun)

13. Healthire

I have tested with dozens of shotguns and haven't been able to reproduce that issue. Is it just with one shotgun or with all shotguns? Are you sure it's not a sniper rifle? If it looks like a sniper rifle and it shoots like a sniper rifle...

14. macodelo

macodelo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This might get into Borderlands. Oh my lord this if it ever turns into Borderlands.

Hmmm... My my this game of it ever turns into Borderlands.

But of course, so much to do with guns, but the ammunition is something to be said of. Crafting it should be simple yet be a variety as well. Anyone willing to craft 200 pixel custom tool cartridges? What about a gun that fires 1200 rounds per minute? I say 400k pixels for 12 seconds seems a bit wasteful.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  15. Maxiplayer

Maxiplayer Subatomic Cosmonaut

I do all gun part is from shotgun, and it happen to all shotgun, pretty weir right?
    I have a little video for you, enjoy: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8a8ek8zjhl75gmt/bug.mp4

16. Healthire

What other mods do you have installed? Those are not the default names for shotguns, I wonder what else isn't default about them.

Thank you for the video btw, that's very helpful!

17. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Cool mod, I mean who would of through of this great idea, I tip my hat to you sir!

18. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

would you mind if i tear your mod apart and replicate what your mod does in some other way ? of course with credit if it's ever making it's way into a mod of mine,
    i'm seriously impressed i thought we couldn't have multiple outputs and inputs like that.

OH! LUA... now i get it... nevermind

19. Healthire

Go ahead, do whatever you feel like! The code isn't trivial though, you will need to understand a bit of Lua and how item objects and guns work.

prodamn likes this.
  20. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

i didn't expect we'd be able to use lua to get multiple outputs, i may gotta look into lua more! i definitely need to xD