Building/Ship The Republic of San Leone

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Beatrice, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

San Leone. Pearl of the Beta sector. Home of the famous Lion wine. A center of good cuisine, culture and intergalactic opera. San Leone is the golden-blue (or, if you like it better: blue-golden) planet in a shadowy red evening. A lost colony of mankind, isolated for years, searching for a better life outside of the militaristic society that Earth had become.

As a federal republic, San Leone is an important trading center and has established contacts with foreign species like the Avians and Hylotl. Good lifestyle is seen as real progress, and classical human culture – especially the Ideals of the Renaissance – are viewed as peak of human evolution. The inhabitants appreciate the fine arts. The spawnpoint doesn’t take place in the political center, a military fortress or a market place, but in the cultural heart of the capital – the Opera of San Leone.

After Earth was ripped apart, San Leone has decided to end its “splendid isolation” and claims a status as “New Earth”. San Leone is convinced that culture and commerce has a stronger influence and more impact than violence and military. Since the days of the “Revolution”, when San Leone became independent, the USCM was seen as enemy. Now, both organizations claim that they are the rightful successors. By establishing new colonies and searching for human outcasts, San Leone tries to unite scattered mankind.

“San Leone” is the capital and the name of the federal republic which I invented on a German multiplayer server. Everything was done “by hand” (no creative mod or other help). The only mod I used was “Starfoundry” – you can’t build an aesthetic city without some bridges, ponds and lakes, right? However, as I had some friends on my server who visited my planet several times, I received some gifts which accelerated the building process. ;)

[​IMG]

As you may guess, I like RPG. In fact, some of my ideas are connected to a theoretical race I invented in my early days of Starbound (you get crazy ideas when you search hours for ores). This race is called “The Leeven” – you may find more information here. Modders and pixel artists are welcome! :D

San Leone is still a pun on “Holy Lion”, but also referring to the Winged Lion of Saint Mark, which is the symbol of the merchant republic of Venice. This ancient republic (697-1797 A.D.) shaped my ideas regarding the Leeven and San Leone, and there are still many references to it. My character – Beatrice Memmo – is a descendent of the Memmo family, which was a very powerful and influential dynasty back then. The coat of arms of San Leone is very similar to the coat of arms which the Memmo family used – and it’s main symbol, the cedrate, is (in various stylized versions) the logo of the republic.

As the whole planet originally started as an “Opera planet” – you may know my first thread – I made some music videos, which I shared in another thread (mostly Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana). San Leone was used as a setting for most of these videos.

After months have passed, I decided to reorganize my collection, and collect all pictures I’ve made in the opening post. As San Leone is an expanding republic, there are still many things under construction and unfinished. I’ve also decided to put a link to videos which took place in a certain zone, and I will also add some background information. As English is not my native language, I have to translate them, which may take a while.

Note that you may enlarge big panorama pictures via click.

Serena system

[​IMG]

I. San Geronimo, Desert planet (1)
    II. Sant’Agostino, Gas giant (2)
    III. Sant’Ambrogio, Desert planet (2)
    IV. San Giorgio, Gas giant (6)
    V. San Giovanni, Snow planet(4)
    VI. San Basilio, Snow planet (2)
    VII. Sant’ Atanasio, Snow planet (2+Asteroids)

Roman numerals refer to a planet in the solar system; (x) is the amount of natural satellites.

I. San Leone (capital)

[​IMG]

San Leone is the natural satellite of San Geronimo. It’s the capital of the federal republic and famous for its opera, museums, vineyards and the glorious cathedral. San Leone is characterized by its typical blue-golden surface – blue earth and golden savannah – whereas the night creates a mythical red-black atmosphere (which is also seen on the navigation instruments).

[​IMG]

The planet is famous for its sunny, Mediterranean climate and hills – which is perfect when it comes to vine cultivation. There is also still an autonomous Glitch Kingdom.

[​IMG]

San Leone is divided in five different areas. All of them are connected with a sophisticated network of underground rails and stations at the most important points. San Leone Center is seen as the cultural center whereas San Leone West is the residential district. San Leone South is an idyllic place and the center of agriculture. City life and politics take place in San Leone East.

I.1 San Leone Center

The spawnpoint takes place in a hall under the opera:

[​IMG]

We can see the opera in the center. Under the opera, there is the center for archaeological research and studies, connected through a corridor with the ruins, which are situated in the underground.

To the left, we have the post office, a store room and the first station of the "A-Line". The whole city has an underground rail, so you can reach every part of the city in a few minutes.

