1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Successful Risk of Rain executable rebuild

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HexZyle, May 8, 2014.

?

What sort of things would you like to see most in Risk of Rain?

1. File Loader for enemy, item, and player stat modification

53.1%
  2. Level Editor

55.6%
  3. I don't care about how difficult it will be, MULTIPLATFORM, PL0X!

9.9%
  4. Multiplayer-specific content (PvP Additions, Character Colors, etc)

38.3%
  5. Specific bugfix (please comment)

2.5%
  6. Other addition (please comment)

2.5%
  1. HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Introduction
    So AngelofSilence added me on Skype about a week ago, with the intent of cooperatively getting the decompiled code to work. We got over the initial issues (due to some problem with gamemaker versions) and mucked around for a few days with the collision code, which was baffling to the both of us in its error messages and odd behavior.
    Just two days ago, he comes to me saying "I've got it!" (which is a censored version of what he actually said :p) and lo and behold, a perfectly working rebuild of the exe is born.

We're kinda stumped as to what to do now.
    So the question is:
    What sort of things are you interested in seeing in Risk of Rain? We're currently working on a system to be able to quickly merge anything we work on with any updates the developers release on the game, as well as an update system that doesn't require us releasing the entire executable, for obvious legal reasons.

AngelofSilence says that a Multiplatform version is possible, but it's going to be very painful to not only convert the code into something that works in Gamemaker Studio, but also to keep it updated whenever the developers update the game.
    If a suggestion thread already exists for something you want added, please do link it.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    • Burby

Burby Phantasmal Quasar

Whoa, the modding spirit for this really is coming off the ground, huh. I saw someone else with the ambition to remake the game in its entirety in Unity, too. Honestly my first concern is what the devs think about all of it, but I imagine you'd have had that thought as well.

• Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

More items plz!

• HexZyle

The main issue we'd like to get over is not needing to have to distribute the executable in order to allow people access to anything we program.
          Until that's sorted there isn't going to be a public release.

• Matthanic

Matthanic Phantasmal Quasar

sorry if i sound stupid but i dont know how to ask this :p

if i got it all right we have the source code and stuff in gamemaker? how did we get this?
            also i like to have a look at it out of curiosity :3

• AngelofSilence

AngelofSilence Void-Bound Voyager

No, we will not be distributing the source in any way, shape, or form, due to legal reasons. Decompiling the game is easy enough, getting it to work is the hard part.

• ShadowlessWanderer

ShadowlessWanderer Pangalactic Porcupine

For starters, I'm casting my vote for more ways to modify items, player stats and enemies so I can make insane runs and just have a blast with it. The artifacts somewhat do this already, but they're very limited in what changes for a run. Next, I'm a sucker for survival/wave type events and RoR survival mode would please me to no end. It is mentioned as one of the kickstarter goals so I assume it'll be here eventually.

Grats for figuring it out though.

• Joe Dolca

Joe Dolca Big Damn Hero

Level Editor! If this works we'll finally have more than 3-4 layouts per level, or maybe even randomly generated levels!

Ixantir likes this.
                  • AngelofSilence

I have a toggleable sub-menu of the pause menu that allows you to customize your stats, so I'll most likely leave that in when we do "release". It, of course would be able to be toggled via the prefs.ini file ;)
                    It allows for some pretty fun runs, I'm working on adding more options such as changing item stats, though that may prove to be a tad intensive, due to the sheer number of items in this game.

• Matthanic

Matthanic Phantasmal Quasar

alright thanks for the answer :D

• Raiyuden

Raiyuden Tentacle Wrangler

Add more characters, items and levels! If you can add more modes too like survival mode (endless amount of waves and see who racks the most points), boss mode( spawns bosses each wave then increases number of bosses) etc.

• gamerzap

gamerzap Orbital Explorer

Any form of modabaility would be much appreciated.

• Jazter

Jazter Industrial Terraformer

Better optimization for less lag

Kitty Box and WoxandWarf like this.
                            • AngelofSilence

Go to speedtest.net and tell me what speeds you get. I don't experience any lag when I play, so it may just be your internet.

• Youkaibuster

Youkaibuster Starship Captain

I always like editing aspects of the game, so character, item, enemy and level editors would be cool. And if it will ever be playable on my PSVita I will never exit the train.

• Jazter

You don't need internet to play Risk of Rain. I'm not talking about online co-op.

Kitty Box, Elate and WoxandWarf like this.
                                  • HexZyle

You remind me of a thread that came up a while back regarding adding an option to hide monster corpses, animated coins and experience chunks.
                                    That's definitely something very easily implemented.
                                    I am curious to how much of an effect it would have on performance.

Kitty Box and Elate like this.
                                    • Youkaibuster

Youkaibuster Starship Captain

Some more options to improve performance would be nice, yes.

• AngelofSilence

So then specify what you're talking about. Lag is most commonly referred to in online gaming, and given that you wrote a 5 word sentence not specifying what kind of lag you experience, I assumed online co-op lag.
                                        To prevent these issues in the future, please be more specific with the wording of your posts.

• Jazter

Not my problem if you wanted to assume I was talking about online co-op even when knowing there are multiple causes for lag. You could have asked what kind of lag I'm referring to, but you didn't.

There is horrid slow down in this game even on above average PCs when you have long runs and start getting lots of money, health orbs, and many different damage sources. There's also the problem with corpses not disappearing after a while, like Toxic Beast for example if you're trying to farm for Monster Logs.