1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikhaos

Mikhaos Pangalactic Porcupine

I have a question regarding deviant avali, in the case that they completely refuse augmentation (if this could actually happen) and access to the nexus. Would it be safe to assume that these avali would be outcasts by society? What measures would Avalon's government take to prevent this from happening or do they just completey ignore it? Which branch of the government is in charge of these matters? Could a deviant break away from the pack mentality by creating a pseudo pack within other races and if so, given that they would probably be seen as reasonably sane to another race, how would he be evaluated by the system? :paper:

2. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Weight of the Sky

My guess is that it'd be an equivalent case to, say, someone refusing to get themselves vaccinated (like those parents refusing to vaccinate their kids out of unfounded fears of autism risk). It's not society's business, and they'd not be outcasts over such a minor foible of belief. But the rest of society thinks it's a pretty stupid decision and probably ridicules their reasons for doing it.

And yeah, deviants can break away or be expelled from a pack if they're causing irreconcilable differences within the pack. The exact mechanics of how the Avali drive to form packs manifests without other Avali around to interact with remains sort of fuzzy, but adopting friends from another race as a sort of pack (albeit a certainly unstable one) doesn't sound impossible.

3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

^ xD makes me think of how they might look talking :p

As Mourne said there'd be no enforcement, they'd just be seen as luddites. Think of computers and smart phones - nobody forces you to use the internet, but you'd be increasingly out of a loop if you do not. Imagine a society that is even more networked than ours, and not being a part of the system means a serious disadvantage to your living conditions and equality of life. Having to approach networked individuals for assistance on some things like you have some kind of disability. In a meritocratic government this is even more pronounced since your lifestyle choice greatly impacts effectiveness in your role.

But those individuals would not be rejected or forced into getting networked... not directly anywhere.

Marxon and Intrebute like this.
  4. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Anything? Please? I need some inspiration else I'm tempted to just abandon the whole idea of outfitting players on my server with a movement tech that isn't completely cheaty.

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

You'll be disappointed because their usual movement tech is already pretty well represented by double jump and they can already glide canonically. So anything prototypical that is beyond that would have to allow powered flight or hovering, which overlaps existing techs and/or is OP.

If I were to design a custom tech, it'd be something like a directional boosted jump - when it takes their current heading, then provides a short boost at 45 degrees in that direction, giving a extended jump/height boost, vs double jump which only goes straight up.

6. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Well I was thinking basically an improved double jump that adds some directionality to it, where it gives the user a short jolt in the direction of their choosing, be it with microthrusters, jetpacks, or otherwise. The double jump is pretty weak of a tech on it's own and so it the dash but if you can strike a balance between the two...

7. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

[nag]Why exactly is it that a hazardous environment helmet is somehow open enough to allow plumage to stick out freely, but still offer hazardous environment protection? [/nag]
    [​IMG]

8. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

Bubbles and butterflies plz.

9. Intrebute

Intrebute Pangalactic Porcupine

Butterfly farts op. pls nerf

10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Fire and brimstone, and trails that burn monsters.

11. SpaceKGreen

SpaceKGreen Existential Complex

Apparently the skin around the base of the larger feathers is extra resilient? According to lore, exposure of wing feathers and the skin around their base isn't a concern to them, so maybe something similar applies to head plumage.

12. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Well it looks simply silly, especially with my hair style or one of the ones that goes all over the place.

13. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

That's the arcane add ons mod.

14. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

But I will make flames spew all over, WITH SCIENCE!
    and petrol, lots of petrol, probably napalm too

15. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

I am pyrophobic and I hope you don't use that next to me on the server.

16. Comito

Comito Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm down for it being a thing.

17. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

It's a thing!

18. RainbowAvenger

RainbowAvenger Void-Bound Voyager

I ran into a bug where every time I interact with a merchant the game closes it self.

19. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

What other mods do you have installed?

20. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

So I think I'm just gonna leave this here...

...On a lighter note...
    That font's finally finished!
    Woo!
    [​IMG]
    Download link to the full thing:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/whp0hdybkb477c5/avalian.zip

Also I did end up turning it into a mod for starbound if any of you saw that image that Jetpack uploaded.
    Download link for that:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/i5dbdxqziq89cf1/Avali Font.zip
    [​IMG]
    Please... I'm just trying to lighten the mood... I just went through a bit of hell there...

I've seen this kinda take off with quite a lot of users already so I thought I'd just post it here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.