To the right, we see a wooden bridge and the beginnings of the "Terrarium"; however, we will go first to the left, to the Twin Tower Park and the buildings of the same name.

[​IMG]

To the left, we see the library and underground station A-2.

[​IMG]

Further left, the university; with auditorium, lecture halls, canteen, research labs and the telescope. We also see a little tavern, connected to the center of San Leone and station A-3. Here begins the market place with the two remarkable, roaring lions and the market hall.

[​IMG]

Here the Mausoleom (right) and the cathedral of San Leone (middle), including catacombs (down) and a baptistery (left).

[​IMG]

I really love this building. ;)

[​IMG]

My favorite pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Building the cathedral:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures, including concerti:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos:

Opera:

Spawnpoint:

Market place:

I.2 San Leone West

To the left, "West San Leone" begins: the home of the upper class, which lives in some stylish palazzi.

[​IMG]

Further left, we see the Museum and the Botanic Garden. By the way: my character, (Dr.) Beatrice Memmo, is an intergalactic archaeologist. She always finds accidently unknown artefacts – which were some moments ago in the hand of some avian priests. There are rumors that she MAY be involved in grave robbing, but hey… looking at the museum, we clearly see that the stuff BELONGS in a museum, doesn’t it? And there is still enough space for Hylotl plunder… err, artefacts. Yes, artefacts.

[​IMG]

Behind the garden, the "Grand Hotel" of San Leone takes place. To the left: the city park and the station A-9, which takes place under the Eastern Glitch Tower, which marks the frontier of the Glitch area.

[​IMG]

More pictures:

[​IMG]

Videos:

I.3 San Leone North (Glitch Kingdom)

Here the Glitch area behind the tower; first the castle, than the other tower. I'll try to fill the free area with some houses to simulate a little Glitch village nearby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos:

I.4 San Leone South

Time to return to the East! Here the bridge and the Terrarium, right to the Opera. We also see the main station where different skyrail lines met and the beginning of the Vineyards.

[​IMG]

Here the last couple of Screens: The Vineyards, the tailor, and the vegetable market with an old tree.

[​IMG]

This picture is a bit outdated; in fact, the old Glitch tower was transformed and San Leone East begins behind it!

[​IMG]

More pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos:

I.5 San Leone East (WIP)

This area is still under construction, so no big pictures here until everything it’s ready; however, I’ll show some images to give an impression of this last area of San Leone.
    After a long time of absence, I've tried to revive the project and continue my work. Do you remember the last picture? I changed the Glitch's house to a station.
    Normally, I don't use mods, but our server introduced Starfoundry; as Metadept is now part of the team, I think that some of his changes may be introduced to Vanilla. I'm not that fan of modern stuff, but I used the liquid system to make this small fountain. The Mannequins are also useful to make something like a shop for clothes.

The building is still under constrcution (not much interior at the moment) but the structure itself is done.

[​IMG]

Besides the Procurazie, which I showed in the picture above, there are other projects under construction, mainly political institutions. Here is a picture of the Praetorium, seat of the Nine Praetores of the Republic, forming the Supreme Court.

[​IMG]

Let’s say hello to the Senate, the parliament of our beloved republic! It's really big! Maybe the biggest project I did in Starbound so far. At least I have some friends on the server who collect materials for me - I won't be able to do everything alone all the time. Certainly, the Republic gives them something in exchange. A Merchant Republic, hehe...

[​IMG]

I'm also working on the "Consulate", the third building of the government area. The Praetorium is the Seat of the Nine Praetores, forming some kind of Supreme Court (judicial power). The Senate is the Parliament (legislative power). The Consulate is the seat of the High Consul who leads the government and is the head of the cabinet. As politicians should be kept on a short leash, the Consulate is not as big as the other buildings to represent his status. It's a nice, harmonious building where someone can work and live, but no exaggerated palace.

[​IMG]

After such hard work, it’s time to relax in San Leone’s artificial lagoon!

[​IMG]

And here another building, the "Arena" for duels. It was inspired by a similar building which was posted in the Screenshot section some months ago:

[​IMG]

Videos:

II. San Clemente

[​IMG]

As you may know, San Leone is not only a planet, but also a federal republic which consists of other planets. San Leone is the capital, which I didn't finish yet; today I want to show you another member of the republic, which is part of the Serena System (the solar system in which also San Leone is placed).

This planet is called San Clemente, and a botanic research institute of the republic. First, I only wanted to collect and plant all trees I found on my journeys, but it became a little bit bigger than I thought. San Clemente is a garden in the sky, with artificial ponds, a greenhouse and a tower, which reaches the stratosphere. It's also used as a holiday destination by the inhabitants of San Leone.

