The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

I don't see a TM on it!

2. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Oh fuck no tm

Not saying it isn't cool, just saying it doesn't fit with Starbound.
    then again they're bringing in the psi staffs and mrgrgr

3. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

I know. but it's be a cool addtion to starbound as techs

4. C0lt3r2259

C0lt3r2259 Void-Bound Voyager

I agree more with Ehks, magic doesn't really fit it with starbound and its si-fi theme

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

There's an important distinction to be made there, asides from hard science, you also have magitech and steampunk.

Steampunk settings as the name implies typically used edwardian-era style technology (like airships, steam engines and blackpowder), but dial it's implementation up to 11, with steam powered mecha and airship battlecruisers. Good examples of steampunk settings include Dishonoured or Girl Genius. Some steampunk settings may have some magic elements, but they are typically secondary to the low-tech-high-tech

Magitech takes magic, and makes sense with it. Instead of there being a dissonance between wizards in their towers, and joe muck rolling about in the dirt - and never the twain shall meet. Magic is instead treatted as a science, it has rules, and using those rules you can create magical technology based upon those principles available to all. Good examples of magitech settings might include the likes of Eberron, Guild Wars 2 (Epitomised by the Asura, they have magical computers, kinetic barriers and railguns!) and many Final Fantasy installments.

These shouldn't be mistaken for settings where magic co-exists in a modern setting though, such as The Secret World, or Shadowrun, as typically magic in those settings is not standardised and available to all, but is somethat that exists, but stays in the shadows.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Intrebute likes this.
  6. BountyXSnipe

BountyXSnipe Void-Bound Voyager

Magic usually belongs to a fantasy game, though there are very few sci fi games to feature magic. Shadowrun is one of them.

7. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

Ask Battle Bee.

8. MrMadmanx2

understood

9. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

Eberron~ <3

10. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

BAAAATTTTTTLLLLEEEEEE BEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

11. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Should we get him? I have a rocket to strap him to all ready to go!

Marxon likes this.
  12. 0deneb0

I've gone ahead and written up the code of conduct for the Blood Wolf Dragoons. This is the code of ethcis for every member of the BWD. If anyone is ever confused about what my mercenaries would or wouldn't do, refer to this.

Blood Wolf Dragoon Protocol

Code of conduct

By joining the Blood Wolf Dragoons, you hereby agree to follow this protocol as long as physically able. Failure to abide by this protocol is grounds for termination, though exceptions may be made on a case by case basis.

I ______________ hereby swear to abide by this protocol, as long as I am physically, mentally, and emotionally fit to do so. I recognize that failure to abide by this protocol is grounds for termination, and that blatant disregard will result in not only termination, but execution. We live to fight. May the dragoons forever fly onwards, and may the wolves ever follow at our heels.

I shall never fire upon civilians, enemy medics, unarmed combatants, or disabled combatants unless fired upon or assaulted by them first.

I shall deliver aid to any injured persons as long as doing so does not put myself or other operatives at risk. Likewise, I shall assist those attempting to deliver aid to others when possible.

I shall never cause undo suffering to any being if it can be avoided. This includes delivering mercy killings to those with unsurvivable injuries, as long as the individual consents to it, or is clearly suffering.

I shall never use weapons of mass destruction (nuclear/ biological/ chemical) unless under mass assault, or when no other option is available

I shall avoid armed combat in civilian zones whenever feasible, and attempt to minimize harm to civilians if possible.

I shall never harm any prisoners of war unless they attempt to do harm to me or other operatives and I shall give medical aid to any prisoner of war who accepts.

I shall release prisoners of war at the end of an op whenever possible, with the exeption of those that have committed haneous acts against other beings.

I shall show respect to all living creatures, no exceptions made, regardless of circumstances

I shall never remove my helmet during an op, as doing so could put those I love and care about at risk.

I shall never use my real name, nor give my real name to other operatives. I shall always refer to others by their callsign.

I shall never leave an injured operative behind, unless they are operating under Dead Man's Switch protocol.

I shall never leave a fallen comrade's body behind. If there is no pyhsical way to retreive their body, I shall ensure it cannot be scavanged by enemy combatants.

I shall never desicrate the corpse of a fallen combatant or civilian. I shall leave them behind so that the enemy may collect their fallen and honor them in their own way.

Being of sound mental, physical, and emotional state, I do hearby agree to follow this protocol. I am now _______________ of the Blood Wolf Dragoons. I am the Dragoon's wings, taking them across the sky. I am the Wolves keeper, ensuring the Wolves follow at our heels. We live to fight, and fight to live.

13. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

tl;dr:

Abridged version:
    "Don't be a dick"

14. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I think it's that time in the day where I hurl my face at a pillow. Goodnight everyone.

15. 0deneb0

Essentially, yes. This is the "Specific examples of how not to be a dick" edition.

Shaadaris likes this.
  16. 0deneb0

PILLOW FIGHT!!! *starts swinging around a pillow filled with bricks*

17. MrMadmanx2

very firm and easy to follow code. Rahao may think about it himself

18. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

meanwhile I have a somewhat similar SUGGESTION of conduct, it all comes down to judgement really, though poor judgement is liable to get you court martial-ed

19. 0deneb0

Breaches of protocol are always seen to by the BWD council (think trusted advisors who keep the place running) In a breach of conduct, exceptions can be made if the council feels it was made in good judgment ie. firing on an unarmed combatant when every unarmed combatant encountered so far has been hostile. It a "do good when possible, evil when necessary" thing.

Also, who wants an assault helmet made for their character? I'm working on one and I thought it would be cool to base it off of someone's character.

20. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

I'll take one! I had an idea for an assault helmet for awhile, where the 3 "panels" we see on the sprite can open up and get out of the way in case of a HUD failure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.