1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProkhorVLG

ProkhorVLG Existential Complex

Well, maybe if you were an adventurer, facing danger. But in a first world society, where there is no use for them, and most people have white collar office jobs... (not that I'm talking about Avali society, it's ryuujin's call to answer)

2. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

you have a point, and as some sci-fi authors have done, fingertip claws, while useful, would make certain things difficult, like typing at a keyboard.

3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

/has a mental image now of an Avali lying on a couch remarking how useful claws are for the ring-pull on a beer can.

Kawa and Intrebute like this.
  4. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

point, but imagine a Avali trying to reload bullets into a magazine....you'd need to leave in spots where the claws could grip, otherwise you'd have slipping issues.

5. mushroomsock

mushroomsock Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd kinda like a green/blue Avali, as these are raptors, and as far as I know, a lot of people imagine them being green. Then again, they do come from an ice-ball planet... If you would at least tell me how to add custom colors to your race, it would be great! Made a green Avali!
    [​IMG]

Also, best mod ever.

I don't know if there is one already, but a scientific name for Avali ( Like how we call our selves humans, but we are really homo sapiens sapiens) is Aurituraptor, meaning eared robber (Auritus is eared, and raptor means robber.)
    All dinosaurus also have 1 or more species names, for example: There are 2 species of Velociraptor, V.mongoliensis, and V.osmolskae. So I propose that the scientific name for this species of Avali is: Aurituraptor Avalius
    Just found an apex village, and found an apex who said something about Lubati sapiens. Is that their species?

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

"Hmm, Avali, taxonomic designation lubati sapiens?"

I like the question mark at the end there. It implies things.

J_Mourne likes this.
  7. Jetpack725

Jetpack725 Guest

It is possible, you have to edit the colours in the code.

8. mushroomsock

mushroomsock Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's exactly what I did! If anybody wants to know exactly what I did. I put in the color 4F6F3B in every "dirt" slot, second from the back.
    True.
    Maybe the apex name for Avali is lubati sapiens, while the humans, and other races have a different name?
    Maybe he just thought it up on the spot?

9. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Weight of the Sky

Iubati Sapiens was their original taxonomic designation in Spore. In fact, Ryuujin had meant to call them the "Avali," but because of how Spore's naming system worked, they ended up permanently named the Iubati.

The word "iubati" isn't quite proper Latin, but if you go for a rougher translation and use the proper word "iubatus," it basically means "wise crested," in reference to their feathers.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  10. Joneithevius

Joneithevius Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey, I have a question and an idea.

The question: Elemental attacks will be possible to add to weapons via data chits, yes? I've been thinking... will there be potential for extra effects beyond the current set, such as legendary weapon effects (Bubble sword, bone axe, planet-splitter, the like) or completely custom effects only avali-able for avali? (don't kill me)

The idea: If custom effects as said above are possible... reading the information on the aerogel blades and how they would break off and be regenerated gave me an idea. What if you could rig the weapon to deliberately launch a few blade pieces with each slash or thrust? It would essentially replace the bone axe effect for the avali weapons, firing aerogel shards instead of bones. This could be a hidden craftable, achieved through a recipe that unlocks the aerogel launch effect for all weapons. I don't know if this is possible or not, but this would fit the avali melee weapons well, so it's something to consider.

11. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Weight of the Sky

Ryuujin's got some stuff planned, but he's keeping his cards close to his chest. While weapon customization definitely has been a goal, he has also mentioned removing data chits.

So who knows what kind of system we'll get in the end. Until the Starbound weapon update finishes (adds in parrying and completes shields) it's unlikely we'll see anything on that topic from Ryuujin.

12. Joneithevius

Joneithevius Subatomic Cosmonaut

Aww, I liked the concept of the data chits as a crafting material for avali weapon upgrades. Maybe it can be repurposed?

Well, I hope at least Ryuujin will consider the idea of tying the regenerating aerogel blades concept into the game as a potential higher-tier weapon effect.

13. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

I'm curious, do the Avali go for cosmetic nanotech and/or genetic modifications? the biology section mentions practical augmentations, but it doesn't mention if the Avali would go for cosmetic stuff like Humans would. I'm also curious, if they did, how far they'd be willing to go.

14. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Well, it seems logical they may go in for cosmetic procedures too, though I'm not entirely sure what that might entail given most of their cosmetics pertain to feathers, which can be handled without anything invasive.

15. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

Ever played Deus Ex? When you have access to nanotech and genemods, you can go extreme, like how I know when genemods are perfected for humans, people WILL give themselves things like tails, claws, and fur....or make themselves look like elves. The sky ( and the limits of physics and flesh) are the limit when you can alter your body to any shape you'd like.

16. ProkhorVLG

ProkhorVLG Existential Complex

Deus Ex is brought up. *swells with science*

All this is just lore pertaining though, since this sort of stuff can't be put into the game in it's current state. Or do you somehow plan to incorporate mech augmentation and nanites into your mod?

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Both these sets of discussion fall way beyond the immediate scope of what can be implemented. This is like where people were giving serious debate over mecha implementation.

I'm not sure aesthetic gene modification would be a thing. Firstly, people grossly over-estimate the effects of genetic modification. Your body's core structure is laid down at birth, retroactively changing your DNA, would not retroactively change your appearance, not completely anyway there'd be some localised changes but other, slower growing parts of your body wouldn't change at all.

The only way to make such modifications work is to do it pre-natal, so a developing foetus takes on those properties; but grossly modifying your unborn child to have alien properties, would never get past an ethics committee, as it is on the will of the parents, not the individual who will have to live with it.

This all comes against the background of a setting where full body cybernetics are already a thing. So if you wanted to drastically modify or replace your body - then that is already within your capabilities and can be done as a consenting adult. There's nothing stopping a user with full mech augmentation to be plugged directly into a combat vehicle or mecha suit instead of a avali-shaped body.

18. Lazurkri

Lazurkri Star Wrangler

You're right about the inability to do tweaks to your body on a genetic level and have them take effect quickly....until you throw nanotech into the mix; have nanites change your body to match a template in a "Nanotank" or a "Bath" of some sort. You'd isolate the brain, of course. Either that, or do the advanced transplant method; have the part you'd alter grown, then amputate and transplant as needed.

And although some WOULD go the full cyborg method, I'd imagine there are those who would want to keep themselves as "fleshy" as they could; I know I'd want to. Internal modifications, yes; large scale augmentation like Adam Jensen, no.

And this is more "Backstory" in my mind.

19. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

As mourne said earlier, when your nanites in a setting are capable of that level of modification then you've essentially added space magic which undermines the integrity of a setting as anything you need to do can be handwaved as "nanites!"

Shaadaris, J_Mourne and RTBot like this.
  20. RTBot

RTBot Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]

Ahem.

Aesthetically, it seems to me that feather dyes would be the most common thing they'd go for if not going the cybernetic route. Certainly for female Avali, who tend to have more muted plumage this would make sense, since it's an easy way to stand out more. Their poor eyesight lends weight to this actually, bright colours are less likely to blend into the background and are easier to make out at longer distances, or at least, that has been my experience of being extremely near sighted, (Without my glasses, I can't even see what is written on the screen at much more than one foot away, but I can still clearly make out the pink of my avatar, for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.