Besides the pictures, there is a whole guide to San Clemente, showing the whole planet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos:

V. San Dionisio

[​IMG]

San Dionisio is a moon of San Giovanni and covered with jungle; it's known for its humid climate which is similar to the rain forest. The Ziani Corp. founded a small colony which supports the famous quarries of San Dionisio; they are hidden beneath the surface and very important for the prestigious buildings in the capital and elsewhere. The white soft brick, which is known as "San Dionisio marble", has reached a good reputation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Videos:

VII. Sant’Alessandro

[​IMG]

Sant’Alessandro is a lifeless moon. However, there is a giant statue of ancient origin. Nobody knows who was responsible for this. Maybe Sant’Alessandro was settled by an intelligent species, worshipping an unknown deity? No one knows.

[​IMG]

Videos:

Planets outside the Serena System (since Giraffe)

Baz-Ar, A Leeven Village in the Desert

Baz-Ar is a city of my own race, the Leeven, which is a oasis in a rough desert world. The inhabitants established a flourishing trade colony and fertilized the land with channels and plantations. Houses of small traders and established prides have created a wonderful place to trade and live.

This project uses also furniture which is only integrated in the admin code, because it should be a "blue print" for mod projects.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Video shows the whole village:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfmlVyjKanU

Vacanza, Holiday homes in a tropical Ocean world

Vacanza is part of the Concordia system. The new capital Concordia is a thrieving Metropolis, but when the inhabitants - especially the elite - searches some rest and tranquillity, Vacanza is an idyllic place to go.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here a short Video from Vacanza, including the song "Summer's Day" from Radical Dreamers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtXeBYQTe-c

Barchetta, a small Steampunk Laboratory on an Asteroid

First, we have a look at the house which is heavily based on the Victorian Style, and such, Steampunk seems a good choice... hello, my first tenants!

[​IMG]

Have a look at the odd wood structure on the upper left. What could be there? Sure, if we go victorian... there should be a hot air balloon!

[​IMG]

Behind the house, the asteroid has a small forest with cherry blossom trees...

[​IMG]

... which ends here...

[​IMG]

... where an airship waits with its captain. To be honest, this airship is inspired by a screenshot I saw looooong time ago, and since then, I wanted to build the same object for myself. So no credit to me! It's a bit different, but still not my idea...

[​IMG]

And here we have another small asteroid, which I used as an arrival point for other members.

[​IMG]

For a better overview: the house and the garden.

[​IMG]

And here the whole project, including two tiny floating islands.

[​IMG]

Nak Nak, Penguins producing Christmas stuff

It's christmas in Penguin land - or is not? The Penguins claim to change their ways and become honorable toy producers. But... is this really true?

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really, they are totally different now! Look at these cute houses, the fine interior and the harmless appeareance... it's good that even these perfiodious birds can change!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even if I have this strange feeling that they may hide something from me... hm.

[​IMG]

And here is the center of Nak Nak! The toy factory!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's good to have the feeling, that these righteous Penguins have fully embraced the spirit of christmas, working, cheering and helping to make even your holidays a full succes. Great!

[​IMG]

However...

[​IMG]

... why do I have this strange feeling that the Penguins are hiding something from me...?

Having a closer look at the factory, it seems like...

[​IMG]

... well, this is some evidence.

[​IMG]

And these books seemed rather interesting, but instead, they opened a hidden door.

[​IMG]

And where does this switch lead to?

[​IMG]

So many questions... but most important: what kind of toys may a Penguin hide? Morphball tech is your friend.

[​IMG]

Well... I didn't expect the Penguin Inquisition...

[​IMG]

Are these still christmas toys?

[​IMG]

I don't know WHAT the Penguins are supposed to do in this area, but for me, they are preparing an invasion. This smells fishy. Really fishy...

Penguins, oh my. Better I leave that place and move on.

Howdy, Go West with the Novakids!

We move to another planet which belongs to the Republic; with Baz-Ar, we have a planet for the Leeven, Nak Nak for the Penguins, and I also tried to build a theoretical Novakid Village!

Welcome to Howdy! Yes, Howdy is a name :D

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

Something very important happened here, and because of that, this historic building was preserved. Maybe a duel happened. Or a siege. No one knows... well, Novakids. Do I have to add something?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other interesting links:

The Leeven, Pride&Prey: This theoretical script for a merchant race (the idea is older than San Leone) served as a background for some “inspirations” I had when I created San Leone. Modders to the front! :D

A Night at the Opera with Mitsuda and Kikuta: Maybe you are interested in more Starbound music or videos?[/spoiler]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Urelius, Elecepont, Mauci and 33 others like this.
  2. valeska11

valeska11 Void-Bound Voyager

i just want to point out that i love the fact you didnt use any "not-implanted" items for everything. its all legit. Good job !

3. Tim_Katarn

Tim_Katarn Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is damn impressive.

4. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

@valeska11 Everything done without mods and handmade with vanilla ice cream.

@Tim_Katarn More pictures coming today or tomorrow!

5. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

The amount of bird monsters is alarming :eek:

6. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

We continue with our "tour de San leone". Click for original size.

[​IMG]

Here the Mausoleom (right) and the cathedral of San Leone (middle), including catacombs (down) and a baptistery (left).

[​IMG]

To the left, "West San Leone" begins, the home of the upper class, which lives in some stylish palazzi.

[​IMG]

Further left, we see the Museum and the Botanic Garden.

[​IMG]

Behind the garden, the "Grand Hotel" of San Leone takes place. To the left: the city park and the station A-9, which takes place under the Eastern Glitch Tower, which marks the frontier of the Glitch area.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  7. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Here the Glitch area behind the tower; first the castle, than the other tower. I'll try to fill the free area with some houses to simulate a little Glitch village nearby.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to return to the East! Here the bridge and the Terrarium, right to the Opera.

[​IMG]

We also see the main station where different skyrail lines met and the beginning of the Vineyards. More next time!

8. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Big Damn Hero

This is just so damn awesome...

Great work!

9. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

@EarlGrey Thank you so much! :)

Here the last couple of Screens: The Vineyards, the tailor, and the vegetable market with an old tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's San Leone so far.

10. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

After a long time of absence, I've tried to revive the project and continue my work. Do you remember the last picture? I changed the Glitch's house to a station.

[​IMG]

Normally, I don't use mods, but our server introduced Starfoundry; as Metadept is now part of the team, I think that some of his changes may be introduced to Vanilla. I'm not that fan of modern stuff, but I used the liquid system to make this small fountain. The Mannequins are also useful to make something like a shop for clothes.

The building is still under constrcution (not much interior at the moment) but the structure itself is done.

11. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Besides the Procurazie, which I showed in the picture above, tehre are other projects udner construction, mainly political institutions. Here is a picture of the Praetorium, seat of the Nine Praetores of the Republic, forming the Supreme Court.

[​IMG]

12. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I really have to ignore the News and General Discussion section of these forums and concentrate on my projects... like the Senate!

[​IMG]

More pictures will come. It's really big! Maybe the biggest project I did in Starbound so far. At least I have some friends on the server who collect materials for me - I won't be able to do everything alone all the time. Certainly, the Republic gives them something in exchange. A Merchant Republic, hehe...

13. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx Big Damn Hero

These are so awesome! Are they in single player or on some online server?

14. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I'm playing on a server, but I did everything myself. But as I stated, after some time when people discovered my planet, they made huge donations in the form of materials, because they wanted to see more ;).

There's also some lore regarding the Republic, like background story, history and some characters. I even want to open it as an RPG playground when it is done. Thanks for your comment!

15. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

This kicks my tree village in the pants

16. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

And it is still growing :D.

And thanks to Jonesy who liked ALL my posts :D

17. aliciawheatley

aliciawheatley Space Hobo

This is impressive! How long did this take?

18. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

That's a bit tricky, I'll try to explain it.

The first four screenshots plus the terrarium were done in February. I started with the Opera (spawnpoint) one day after the Universe wipe. At Valentine's day, I already started to build the Cathedral, but I also started to build the Vineyards; on the first day of March, the Cathedral was finished, and so were the Vineyards and the tailor (which would be the area between Skyrail station A-6 to C-1). In March, I did the rest you see until post #9. So I needed six weeks for the majority of things you see and started again to build in mid-May (my last three screenshots, posted seperately).

19. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

I'm working on the "Consulate", the third building of the government area. The Praetorium is the Seat of the Nine Praetores, forming some kind of Supreme Court (judicial power). The Senate is the Parliament (legislative power). The Consulate is the seat of the High Consul who leads the government and is the head of the cabinet. As politicians should be kept on a short leash, the Consolate is not as big as the other buildings to represent his status. It's a nice, harmonious building where someone can work and live, but no exaggerated palace.

20. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I'm taking a vacation for two weeks, starting tomorrow.

[​IMG]

... not in San Leone, though, even if it has an artificial lagoon.